Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/9/2018 at 8:14 AM, JSngry said:

another thing I like about the REALLY old B Movies is watching both actors and directors leave all kinds of vestiges of silent acting in there, It's not unlike listening to a jazz record where there's a "modern" element in place, but it's all interpreted "older".

And then there's the cast members who were active in silent films aging into support/character roles in soundies. That's a trip when you look up some name that you saw in a side role in, like, 1935 and find out that 20 years earlier, this cat was a PLAYER.

i just threw out all my garbo vhs's 1932 and beyond.  1931 is totally the cutoff for her great films.  the others were either too overdone or not good.  like with rock band Queen, the 1st two were the best

no one is discussing silent films online, but do you know what, the "silent movie classics" dub of Torrent is a black & white print whereas the MGM dvd-r release is a tinted print in four different tones, i have no idea why.  i need a original copy of the silent movie classic tape, the copy i made isnt very good

you guys should check out this alien footage, its really amazing to have the seeing a real alien experience.  their heads are bigger cause they can do way more stuff than humans.  watch this closely, this is 100% real. my personal theory right now though, is that earth,  happens to be the funnest planet.  the place where the bro in this footage is from i think, planet serpo, they have only like a chanting type music kind of, they dont have The Who, or Eminent JJ Johnson volume 2 or anything that good.  And we certainly have better food than its planet. the US govt let a group of americans go there in the 70s.  this is not a joke, this is serious that you realise these things have really happened.  

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

no one is discussing silent films online, but do you know what, the "silent movie classics" dub of Torrent is a black & white print whereas the MGM dvd-r release is a tinted print in four different tones, i have no idea why.  i need a original copy of the silent movie classic tape, the copy i made isnt very good

I believe that tinting was sometimes done on original releases, as sort of a "precursor" to color, is that correct? Not exactly a technical precursor, but an artistic choice to create mood?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I believe that tinting was sometimes done on original releases, as sort of a "precursor" to color, is that correct? Not exactly a technical precursor, but an artistic choice to create mood?

Yes.  The tinted print is probably closer to the original release. (E.g. night scenes were often tinted blue.)

On 9/16/2018 at 4:47 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i just threw out all my garbo vhs's 1932 and beyond.  1931 is totally the cutoff for her great films.  the others were either too overdone or not good.  like with rock band Queen, the 1st two were the best

insert "spit take" here!  So, I'm curious -- does Ninotchka fall into the "too overdone" or the "not good" category in your opinion?  IMHO it's a film classic.  But then, I'm a big Billy Wilder (he was one of the co-writers on that film) fan, which brings me to my most recent viewing --

360x480_214343.jpg

I'd never seen this one before.  It's a good movie, but one I'm sure would not be to every one's taste.  It is an amazingly fast paced comedy (I felt kind of tired from trying to keep up with everything by the end of the film) and doing that successfully would have been a feat in itself.  But this film about the East -West Cold War was shot in Berlin and while they were filming, the Berlin Wall was unexpectedly erected, causing rewrites and various other production problems (they even had to rebuild the Brandenburg Gate in Munich!!!).  James Cagney is great delivering the rapid-fire dialog, and he is able to make an audience sympathetic to the plight of his rather unlikable character.  Unfortunately, his experience making this film caused him to decide to retire from films (until his brief but welcome appearance in Ragtime two decades later).

The film makes lots of sly, witty references to other films including Ninotchka, Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Gone With The Wind and Yankee Doodle Dandy. 

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dude, if you haven't already, you may well want to see this one if/when possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)

I caught it on its 1980 tour in a theater, and it was pretty much a mindfuck.

My parents saw that as well!  My dad just gave me a framed promotional poster for it.

I've never been a silent movie "buff", but that was an "event". Seeing it on a "big screen" and reading the advance hype/history really opened my eyes (no pun intended) to the expressive potential of the whole thing. Still can't say I'm totally into it, but I don't go out of my way to avoid them, no way. Caught a bunch of Hitchcock silents on a Roku PD channel not too long ago, and...yeah. It works.

5 hours ago, duaneiac said:

insert "spit take" here!  So, I'm curious -- does Ninotchka fall into the "too overdone" or the "not good" category in your opinion?  IMHO it's a film classic.  But then, I'm a big Billy Wilder (he was one of the co-writers on that film) fan, which brings me to my most recent viewing --

360x480_214343.jpg

I'd never seen this one before.  It's a good movie, but one I'm sure would not be to every one's taste.  It is an amazingly fast paced comedy (I felt kind of tired from trying to keep up with everything by the end of the film) and doing that successfully would have been a feat in itself.  But this film about the East -West Cold War was shot in Berlin and while they were filming, the Berlin Wall was unexpectedly erected, causing rewrites and various other production problems (they even had to rebuild the Brandenburg Gate in Munich!!!).  James Cagney is great delivering the rapid-fire dialog, and he is able to make an audience sympathetic to the plight of his rather unlikable character.  Unfortunately, his experience making this film caused him to decide to retire from films (until his brief but welcome appearance in Ragtime two decades later).

The film makes lots of sly, witty references to other films including Ninotchka, Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Gone With The Wind and Yankee Doodle Dandy. 

its ok, but way late period-- its like comparing "open sesasme" to "red clay"

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Dude, if you haven't already, you may well want to see this one if/when possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_(1927_film)

I caught it on its 1980 tour in a theater, and it was pretty much a mindfuck.

I've been told (by a fairly reliable source) that there's no print in circulation right now.  I think Francis Coppola may own US rights. 

On 9/20/2018 at 4:52 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

no one is discussing silent films online

The folks at NitrateVille would disagree. Some of them have been discussing silent films online since the heyday of the Usenet group alt.movies.silent some 25 years ago. 

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

I've been told (by a fairly reliable source) that there's no print in circulation right now.  I think Francis Coppola may own US rights. 

For years, Coppola refused to allow any screenings that did not use the score written by his father Carmine. This has been problematic as the score was written for Coppola's four-hour 1980 version of the film, and Kevin Brownlow's current version of the film is five and a half hours long. Coppola has even threatened legal action over screenings of the longer version outside of the US, but in recent years the various parties appear to have finally reached a detente of sorts as he has allowed Brownlow's longer version to be screened in the US with Carl Davis' score. The BFI's recent Blu-ray of this version is very nice but is Region B locked. 

There's a pretty good summary at Wikipedia of the various versions of the film that have been out there since its debut, as well as some of the history related to the Coppola legal disputes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoléon_(1927_film)