why is the nat'l jazz museum auctioning off all this Duke memorabilia

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/04/28/us/ap-us-duke-ellington-auction.html

It would be a good thing if much of this were sold to a museum, but the reality is that museums probably aren't interested in spending that much money for it - a sad situation -  and the family probably isn't interested in holding onto and storing things indefinitely, so they're going up for auction.

Edited by paul secor

i mean if it was ringos jacket it was be 6 million- maybe you really have a chance jsngry!  place a bid dawg!

well i guess besides the jacket theyre not gettin rid of anything -too- insane- mostly documents.  i guess if you really like one of those songs, it would be rad to have the copywright renewal docs.....cottontail: ready for the 70s!  

You think that jacket still has life-smells in it? I mean, if so, how much am I able to pay to smell the life of Ellington? I mean, is my nose ready for THAT, never mind my bank account.

But dig it, you wear that thing and people subliminally pick up, hey, you smell like ELLINGTON, oh, the possibilities that arise from that...

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the auction. The National Jazz Museum was only the venue for the auction. The lots came from Stephen James Duke's nephew.

the piano didn't sell.at the asking price of 300,000 not even when it went down to 50,000. A lot of the contracts went in the region of 300-500. Music manuscripts went mostly for more.

Edited by miles65
typo