• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/7/2019 at 2:00 PM, kinuta said:

Vice - Adan McKay (2018)

Related image

I almost felt sorry for Christian Bale. He thought he was in a serious film then the director pulled out the rug from under him.

Despite his finest efforts, the film is a discombobulated, badly misjudged mess.

The quirkiness that worked so well in The Big Short is quite disastrous here.

Yeah, I agree that the "Big Short" stuff mostly failed here, though I actually kind of liked the Shakespeare moment and the "credits" scene. I think it's because the film tried to do two things at once--be a standard biopic AND sort of a hit-piece on Cheney during the Bush Admin. If it had aimed only for the second, it might have been a bit more effective. but that's just IMHO. Bale was amazing, though.

gregmo

MV5BZDY4ZTAxZTktMjZjMS00N2I0LTk3MWEtZWJj

Viewed now, the premise seems quite surreal, and it is worth watching just for that. It plays out as it begins, one continuos flow of WTF?!?!?!?

MV5BMjdiOTc2MDMtNjRmOS00ZmQ5LWE4NGYtNzhi

aka

MV5BYjQ3YzY5YjktZjI5NS00ZWM5LTg0NGItYTIx

What Prime Video has is a 61 minute version that focuses entirely on Garbo. It's more than good enough, but reading about the film, only whets the appetite for a full(er?) edition that restores two(!!!) non-Garbo storylines that were apparently somewhat sordid, and resulted in a lot of controversy/banning/etc.

No matter, Garbo here was 19-20, and quite the striking beauty, with a real sense of communicating through body language and, especially, eye acting. Sound certainly did not hurt her (LOL) but if that had not happened, she still could have been a star.

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, neither of which I had seen in its entirety until this past week. And Friday night my girlfriend and I went to see The Exterminating Angel at the IU Cinema—a place that will absolutely spoil you if you’re a film-lover. (Coming in February: Space Is The Place!)

36 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Just about to jump into "Medium Cool" after all these years.

As an aside, Verna Bloom, who passed away recently and is probably best know for her role as Marion Wormer in Animal House (though she appeared in many other films) got her first film role in Medium Cool.

Verna Bloom obituary: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/obituaries/verna-bloom-dead.html

2 minutes ago, paul secor said:

As an aside, Verna Bloom, who passed away recently and is probably best know for her role as Marion Wormer in Animal House (though she appeared in many other films) got her first film role in Medium Cool.

Verna Bloom obituary: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/obituaries/verna-bloom-dead.html

Her obit is what alerted me. I was living in Chicago at the time, might be a crowd member is the film and more. Richard Abrams and John Jackson (AACM founding members) are bit players in the film. This is proving to be a trip down memory lane. The "Chicago Riots" caused a reconciliation with my father at the time. More details in my bio flic.

81k-Rv5ShnL._RI_SX300_.jpg

sherlock-holmes-and-the-deadly-necklace-

A weird film, shot in Germany, all of the voices were overdubbed posty-production, so you miss Lee's tones. BUT - he does a very good job with the role physically, so good that his voice is not really missed once it gets going. Not the best Holmes film ever, but not the worst either. It's a good tale well-enough (for me) told. And it's always a treat (of sorts) to see Leon Askin.