Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I like old movies too - BUT somebody should go to some new films!!

OK: Can You Ever Forgive Me, The Green Book, Bad Times at the El Royal, The Front Runner, The Hate U Give,  They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, The Happy Prince, First Man, A Star is Born, Overlord, Susperia  and RGB.  Tomorrow I hope to see Cold War and the new Coen Brothers movie.    

Edited by medjuck

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

OK: Can You Ever Forgive Me, The Green Book, Bad Times at the El Royal, The Front Runner, The Hate U Give,  They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, The Happy Prince, First Man, A Star is Born, Overlord, Susperia  and RGB.  Tomorrow I hope to see Cold War and the new Coen Brothers movie.    

There you go!! :tophat:

On 11/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, jlhoots said:

I like old movies too - BUT somebody should go to some new films!!

I don’t have money for that. Plus I don’t like being in a room with strangers where you can’t talk back to the screen. That’s too much like work, and when I go to work, they pay me. And most of all, there is no pause button in the theatre. When I need a toilet and/or a snack, I need a pause button to go with it.

My wife watches enough new movies for both of us. From what she tells me, they’re a bunch of stories with acting and stuff like that. I get enough of that at work, and again, they pay me.

More important, the old movies I watch are so old, and often so cheaply made, that they’re like dispatches from another planet. Again, I can get that at work, but these are free, plus with the distinct advantage of being able to fart or burp or, especially,scratch my balls (you older gentlemen will understand) without shame or fear of police action.

I went and saw Creed II yesterday.  I will say that I am a die hard Rocky fan, watched all the movies about a million times, and though for many people Rocky IV is a huge weak spot (and it is but so fun and that Vince DiCola score is great) the expanding on the events of IV and the return of Ivan Drago trying to get redemption through his son Viktor fighting Adonis was pretty cool.  The chemistry between Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson was great, Sylvester Stallone was nearly as good reprising Rocky as he was in Creed and in Rocky Balboa making up for the unsatisfying closure in Rocky V.  The story is more bout fathers and sons and the sons realizing they gotta do their own thing, and there are surprises along the way, but the fact Drago has depth compared to the 1 dimensional portrayal in Rocky IV is probably the biggest one.  It's not as good as the first Creed but I liked it a lot and if they ended the Rocky universe in this way it'd be ok with me, if they go farther it could sort of become really bad.  I am going to watch Rocky V now though, lol.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Ralph Breaks the Internet looks fun, I enjoyed the first movie with all the Street Fighter cameos, that was great.  But yeah Creed II, it seems like the critics are being a bit overly harsh, not sure what they expected.  Who knows maybe I'd feel different on second viewing on a blu ray, but I don't think so.  It's pretty clear Ryan Coogler and Steven Caple Jr (who directed this one) really love the characters and try to drive forward development narratives, if it goes forward--Rocky should pass on, which would be a throwback to Rocky III when Mickey died.  That would suck, but it has to happen.    Maybe start pushing Adonis towards a more Deontay Wilder or Adrien Broner type persona (not sure how many here keep up with the current boxing scene, but Wilder holds one of the heavyweight belts) something that reflects how boxers are portrayed in the media now, and certainly something relevant to black men in society now, but if they can't do that, no sense of turning Creed into parody.  As ridiculous as Rocky III, IV got int terms of story, because of that I can look at them in a fun way, but if they like had the son of Clubber Lang or Tommy Gunn wanna go after Adonis that would be incredibly corny fan service.  The way they did the fan service by having Drago come back was really cool though

4 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Ralph Breaks the Internet looks fun, I enjoyed the first movie with all the Street Fighter cameos, that was great.  But yeah Creed II, it seems like the critics are being a bit overly harsh, not sure what they expected.  Who knows maybe I'd feel different on second viewing on a blu ray, but I don't think so.  It's pretty clear Ryan Coogler and Steven Caple Jr (who directed this one) really love the characters and try to drive forward development narratives, if it goes forward--Rocky should pass on, which would be a throwback to Rocky III when Mickey died.  That would suck, but it has to happen.    Maybe start pushing Adonis towards a more Deontay Wilder or Adrien Broner type persona (not sure how many here keep up with the current boxing scene, but Wilder holds one of the heavyweight belts) something that reflects how boxers are portrayed in the media now, and certainly something relevant to black men in society now, but if they can't do that, no sense of turning Creed into parody.  As ridiculous as Rocky III, IV got int terms of story, because of that I can look at them in a fun way, but if they like had the son of Clubber Lang or Tommy Gunn wanna go after Adonis that would be incredibly corny fan service.  The way they did the fan service by having Drago come back was really cool though

83% + on Rotten Tomatoes for Creed II - that's not bad.

9 hours ago, jlhoots said:

83% + on Rotten Tomatoes for Creed II - that's not bad.

Yeah, and actually Youtube reviews are positive as well, when I googled reviews for the film they seemed a bit lukewarm.  Even Rocky V has a fair following of people who liked it (I do, but still feel it's the worst of the series), and after re watching the other night it isn't that bad, but Rocky Balboa capped it off much better.  The nostalgia level wasn't drawn as high as Cobra Kai, also being a Karate Kid fan that was great.  It was slightly dissapointing that Creed II did not use any Rocky IV music cues, like how the original drew on Bill Conti's score, but because this offered a more fully fleshed out look at the Drago character, more humanized  the kind of coldness of IV's score wouldn't have worked as well.  The new Russian folk melody kind of fit...  brought to mind Tchaikovsky and Rimsky Korsakov to me.