Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer - Yorgos Lanthimos (2017)

https://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/the-killing-of-a-sacred-deer-2017/large_MV5BNTNkZDUyZDEtZDljYS00YmJmLTljOGUtNjdkM2IyYmYwNTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA_._V1_SY1000_CR0_0_675_1000_AL_.jpg

Brilliant psychological horror film with outstanding direction,cinematography, music and acting.

This would have gone in my best of 2017 list if I'd seen it earlier.

Bought tickets for this coming weekend .... have big expectations based on "The Lobster" ....

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/01/2018 at 9:07 AM, jlhoots said:

Oy vey - I didn't "get" either of those films. "My bad" I suppose - but an acquired taste for sure.

I didn't care for The Lobster either but was impressed by the chilly, Kubrick like Sacred Deer.

Molly's Game - Aaron Sorkin (2017)

https://eilemagazine.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/mollys-game.jpeg

Typically rapid fire, dense dialogue based twisty tale is sparklingly entertaining with Jessica Chastain in top form.

The bits that expounded on the tactics of poker were barely comprehensible.

The Missus and I both thought it was a bit self indulgent with too much plot.  It felt like the first time director was eager to cram all his ideas in come what may,

Several times it appeared to have finished and then went on to a coda, then another, then another.

The two leads should be commended for learning all the lines. Hats off to their phenomenal memories.

Score: A Film Music Documentary - Matt Schrader (2017)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61EL87VXtuL._SY679_.jpg

Doesn't dig very deep, and commits the grave sin of omitting Nino Rota, but entertaining and enjoyable.

The Post - Stephen Spielberg (2017)

https://www.clovertheater.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/post.jpg

Solid, meat & potatoes take on the publishing of The Pentagon Papers,

Smooth and competent prequel to the superior All The President's Men.

Just as an aside, I wonder how many people under 40 have the bare minimum historical knowledge to make this meaningful.

Edited by kinuta

24 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Score: A Film Music Documentary - Matt Schrader (2017)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61EL87VXtuL._SY679_.jpg

Doesn't dig very deep, and commits the grave sin of omitting Nino Rota, but entertaining and enjoyable.

The Post - Stephen Spielberg (2017)

https://www.clovertheater.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/post.jpg

Solid, meat & potatoes take on the publishing of The Pentagon Papers,

Smooth and competent prequel to the superior All The President's Men.

Just as an aside, I wonder how many people under 40 have the bare minimum historical knowledge to make this meaningful.

Know what you mean. At my Spanish class on Thursday I gave an account of the film in Spanish. The teacher, a university-educated Spanish guy in his forties, astounded me by asking who had won the Vietnam War. :huh:

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Know what you mean. At my Spanish class on Thursday I gave an account of the film in Spanish. The teacher, a university-educated Spanish guy in his forties, astounded me by asking who had won the Vietnam War. :huh:

Indeed. Reminds me of my pal, Glyn, who was giving a class at Tokodai -Tokyo Institute Of Technology, the premier university in it's field.

For some reason the mention of Elvis was met with multiple blank stares. Sensing a communication problem, he asked for a show of hands for who knew or didn't know The King.

Almost nobody had. Or the time I asked some high schoolers to name three countries in Africa. The consensus was ' What do you mean? Africa is a country'.

Edited by kinuta

5 hours ago, kinuta said:

Indeed. Reminds me of my pal, Glyn, who was giving a class at Tokodai -Tokyo Institute Of Technology, the premier university in it's field.

For some reason the mention of Elvis was met with multiple blank stares. Sensing a communication problem, he asked for a show of hands for who knew or didn't know The King.

Well, it's all history now. My daughter did a module ten years ago as part of a History degree called "From Elvis to Nixon".

I guess it happens in every generation. In 1959, while he and I were keenly watching the transfer of power in Cuba from Batista to Castro, a student friend was dismayed to find that his student flatmate (now an Emeritus Professor of Physics) had never heard of the Spanish Civil War. :(

On 1/14/2018 at 3:44 PM, mjzee said:

We saw "Darkest Hour" last night; both enjoyed it.  Oldman is great, although he is constrained in his role by having to act with Churchill's mannerism and speech.  Perhaps all the actors recreating the famous in this film had to do this, but it's doubtful that the public remembers how, say, Neville Chamberlain or the Earl of Halifax looked and spoke, so those actors had more freedom and leeway.  And then, of course, there were the minor and fictional characters, as in the Underground scene that kinuta mentioned, but I think they were necessary to leaven the pace and add interest; without them, the movie would be a bunch of British politicians and the King pontificating at each other.  I liked the Underground scene as it added a dose of humanity, and helped to show the character of the British populace.  Also, for me, it had the ring of truth, as the British truly did show resolve and "a stiff upper lip" during this time of extreme crisis.  Ben Mendelsohn was very good as King George VI, as were Kristin Scott Thomas and the other actors (I couldn't resist mentioning "The English Patient" to my wife when Thomas was on camera).

We saw "The King's Speech" a few years before, and I loved how it helped me to understand the King's character in this film.  And I loved how the movie, and indeed the course of history, were shaped by the King looking out upon London and saying (something like) "I've become aware of a feeling of anger within me."  How British!

I just saw this and enjoyed it. +1 on "The King's Speech". Have some misgivings about the Underground scene, but it did work dramatically (if rather manipulatively).

But now I have to read up on Churchill's early career (early on in the film the King made negative comments about his many debacles including Gallipoli) and on the Dunkirk situation/evacuation (of which I have only rudimentary knowledge) in order to make a full appraisal. Out of curiosity, I also need to research why the Tories lost in 1945, ousting WC in favor of Attlee.

Edited by T.D.

Wonder Wheel - Woody Allen (2017)

http://www.cinemaesbarjo.cat/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/hd-1511353875_5474_11.jpg

Kate Winslet is the entirety of the film. She struggles with a dodgy script to give a thespian display that almost equals Kate Blanchet in Blue Jasmine.

That said, the film has a lot of quite awful aspects that make it uncomfortable viewing.

The Justin Timberlake beach guard whanabee Eugene O'Neill is ridiculous, and never delivers any sign of actually having written anything.

Kate's husband is an insufferable blowhard, copied from The Purple Rose Of Cairo.

Kate's dimwit sister arrives unexpectably (Blue Jasmine) , followed by two mob heavies (from The Sopranos-literally) who disappear after one scene.

Kate's kid is a psycho arsonist.

Devoid of humour or whimsy, none of this hodgepodge comes together in any meaningful way.

See it for Kate but forget the rest.

How The Beatles Changed The World - Tom O'Dell (2017)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODg4ODFkM2YtMzMwZC00MDU4LWEwNWQtNDRjN2ZlOTdmYjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc3ODUxNg@@._V1_.jpg

What the title says. Once in the early 60's and again in the late 60's.

I thought the Beatles well had been long since drained dry but this was an entertaining and fun watch. I liked it.

Edited by kinuta