Apple Music blues

mjzee

Frankly, to me this very discussion (the fact that it takes place) is disturbing enough.

Call me a dinosaur ... I use this stuff to some extent - also have an iPad since some days, and with its ridiculous 16GB drive, obviously you can't store much music on it ... I did hook it up with my amazon cloud drive - which is pretty limited in scope and more or less accidental in selection, as it includes only my orders placed with the German site, not with the French and Italian sites which I use more regularly I think - and downloaded some essentials, but mostly I'll use my smartphone with an added memory card for listening ... and mostly I listen to music that these algorithms probably wouldn't recognize anyways (how large is iTunes'/Apple's Amadou Ballaké library?)

Haha ... well, the flaw in the whole discussion, in my view lies in the mere fact that apple even "offers" a funcion that will store-on-cloud/delete-on-local-drive/make-inaccessible-once-you-stop-paying - no matter if it's users dumbness (donkey-ass-moron-ity?) that actually has it kick in.

But then I guess that's the ride we (collective we) chose to take, and this is what you get.

I was wondering whether you'd bring this latest bit up. Remember, Apple has not acknowledged that there actually is a problem, only that a very small number of people have claimed they experienced a problem. Furthermore, they are unable to replicate the supposed problem based on these few reports. I think what they will offer up with the planned update is additional information and a clearer set of directions so that people who choose to use Imatch and the iCloud to store and stream their music library have a better idea of what they are signing up for. Hopefully, this will reduce the likelihood that Mr. Pinkstone and a few others like him will make decisions they later regret, and then place the blame on those who gave them a choice in the first place.

• 2 months later...

I absolutely hate I Tunes, I Pod and all related Apple music stuff, which redefines the term user unfriendly, user hostile would be more appropriate.

I've removed all traces of it from my pc. Even that wasn't simple with files remaining that needed extra care in uninstalling.

I continue to hold on, but I know my days with iTunes and iPods are numbered.  I plan on sticking with it for as long as I can.  I basically like iTunes (the older versions of it) and think my favorite version was somewhere around 10.5 or 10.6 (roughly five years ago).  As it gradually became more limiting and as they kept adding features that I didn't want, I woke up and realized that I shouldn't be updating it without a second thought.  After foolishly upgrading to version 11, I managed to uninstall that and re-install 10.7 (an ordeal, but well worth it), which is what I've been using ever since.  I recently found that I had to upgrade to El Cap on my iMac for browsing purposes, and elected to partition the hard drive in order to keep iTunes 10.7 on the Snow Leopard side of the HD.  It's not ideal (obviously), but so far I'm getting along with it.  Still using my two 150gb iPod classics, and haven't even synced them in a very long time.  Plenty of music, almost none of which I purchased through Apple.  I've never been a cloud guy.

Anyway, it just illustrates that everybody has their own preferences and methods of utilizing all of this technology.

2 hours ago, Jim R said:

I've never been a cloud guy.

Anyway, it just illustrates that everybody has their own preferences and methods of utilizing all of this technology.

You know, I've looked at clouds from both sides (now...), and I still don't know clouds. At all.

Has anyone invented a MP3 player where the player deals withe the playing but you stick a memory stick in with the files? My home streamer will do this. Why not make it portable? Given the size of memory sticks now this could solve all sorts of problems.

Just thinking ahead to when my iPods die - I'd be lost without them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded iTunes 12.4.3.1.  Was that ever a terrible mistake!   Those of you have have iPod Classics, be careful!

As people have been worried about, iTunes is no longer thinking about the iPod Classic when it updates iTunes.   The new iTunes is much much worse with the iPod Classic.  For starters, there is no option any more to have a column browser for the menu that shows the content of the iPod classic.  Therefore, you cannot see and manage the music any more like in the past.   REALLY SUCKS!!!!!