Return Of The Film Corner Thread

Purple Rain, not a fan, really.

Under The Cherry Moon, mostly love it, some great comedy with some maybe obscure-ish roots, Pigmeat & Baby Seal for starters.

Graffiti Bridge, as Purple Rain sequel, no, but as personal allegory about the ongoing battle for the souls of black musics, hey, strong stuff.

Ok, Corner back, y'all take it from here.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Krigen/ A War - Tobias Lindholm (2016)

http://images.mymovies.net/images/film/cin/350x522/fid15921.jpg

Afghanistan tour of duty mixed with the wife and kids back home scenes and a courtroom thing thrown in for good measure.

I liked the directors two previous films, A Hijacking and The Hunt.

This one didn't connect , perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind.

23 hours ago, BillF said:

Our_Kind_of_Traitor_%28film%29.png

Going to see this one on its release tomorrow. Will let you know ...

Well, Bradshaw got it right again! - "mid-list potboiler". What intelligence, ingenuity and wit it had came straight from Le Carré's book. As soon as it came on the screen I was appalled by the colour palette - or whatever you call it in movies - and throughout the film a yellow brown tinge was never far away. Bradshaw also homed in on this, but in slightly different terms: "Director Susanna White favours a generic spy-movie look: those chilly blue filters surely need resting now."

I decided to skip the movie tonight and play a rousing round of "spot the Volkswagen" instead...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBrjQ1CyEA8UY8RNAvbeO

I have mixed emotions about this one.  I can't help seeing all the cop shows that followed, both on film and television, that tried  but couldn't come close to matching it.

Edited by Jazzmoose
double post

Hush (Mike Flanagan, 2016)  

s592

What on the surface is basically just your standard "woman alone in a cabin being terrorized by a maniac" is here made unique and fresh by director Mike Flanagan (Oculus).  The unique twist here is the central character is deaf, but she's no victim.  What follows is tense 80 minute game of cat & mouse, very well acted and stylishly directed.  The lead actress is impressive, she's also the co-writer and is married to the director, they came up with the concept of the movie over a dinner-date.  Flanagan has a way of taking very simple concepts and elevating them beyond their usual limitations, a gift that bodes well for the future.  

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Hush (Mike Flanagan, 2016)  

s592

What on the surface is basically just your standard "woman alone in a cabin being terrorized by a maniac" is here made unique and fresh by director Mike Flanagan (Oculus).  The unique twist here is the central character is deaf, but she's no victim.  What follows is tense 80 minute game of cat & mouse, very well acted and stylishly directed.  The lead actress is impressive, she's also the co-writer and is married to the director, they came up with the concept of the movie over a dinner-date.  Flanagan has a way of taking very simple concepts and elevating them beyond their usual limitations, a gift that bodes well for the future.  

Oculus was a classic. I'll make a point of watching this.

3 hours ago, kinuta said:

Oculus was a classic. I'll make a point of watching this.

It's a very different experience than Oculus, it's played pretty much straight, but I found it very riveting.  I usually don't like these kind of movies but there was something about this one that just sucked me in.  Very inventive use of sound design as well.  All the more impressive considering the limited budget; the entire film takes place on a single property, uses all natural lighting and only has a total of 5 actors. 

He has another mind-bending thriller/horror film coming out later this year called "Before I Wake" that looks promising. 

Edited by Shawn