Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Bogart was fine. The rest including the "plot" just didn't resonate with us.

I suppose it's all about style, not plot.

I have to say that I find the reaction surprising as the movie — both style and plot — is a classic. 

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

I have to say that I find the reaction surprising as the movie — both style and plot — is a classic. 

That's what everybody says. 2 of the things that bothered me were that I didn't get who had killed Thursby & the Macguffin turned out to be a "worthless lead fake" & only a plot device. Obviously none of that detracts from the film's importance for most viewers & critics.

And believe it or not, I like film noir!! :ph34r::shrug[1]:

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

If Beale Street Could Talk

Liked the movie but it begins with a title card saying something to the effect that Beale Street is in New Orleans and that Louis Armstrong and jazz were born there. None of this is true.  Is that in the book? Is it meant to be  metaphorical?  

1*akgdz67GVbcW2n2UKrnzfA@2x.jpeg

Not sure if this qualifies as a "movie", but I enjoyed it.  It does drag a bit in places and could have used a little script tightening up (or some more interesting material for him to discuss), but it is a very moving performance.  Never thought I would say this about a Bruce Springsteen show, but you will want to keep a box of Kleenex handy.  If you don't want to watch it, the long story short is, even rock stars can have daddy issues.  There, now you are free to use that 2 hours you could have spent watching this on something else.

MV5BMzk1YmZlMWYtM2Y5YS00MmExLTk5ZjAtNmQ1

Never mind the movie, the vintage circus footage is worth it. Actually, the direction (Karl Brown) is pretty nice in spots. And for some reason, Anne Nagel appeals to me in some explainable way.

But really, it's worth it just to watch a monkey try to play with matches, only to have a little girl help him out and burn down the whole circus.

Vice - Adan McKay (2018)

Related image

I almost felt sorry for Christian Bale. He thought he was in a serious film then the director pulled out the rug from under him.

Despite his finest efforts, the film is a discombobulated, badly misjudged mess.

The quirkiness that worked so well in The Big Short is quite disastrous here.

Admittedly, I haven’t seen the movie  but from the reviews I didn’t get that impression. I didn’t find The Big Short quirky but scaringly true to life but maybe that’s because of my exposure to people like some of the ones depicted in the movie. 

I've been seeing the ads for Vice, and truthfully, they've been tempting me to get out of the house and into a theatre for the first time since...I can't remember when. The Cheney/Bush dynamic was nothing if not a deeply dark joke on humanity and it looks like that's how it's played here.