Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kinuta said:

The Limehouse Golem - Juan Carlos Medina (2016)

http://empireonline.media/jpg/70/0/0/1280/960/aspectfit/0/0/0/0/0/0/c/articles/59108d8cde75ed1213451250/limehouse-golem-poster.jpg

Another variation on Jack The Ripper.

Watchable but undeserving of the sparkling reviews.

Murder By Decree is still the undisputed champion of the Ripper genre.

Haven't seen that one, but I'll watch just about anything with Bill Nighy in it - fascinating actor imo.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That film has had very mixed reviews over here. Shame, otherwise I would have checked it out.

The title makes me chuckle as it conjours an image of Gollum living in Limehouse..^_^

Doubtless that was the image intended. Victorian Limehouse and Whitechapel were areas with large numbers of Jewish people so a monster of sorts stalking the streets would have fit in with Golem mythology. Nothing stopping you checking it out, my take is only that.

If you haven't seen Murder By Decree then I'd recommend it as a much better film. Christopher Plummer, James Mason and Donald Sutherland are just three of the excellent cast.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That film has had very mixed reviews over here. Shame, otherwise I would have checked it out.

The title makes me chuckle as it conjours an image of Gollum living in Limehouse..^_^

Doubtless that was the image intended. Victorian Limehouse and Whitechapel were areas with large numbers of Jewish people so a monster of sorts stalking the streets would have fit in with Golem mythology. Nothing stopping you checking it out, my take is only that.

If you haven't seen Murder By Decree then I'd recommend it as a much better film. Christopher Plummer, James Mason and Donald Sutherland are just three of the excellent cast.

On 12/09/2017 at 8:16 AM, kinuta said:

Cheers.

Will watch. It slipped under my radar.

Watched it last night. Well done journey into darkness.

For some reason it's hopelessness and sense of being trapped in an inescapable horror reminded me of  ' I Am A Fugitive From The Chain Gang'.

LIfe With Father - Michael Curtiz (1947)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CLmYnBsSa74/TsIReiJpaxI/AAAAAAAAAGg/OKr27ZOeQ74/s1600/LifeWithFather.jpg

Father is self important, pompous and a crushing bore.

Nice Irene Dunne should have taken the money and left with the kids.

Two hours in father's company are more than ample.

The film has aged badly . I found it barely watchable, with William Powell's one note performance shrill and irritating.

Comanche Station - Budd Boetticher (1960)

https://resizing.flixster.com/_U6GHnG17Rzfit83AkznQGpBisU=/206x305/v1.bTsxMTYyMzExNztqOzE3NTQ5OzEyMDA7NjE3OzEwNzk

You can't go wrong with Budd & Randolph.

Paris Can Wait - Eleanor Coppola (2017)

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/posters/300/P/Paris-Can-Wait-2017.jpg

Two people drive from the French riviera to Paris. They see lots of lovely scenery and stuff themselves silly on gourmet food.

Lightweight and charming but super undemanding.

Alec Baldwin is listed on the credits but only makes a cameo appearance.

The food looks really divine.

Churchill - Jonathon Teplitzky (2017)

https://cdn.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Churchill-poster.png

Didn't know quite what to make of this. Sterling performances by Brian Cox and Miranda Richardson.

The idea of Churchill as a high maintenance narcissist, sulking over his diminished role as a decision maker was problematic to say the least.

Partially redeemed by an inspirational ending speech, but the jury is out on this one.

Looking forward to seeing what Gary Oldman does with the part

Edited by kinuta

5 hours ago, kinuta said:

Churchill - Jonathon Teplitzky (2017)

https://cdn.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Churchill-poster.png

Didn't know quite what to make of this. Sterling performances by Brian Cox and Miranda Richardson.

The idea of Churchill as a high maintenance narcissist, sulking over his diminished role as a decision maker was problematic to say the least.

Partially redeemed by an inspirational ending speech, but the jury is out on this one.

Looking forward to seeing what Gary Oldman does with the part

So pleased to have been brought up during the Second World War in a household that didn't like Churchill. (They didn't like Hitler, either, by the way.) ^_^

11 hours ago, BillF said:

So pleased to have been brought up during the Second World War in a household that didn't like Churchill. (They didn't like Hitler, either, by the way.) ^_^

His domestic policies were imperialistic,very reactionary and anti working class. His leadership was swiftly rejected, with barely a second thought, when the conflict ended.

What surprised me and what made the film's premise dubious was that in my quite extensive reading about the two wars, I've only come across passing mention of his fear that Overlord would end up like the Gallipolli campaign. Here it was the heart of the film and drawn out in a quite tortuous way, making him into a very unsympathetic, tantrum prone crybaby.

Sounds familiar.