Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

next-stop-greenwich-village-movie-poster

A film which at least always holds one's interest with a marvelous performance by Shelley Winters.  The cast also includes the young Christopher Walken and Jeff Goldblum and the always enjoyable Lou Jacobi.  There is also a blink-and-you'll-miss-him appearance by Bill Murray.  A plus for me was the DBQ music included in the soundtrack even if "Three To Get Ready" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk" did not yet exist in 1953.

9084ff4e83879d744739bff6fbfed681.jpg

Kind of felt more like a gangster picture than a western.  Walter Huston (in his final film) plays T.C. Jeffords, a powerful and feared New Mexico cattle baron.  Barbara Stanwyck plays his daughter, Vance (kind of a warm up for her later role on The Big Valley).  Father and daughter are very much alike in personality, spirit and drive and there is more than a little hint of a deeper "love" between them (being as his wife/her mother is dead).  When another woman comes along to vie for her father's affections and when he betrays Vance by killing one of her closest friends, she sets off on a revenge quest to take control of the family business from him.  Great performances by those two stars.  Wendell Corey read his lines well, I guess, but it's hard to imagine a woman like Barbara Stanwyck getting hot and bothered by a cardboard cut-out like him.

A Hologram for the King

An interesting movie-version of the novel by Dave Eggers (which I haven't read).  Among other things, it comments on globalisation and the hollowing out of manufacturing in the West.  Like many consultants, we chased some big contract in the Middle East (though Bahrain, not Saudi Arabia) and in the end, we were more than happy when the deal fell through.  The guy who is Tom Hanks' driver/guide in the film is definitely a highlight.

Edited by ejp626

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

9084ff4e83879d744739bff6fbfed681.jpg

Kind of felt more like a gangster picture than a western.  Walter Huston (in his final film) plays T.C. Jeffords, a powerful and feared New Mexico cattle baron.  Barbara Stanwyck plays his daughter, Vance (kind of a warm up for her later role on The Big Valley).  Father and daughter are very much alike in personality, spirit and drive and there is more than a little hint of a deeper "love" between them (being as his wife/her mother is dead).  When another woman comes along to vie for her father's affections and when he betrays Vance by killing one of her closest friends, she sets off on a revenge quest to take control of the family business from him.  Great performances by those two stars.  Wendell Corey read his lines well, I guess, but it's hard to imagine a woman like Barbara Stanwyck getting hot and bothered by a cardboard cut-out like him.

One of my favourites.

The Salesman - Asghar Farhadi (2016)

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/the-salesman-1.jpg

The fourth great film from this director. :tup

Contratiempo : The Invisible Guest - Oriol Paulo (2017)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R5xD9BOROuDTvQHYKc00zWM8I-0Ec7uwEAaO04OtfzCfqWddjQgR1qT0lAlMlV3PJSKlhm_wXe3yhQ2RexE4bLf04_L-4M3Yfw7HrbEQn3LKYYoKVka1rJV6oHzTGmU2KKPkp6S2Kdke0JvXLvp4_FnDqgE92ZShIZUcUdsJPL38NrIXPRDDmbvElBCLBLAph6rkNurBBOITevcc3pA9Wu9RziuEDPdP82alCoE0_xh0Msie-YIWhm9y2W2JPFxrSKlu5vK7O6nagcyYUcdiWi0GlOrV3GzG0vIotxTBqzqrgUq9eUG4PZS_auvXwtQdQ3sW62k3tpviOnDF9ENG0StbHZr43AemLJS5g9avO_xZGZ-fOo1xVkK3NOM5kMNI4A4ttqG2HqMF2K5WvEMkMp6HqvL-QtwqCWfI0QRe6U7FttmZAods4zwngoTDH1arOulyOdBf4IKPcx3wnvZCQumGigIDfofMdYiZ3X5GxZPt4XOMPbwvtoe3i_S3BarAHSMgvC6wqB9TQfM7f3BR_-8It4apprPIiMPtM9837D4TBd6P3MXgpDxwIELMistQaJxQAnjTJ6UY87SvZqK_jBBReXHwrIKBPrtr4KwsOvcMT0IveA=w417-h590-no

Gripping thriller with ultra serpentine plot. Highly entertaining follow up to El Cuerpo: The Body.