Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The-Mouse-on-the-Moon-1963.jpg

The 1963 sequel to The Mouse That Roared.  While the latter film had the benefit of Peter Sellers in multiple roles, this film is quite successful on its own terms with a more than capable comedic cast.  In this very enjoyable satire of the "space race", the tiny Duchy of Grand Fenwick asks the USA for a small loan to aid in their space research program,  all the while intending to use the money to bring indoor plumbing to their land.  The duchy's most renowned scientist, though, has found a way to use their unstable wine as a sort of propellant and circumstances happen so that they actually do develop a viable rocket to the moon.  Not the most hilarious film one will ever see, but it does have many funny moments & performances and is thoroughly enjoyable.  Directed (as was the first film) by Richard Lester.

Edited by duaneiac

11 hours ago, kinuta said:

Right, I liked it too.

Stephen Soderbergh triple bill

Haywire (2011)

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/haywire-2012/large_9Phekw0wsdeBpZtcbHE26UfjlF5.jpg

Contagion (2011)

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/contagion-2011/large_kbC6I0AOSLTHFA2dieyat9h8QHP.jpg

Side Effects (2013)

https://wwhan12.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/poster2.jpg

Of those, I've seen the last two - both on medical themes. Liked the second sufficiently to watch it a second time.

I like all three of those Soderbergh films (I like most of his films actually).  

Been catching up with some of the stuff I missed from last year:  

81h0BsqKk4L._SX342_.jpg

81Q3ULi6SLL._SX342_.jpg

Both excellent.  The Big Short really impressed me for being able to take a seriously dry topic and make it entertaining, educational and of course infuriating.  Spotlight was just an old-school newspaper drama ala All The Presidents Men...but a damn fine one I thought.  

Then I watched my vote for the WORST FILM OF 2016 so far.....  

A1fTAVB%2BNtL._SX342_.jpg

What a steaming pile of shit!  One good point:  Gal Gadot.  She didn't have much to do, but I think she's going to be a good Wonder Woman and thankfully Hack (Zack) Snyder is NOT directing the upcoming standalone WW film.   

14 hours ago, BillF said:

Of those, I've seen the last two - both on medical themes. Liked the second sufficiently to watch it a second time.

Haywire is well worth a watch.

A B movie with an A list cast, made with Soderbergh's usual panache and visual flair.

I think you'd find it entertaining. I've watched it a few times.

Will be working through some more of his catalogue this week.

On July 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM, BillF said:

Following Drive and Only God Forgives, felt I had to see Refn's latest. Visuals and soundtrack the main virtues.

NeonDemonsoundtrackcover.jpg

This is one I'd like to catch in the theater if I can get my schedule to sync up.  

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

This is one I'd like to catch in the theater if I can get my schedule to sync up.  

Yes, worth seeing.

8 hours ago, kinuta said:

Haywire is well worth a watch.

A B movie with an A list cast, made with Soderbergh's usual panache and visual flair.

I think you'd find it entertaining. I've watched it a few times.

Will be working through some more of his catalogue this week.

Have added it to my rental list.

Two more from Stephen Soderbergh

Sex Lies & Videotape (1989)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51sVy6LdPdL.jpg

Surpisingly I hadn't rewatched this for about 15 years. The last time was on VHS so the difference in quality  and time lapse made it seem like I was watching for the first time.

Very interesting and absorbing, technically excellent , well written and executed.

It's only weakness for me was my inability to really relate to the characters. They seemed just objects for manipulation as part of the story.

Still, very good and worth yet another viewing soon.

King Of The Hill (1993)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/510LLKoFcLL.jpg

This is the first Soderbergh film that fully won me over. The cerebral aspects of Sex Lies and Kafka are put aside for straight narrative storytelling.

Beautifully made, glowing cinematography, fine set design and a memorable performance as young Aaron by Jesse Bradford.

The tough story of the kid's fight with poverty and bad luck is told without a shred of sentimentality, concentrating on his true grit and intelligence.

A great film and the best of Soderbergh's early work imho. Recommended without reservation.

Re-watched two of my all-time favorite comedies, both from the wonderfully demented mind of Preston Sturges.  

71kerQk-YfL._SX385_.jpg

"One of these days they're just going to find your hair ribbon and an axe somewhere."

51A1VP6XTZL._SY445_.jpg

"That's one of the tragedies of this life - that the men who are most in need of a beating are always enormous.."  

I Am Belfast - Christopher Cousins  (2015)

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IAmBelfast11.jpg

Bland , impressionist type portrait of Belfast. Droning, barely comprehensible voice over almost sank it for me.

A great pity because the present day footage by maestro Christopher Doyle is beautiful .

If only they'd put a sock in the nonsense narration and let the photography speak for itself.

Can't compare with Of Time & The City.

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

Re-watched two of my all-time favorite comedies, both from the wonderfully demented mind of Preston Sturges.  

71kerQk-YfL._SX385_.jpg

"One of these days they're just going to find your hair ribbon and an axe somewhere."

51A1VP6XTZL._SY445_.jpg

"That's one of the tragedies of this life - that the men who are most in need of a beating are always enormous.."  

Love both films.