I was only eight years old in 1976, so I don't have many musical memories of my own at that point. But my father was a big music-lover back then. He'd come home from work, put a record on the turntable, ease into the couch, and listen. If he was home, music was always playing -- so I have vivid childhood memories of his music. Some of my dad's favorites were Santana, Steely Dan, the Allman Brothers Band, and Hall & Oates. (I didn't realize it at the time, but I first time I ever heard Wayne Shorter was on a Steely Dan record. And the first time I heard Joe Farrell was on Abandoned Luncheonette.)

I do remember having a K-Tel LP of my own that included "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart and "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart. Still love those songs. ;) 

Music aside, I associate '76 with Jimmy Carter. I guess that was inescapable, seeing as how I grew up in Georgia. I remember seeing his smiling peanut caricature EVERYWHERE.

Carter_Peanut.png

One family friend even had a smiling peanut on their toilet seat lid!

6 hours ago, 7/4 said:

I was listening to Steve Hillage by then. I thought he was the next Hendrix. I still love those first solo albums by him. 

Just my perception at the time, not an objective judgment; I was tiring of rock so was probably not particularly receptive. I was a postgraduate teacher trainee in a hall full of undergraduates so was probably feeling a bit superior! As far as I recall, the concert was enjoyed (no riots, at least). 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Music aside, I associate '76 with Jimmy Carter. I guess that was inescapable, seeing as how I grew up in Georgia. I remember seeing his smiling peanut caricature EVERYWHERE.

Carter_Peanut.png

One family friend even had a smiling peanut on their toilet seat lid!

He was everywhere in Devon!