• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

itsonlytheendoftheworld.jpg

It's Only the End of the World

Very disappointing. The brilliant Xavier Dolan - I loved Mommy - has made the mistake in moving from Canada to the French film industry of choosing a stage play as the basis of his film, and a pretty absurdist one at that: dialogue 100%, locations 0%, plot 0%.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

itsonlytheendoftheworld.jpg

It's Only the End of the World

Very disappointing. The brilliant Xavier Dolan - I loved Mommy - has made the mistake in moving from Canada to the French film industry of choosing a stage play as the basis of his film, and a pretty absurdist one at that: dialogue 100%, locations 0%, plot 0%.

Right. I thought it was a load of rubbish, so much so that I didn't bother posting about it.

How could two greats like Cassel and Cotillard  be involved in this nonsense.

10 hours ago, kinuta said:

Right. I thought it was a load of rubbish, so much so that I didn't bother posting about it.

How could two greats like Cassel and Cotillard  be involved in this nonsense.

Bradshaw reported: "The film won the Grand Prix at Cannes, but the critics received it icily." For once, I'm with the critics.

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

The Daughter - modern day adaptation of Ibsen's The Wild Duck. Pretty good.

Yes, I saw it. It was OK.

Edited by BillF

the_glass_wall-515380100-large.jpg

A run-of -the-mill potbolier which never reaches the boiling point.  Vitorio Gassman plays a Hungarian refugee who stows away on a boat to NYC after WW2.  Since he is a stowaway, he can't enter the country legally, but if he can prove that he helped the Allied forces in the war, he can gain entry.  He had helped an American GI escape capture, but all he knew about the man was that he was named Tom and was a clarinet player who said he just wanted to get back to his job in Times Square.  So, Mr. Gassman's character jumps ship and makes his way through NYC trying to find this "Tom" chap (played by future Rob & Laura Petrie neighbor, Jerry Paris).  He helps a tough, down on her luck girl (played by Gloria Grahame) out of a jam and she in turn helps him in his quest.  Jack Teagarden has one line.  Shelly Manne is seen as the drummer in Big T's band.

Also on the DVD was

MPW-25237

another 1953 Columbia pic.  I could not make it very far into this one, though.  Charlton Heston's scenery chewing was just too much.  Not even the usually watchable Lizabeth Scott could keep me watching this one.  Once they reached the obligatory scene where the two characters express how much each infuriates the other and then they end up in a passionate kiss, I turned it off.  But hey -- "Ghost Surgeon"!!!  Now that's a movie I really want to see!!! :)

Also on the DVD is an episode from a TV series called "All-Star Theater" starring Howard Duff and Janet Blair.  It's actually a pretty good rehash of a Sam Spade type story in which Mr. Duff's character, Johnny Abel, gets mixed up in some case by an attractive, mysterious dame, gets knocked unconscious a couple of times and then solves the case.

MOV_cef4be12_b.jpg

Finally saw this one.  I have to admit, for a superhero movie, this one was pretty good.  But is it just me?  This CGI stuff they use today hits similar to the way static on an old AM radio does.  Seriously, my brain won't process this stuff-at times it just looks like noise.  It works fine in an animated feature, but in live action, it just doesn't work.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

MV5BMjE3NTE3NzY2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY3

Very much enjoyed this when I saw it on release a couple of years ago. Didn't stand up to rewatching as well as I'd expected.

Didn't impress me on my first, and only, viewing. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Monsieur Hire - Patrice Leconte (1989)

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/monsieur-hire-1989/large_jrLUxpEGCV11OStmz1fqHA1bkXq.jpg

ABD1127_DVD_Wrinkles_3D_2.jpg

If there is a category of "coming of age" movies, I guess this might fit into the category of "going of age" movies since it looks at the other end of the lifespan.  It deals with the lives of some of the residents of a retirement home without being overly sentimental or depressing.  Pretty good.

Little Men - Ira Sachs (2016)

http://www.impawards.com/2016/posters/little_men_ver2_xlg.jpg

Good little film. Two young lads in Brooklyn become best friends. Ones mother rents a shop from the others parents, who want to raise her rent. The seamstress is well acted by Paulina Garcia,  who played ' Gloria,' and her son is a force of nature, played by a kid called Michael Barbieri, who bursts on the screen like a tiny DeNiro/Pacino. The rest of the cast are all great too.  I liked it.

Interiors - Woody Allen (1978) BR

http://images2.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/158633_front.jpg

It's stood the test of time quite well, and doesn't sound quite as forced as it once did, imho.

Edited by kinuta