• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/10/2017 at 0:00 PM, BillF said:

blade-runner-2049-poster.jpg

Cinematic tour de force. Strongly recommended.

Liked it a lot; my 40-year-old son, a steeped in Philip K. Dick person, hated it. He said that its plot was silly and lazy,  that film was devoid of good ideas and deeply misogynistic, in part because one of the nastier menacing villains (the character "Luv") is a woman. I asked him whether Shakespeare was misogynistic when he created Lady Macbeth. This was not appreciated. Never argue with your children unless you absolutely have to.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Liked it a lot; my 40-year-old son, a steeped in Philip K. Dick person, hated it. He said that its plot was silly and lazy,  that film was devoid of good ideas and deeply misogynistic, in part because one of the nastier menacing villains (the character "Luv") is a woman. I asked him whether Shakespeare was misogynistic when he created Lady Macbeth. This was not appreciated. Never argue with your children unless you absolutely have to.

My daughter also dismissed it as misogynistic - by reputation - as she hadn't seen it!

I found the convolutions of the plot difficult to follow, but this didn't detract from the wonderful atmosphere that the visuals and soundtrack created. I must see it again!

5 hours ago, BillF said:

My daughter also dismissed it as misogynistic - by reputation - as she hadn't seen it!

I found the convolutions of the plot difficult to follow, but this didn't detract from the wonderful atmosphere that the visuals and soundtrack created. I must see it again!

My son dismissed the plot as, among other things, a retread Star Wars -style "Who's your real father?" story. As a friend of mine, who liked the film a lot, explained, 'The point isn't who KD's father is, but whether he's a "manufactured" replicant or might be a "miracle" birth.'  

MV5BNGE3NGIwN2QtZTg0Ni00YWU4LTliNWUtZmVm

Michael Caine's character was a mere toddler when Berlin fell in 1945.  His father was a high ranking Nazi officer and he made a covenant with 2 other officers which is now coming to fruition some 40 years later.  The adult sons of those 3 men must come together to sign a document to unleash a fund of $4.5 billion to be used to make reparations for the Nazi atrocities.  However, there are also pro-Nazi forces at work who would love to get their hands on those funds and the story revolves around the question of who is really on which side and who can really be trusted.  I may just have been in the wrong mood for watching this.  It seemed like a good movie, but all the plot & character twists seemed more wearying than suspenseful to me after a while.

7 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Yep - good fun, Tessa was an excellent Valkyrie!!

Great, thanks. I'll see if I can get out to see it. I have to go off to most movies I want to see by myself, and I ultimately don't do it and wait til the disc is out for the most part. . ..

On 11/3/2017 at 5:16 PM, BillF said:

I finally got around to seeing this.  The room was relatively packed, so I am a bit surprised to hear the media narrative of this film is that no one is going to see it and that it will lose a ton of money (actually it has sort of broken even already if you don't count marketing, and I saw very little marketing, so I don't know what they spent). In a way, this almost seemed like a throwback to 80s era films with a fair bit of nudity, some in the service of the plot and some a bit more gratuitous.  It felt like a long film (and many people slipped out in what was essentially the third reel just to hit the rest room).  I just read that the original cut was 4 hours long!  So perhaps there will be a director's cut here as well.

(Minor spoilers)

I agree that it is ridiculous to say it is misogynistic just because the main villain is a female (even one who is gratuitously evil to another woman).  You can say that there are some tired tropes here.  The way that female replicants (androids) are disposed of without a second thought when they don't measure up (whereas the male replicants at least have a fighting chance literally).  There is a bit of a Handmaid's Tale vibe going on where women are sort of reduced to their reproductive status.  (And yet children were not actually valued at all, given the frankly unbelievable number of orphans.)

I will also agree that there are some ideas that work better than others, but the reveal about the Gosling character (K dash something) was actually pretty good.  Still, the internal SF "world building" rules don't seem to make any kind of sense.  Also I thought there were a few plot holes, particularly how LAPD of the future has apparently no meaningful internal security or even metal detectors in its building.  I thought K, the Ryan Gosling character, 1) might have realized he was easily trackable (this is a neo-noir after all) and 2) would likely have had to give up his cool flying car (maybe this is better explained in the 4 hour cut).  Also, why replicants need their own apartments (rather than living in a cubical at work for instance) and are paid actual money for their services is unclear (again see the odd "world building" rules).

But I did enjoy it.  I agree with Bill that the visuals worked well.  I'm glad I saw it on the big screen before it vanished.  This may be one of those films that has an audience that grows over time, just like the original film.

Edited by ejp626

On 11/5/2017 at 1:46 AM, ejp626 said:

I finally got around to seeing this.  The room was relatively packed, so I am a bit surprised to hear the media narrative of this film is that no one is going to see it and that it will lose a ton of money (actually it has sort of broken even already if you don't count marketing, and I saw very little marketing, so I don't know what they spent). In a way, this almost seemed like a throwback to 80s era films with a fair bit of nudity, some in the service of the plot and some a bit more gratuitous.  It felt like a long film (and many people slipped out in what was essentially the third reel just to hit the rest room).  I just read that the original cut was 4 hours long!  So perhaps there will be a director's cut here as well.

(Minor spoilers)

I agree that it is ridiculous to say it is misogynistic just because the main villain is a female (even one who is gratuitously evil to another woman).  You can say that there are some tired tropes here.  The way that female replicants (androids) are disposed of without a second thought when they don't measure up (whereas the male replicants at least have a fighting chance literally).  There is a bit of a Handmaid's Tale vibe going on where women are sort of reduced to their reproductive status.  (And yet children were not actually valued at all, given the frankly unbelievable number of orphans.)

I will also agree that there are some ideas that work better than others, but the reveal about the Gosling character (K dash something) was actually pretty good.  Still, the internal SF "world building" rules don't seem to make any kind of sense.  Also I thought there were a few plot holes, particularly how LAPD of the future has apparently no meaningful internal security or even metal detectors in its building.  I thought K, the Ryan Gosling character, 1) might have realized he was easily trackable (this is a neo-noir after all) and 2) would likely have had to give up his cool flying car (maybe this is better explained in the 4 hour cut).  Also, why replicants need their own apartments (rather than living in a cubical at work for instance) and are paid actual money for their services is unclear (again see the odd "world building" rules).

But I did enjoy it.  I agree with Bill that the visuals worked well.  I'm glad I saw it on the big screen before it vanished.  This may be one of those films that has an audience that grows over time, just like the original film.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/14/blade-runner-2049-killed-the-smart-sci-fi-blockbuster-denis-villeneuve

I watched "The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution" on Netflix t'other day, which was pretty interesting, almost all of it new to me.

The film showed some pictures of the scene where Fred Hampton was killed in his apartment; in one of them, you could make out a copy of Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" on the floor of the apartment. 

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

I watched "The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution" on Netflix t'other day, which was pretty interesting, almost all of it new to me.

The film showed some pictures of the scene where Fred Hampton was killed in his apartment; in one of them, you could make out a copy of Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" on the floor of the apartment. 

This might still be on Netflix. It really weakens as the years pass and the immediacy/proximity of the reporters diminishes, but the earlier footage is useful.