Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, kinuta said:

A Matter Of Life And Death - Powell Pressburger (1946)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81DHNffdPXL._SY445_.jpg

There is a new 4K restoration of AMOLAD that is currently starting to make the rounds in a limited theatrical rerelease in the UK (and hopefully, elsewhere, but so far only a New York run has been announced). Early reports are that it is absolutely spectacular, on par with the restorations of THE RED SHOES and THE TALES OF HOFFMANN that have been done in recent years. Lest anyone think this is another one of those instances where a studio simply strikes a new print, slaps a "restored" label on it, and sends it out to the repertory circuit, Post Magazine had a piece about this with some fairly technical details as to exactly what went into the restoration:

Restoration: A Matter of Life and Death

7 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

There is a new 4K restoration of AMOLAD that is currently starting to make the rounds in a limited theatrical rerelease in the UK (and hopefully, elsewhere, but so far only a New York run has been announced). Early reports are that it is absolutely spectacular, on par with the restorations of THE RED SHOES and THE TALES OF HOFFMANN that have been done in recent years. Lest anyone think this is another one of those instances where a studio simply strikes a new print, slaps a "restored" label on it, and sends it out to the repertory circuit, Post Magazine had a piece about this with some fairly technical details as to exactly what went into the restoration:

Restoration: A Matter of Life and Death

Right. An article about the restoration prompted me to rewatch the film.

I wonder if they are also thinking of doing The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, kinuta said:

Right. An article about the restoration prompted me to rewatch the film.

I wonder if they are also thinking of doing The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp.

Blimp was done back in 2011 - that restoration is available on Blu-ray via ITV in the UK and Criterion in the US:

COLONEL BLIMP - RETURNED IN ALL ITS GLORY

Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation has done almost all of the restorations of Powell & Pressburger films - AMOLAD was an exception because Sony holds the rights to that one (at least in the US - not sure about worldwide). Scorsese's longtime editor (and Powell's widow) Thelma Schoonmaker has previously indicated that they are slowly but surely working their way through the Archers' filmography.

2 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Blimp was done back in 2011 - that restoration is available on Blu-ray via ITV in the UK and Criterion in the US:

COLONEL BLIMP - RETURNED IN ALL ITS GLORY

Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation has done almost all of the restorations of Powell & Pressburger films - AMOLAD was an exception because Sony holds the rights to that one (at least in the US - not sure about worldwide). Scorsese's longtime editor (and Powell's widow) Thelma Schoonmaker has previously indicated that they are slowly but surely working their way through the Archers' filmography.

I already have that version. It looks fantastic.

I was wondering about a 4K remaster. Actually it's just curiosity more than anything.

The chances of it, or any other Powell Pressburger, being shown in Tokyo are almost nil.

Thank goodness for Blu Ray.

Starting Out In The Evening - Andrew Wagner (2007)

https://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/starting-out-in-the-evening-2007/large_uapX17LAXKQdKvUu5dQ9W4SiOY4.jpg

Roxie Hart - William A. Wellman (1942)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iqde5Op1Cy8/TRdY_9JJNQI/AAAAAAAAAkE/dzXbnzbwIEw/s1600/Roxie+Hart+%25281942%2529.png

5 hours ago, jlhoots said:

35 is old?? - +she's been in some pretty good movies.

Sure!  An actress who is 35 whom I've never heard of is old.  If she started acting at 22, she has been in the business for 13 years.  I'm not aware of any of her movies.  My views are not about her talent or her movies' quality - only that she turned 35 before I had heard of her.  Would you like to recommend a movie or two?

4 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Sure!  An actress who is 35 whom I've never heard of is old.  If she started acting at 22, she has been in the business for 13 years.  I'm not aware of any of her movies.  My views are not about her talent or her movies' quality - only that she turned 35 before I had heard of her.  Would you like to recommend a movie or two?

The East