Return Of The Film Corner Thread

Saw "Call Me by Your Name," and think it the best film I've seen yet this year (including "Three Billboards," which I liked a LOT). It's a beautiful movie, with a particularly wonderful speech late by Michael Stuhlbarg, one of my favorite actors. Highly recommended.

gregmo

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Martin McDonagh (2017)

https://resizing.flixster.com/zNmhroK7yUm9p80havaaBaSKOD4=/206x305/v1.bTsxMjM0NTY3NTtqOzE3NTU3OzEyMDA7NjM5Ozk0Ng

Coen style revenge fable heavily laced with black humour and featuring an intense Frances McDormand.

The reflective story within the plot looking at the existential choices facing the two cops was a clever touch.

I also saw Call Me By Your Name but was not especially taken, despite the critical praise and hoopla

Perhaps I'm missing something.

I thought ' I Am Love ' was a superior film.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

MV5BYjRjZmY1ZTktZThhMi00ZjcxLTliODAtYzU1

Fining out that Amazon Video/Prime has a lot of these type of PD/screwball/B-type movies for free. This one is better than I thought it would be. Of its time, definitely, but some good performances within the expectations.

Oh yeah, it almost went over my head, but the plot involves drunken accidental bigamy and attempts at annulment, and a lawyer is running through grounds for annulment of the first marriage and he says something like, "maybe he's a little colored, or insane, or..." and it's after it's passed for a second or two that I stop trying to think of what "colored" meant back then in terms of mental health...wow...I mean,I'm glad that I've evolved to where I didn't get it, like, immediately, but a little bit sad that I did get it at all. People who think that racism is not deeply ingrained into the American Way Of Life are either naive or else liars.

MV5BYzdiMzUyMDEtY2Y5ZS00OWUyLTk5MzctNWNj

Not necessarily a Great Movie, but for sure a great movie. Does anybody talk about the similarities to "spaghetti westerns" and kung-fu flicks? I'm not enough of a cinemaphile to have an informed opinion, but it felt like it a few times watching this.

No matter - Morricone!

Piano player - hit three notes!

MV5BYzdiMzUyMDEtY2Y5ZS00OWUyLTk5MzctNWNj

Not necessarily a Great Movie, but for sure a great movie. Does anybody talk about the similarities to "spaghetti westerns" and kung-fu flicks? I'm not enough of a cinemaphile to have an informed opinion, but it felt like it a few times watching this.

No matter - Morricone!

Piano player - hit three notes!

I've never found much of a connection between martial arts films and westerns, other than they both usually feature combat.

There's clearly one between westerns and Japanese jidaigeki/samurai films.

Deemed like the editing and extreme close facial shots had me ready for Bruce Lee to pop up at any second. Maybe it was just this move, and maybe just what I imagined.

I do realize that other than the Eastwood films, I've not explored the Spaghetti Wstern genre. Could be fun.

Deemed like the editing and extreme close facial shots had me ready for Bruce Lee to pop up at any second. Maybe it was just this move, and maybe just what I imagined.

I do realize that other than the Eastwood films, I've not explored the Spaghetti Wstern genre. Could be fun.

Spaghetti westerns were also a kind of reimagining of classic westerns, which themselves were American period theatre set with horses and saloons rather than streetcars and drawing rooms. The violence is an integral part of the yarn because the films are set in a brutal environment where guns were used to settle things. The idea is similar in Jidaigeki/samurai films. Just substitute swords for guns.

KungFu films whole reason d'etre is martial arts, that's the centre of the film, with the story , for what it's worth, used to set up tthe action bits..

I can recall the stories and plots of a lot of westerns but am hard pushed to do so with Kung Fu films.

I'm just thinking out loud but my views are something along these lines.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Love it! One of my all-time favourites! :tup

It's one of the rare films that seems to deepen with each viewing. 

I'd say it's Pacino's best performance. Sonny and Sal are such pathetic characters,  brilliantly played . Cazale is amazing and heartbreakingly sad.

Where? It's PD, and I found it streaming on a Roku channel. Nice enough print, and no commercials. But it's also here: https://archive.org/details/ThePay-Off

Why? Why not? Because it's there? Because I liked the sound of the description? Because I needed to kill a little over an hour before getting out of be this morning?

It's certainly dated and/or "of it's time"but still entertaining. Pre-Code, so there's some moral nuance in the script. Crime does not pay, but it still has its beneficiaries at film's end.  the main character is an anti-hero,the leader of a jewelry-heisting gang who doesn't believe in gunplay, much to the consternation of the crew he leads. He takes in a young couple and wants to keep them out of the racket, but his # 2 guy has other ideas. The gang leader is actually very sympathetic all the way through, a less suavecito Alexander Monday of sorts, and definitely on the wrong side of the law.

And the acting is...interesting, some of the actors were coming from silent movies, and their body/facial language shows that. And this Lowell Sherman guy was apparntly an popular figure in his time, acting and directing both.

Is it worth looking for? Hmmmm....probably not actively/aggressively, but if you stumble across it, and have about 70 minutes to spare, yeah, have a look.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Another great favourite! You must be a mind reader! Or perhaps it's just that era. You're now expected to come up with The Conversation. :D

Just serendipity. I was watching Last Flag Flying http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6018306/ and noted that there were more than coincidental resemblances to The Last Detail. Curious, I checked the credits and, lo and behold, the joint screenplay writer is also the writer of The Last Detail. This in turn cast my mind to the often revisited classics from the 1970's.

Next up is Taxi Driver but The Conversation is waiting in the wings.

I,Tonya - Craig Gillespie (2017)

http://www.reelviews.net/resources/img/posters/thumbs/i_tonya_poster.jpg

Really good, hard hitting drama tells the story of her rise and fall.

Explains her great strength and technical skill and the way her working class life was at odds with the image the skating authorities wanted to project to the public. She wasn't a princess.

Focuses on her family life and the crushing abuse she suffered from her insufferable mother and husband.

Strong performances all round. Recommended although I wish the music wasn't so in your face.