Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched I Smile Back over the weekend and was so immersed in Sarah Silverman's seriously believable performance that it wasn't until afterwards that the movie as a whole was kinda skimpy really became apparent. But jesus, Sarah Silverman...

The Conjuring 2 (2016, James Wan)  

5756fe23e792e.image.jpg

Another nail-biting exercise in genre excellence from James Wan.  He is a master at taking elements that have been used in a gazillion horror movies yet makes them feel fresh and exciting through sheer skill.  He also understands that the primary component of a successful horror film are the characters, making them real and 3-dimensional so we care about their plight and he hires skillful actors to bring them to life.  Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Frances O'Connor all excellent, as are the young cast.  

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016, Dan Trachtenburg)  

91XquatU-ML._SX342_.jpg

Excellent "Twilight Zone-ish" 3-character film with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Gallagher Jr. inside an underground bunker with mad-as-a-hatter John Goodman.  An unknown "attack" has happened above ground...or has it?  This simple setup launches a very entertaining, intelligent, dark (and darkly funny) tale with a bravura climax.  

Not a sequel to Cloverfield per se, but as producer J.J. Abrams described "it's a different ride in the same amusement park".  

Goodman and Winstead are both first-rate, Goodman chews the scenery with glee, Winstead communicates mostly with her eyes. It's an excellent study in acting contrast, both equally effective.  

One of my favorite films of 2016 thus far.  

Saw “Money Monster” last night. What a joke — though it did build up some momentum, and Julia Roberts was quite good, very much at ease in a non-glamorous, non-sexy role. Does George Clooney have a plate in his mouth or some other major dental appliance, maybe even a set of false teeth? Suddenly it looked that way to me.

Enjoyed the guy's pregnant girlfriend but not the guy. (You'll have to see the movie to find out to who "the guy" is.)  My wife, who knows her boroughs, said that he was southern Massachusetts, not Queens. The villain and what he did were stupid. Was amused by Dennis Boutsikaris’ (the villain's CFO) attempt to assume the role that Ron Silver would have played once upon a time; they almost had him in a Ron Silver disguise.

The Last Man On The Moon - Mark Craig (2014)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91RycE7lqTL._SY445_.jpg

Makes a good companion piece to In The Shadow Of The Moon.

Spectacular footage of the Apollo 17 night launch, which used the most powerful Titan booster of the programme.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - David Fincher

http://s4.thcdn.com/productimg/600/600/10589192-7444306787388228.jpg

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Agreed. Zuliekha and Kal both did a great job!

zuleikha-robinson-an.jpg

True, but Irrfan Khan and Tabu were superb as the parents.

I'm a big fan of Mr Khan and Tabu is just stunning.

If you haven't seen The Lunchbox then I strongly recommend it.

6 hours ago, kinuta said:

True, but Irrfan Khan and Tabu were superb as the parents.

I'm a big fan of Mr Khan and Tabu is just stunning.

If you haven't seen The Lunchbox then I strongly recommend it.

I agree, and The Lunchbox is a great movie.