Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Translated as "He's Back." It's a strange movie, funny in parts, but also basically unsettling, which I think is the whole point.  It's on Netflix for those interested in seeing it. 

Hitler.jpg

Translated as "He's Back." It's a strange movie, funny in parts, but also basically unsettling, which I think is the whole point.  It's on Netflix for those interested in seeing it. 

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Matthew said:

A Matter Of Life And Death. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger made strange but wonderful movies...

maxresdefault.jpg

LOVE that movie. Was fortunate enough to see it in the age of innocence, before I knew that movies were "art." It plucked my little heartstrings and still does every time.

48 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

LOVE that movie. Was fortunate enough to see it in the age of innocence, before I knew that movies were "art." It plucked my little heartstrings and still does every time.

I just watched it too. I don't think I'd ever seen all of it before.  It is indeed wonderful. 

13 hours ago, medjuck said:

I just watched it too. I don't think I'd ever seen all of it before.  It is indeed wonderful. 

14 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

It really is a great movie. I discovered Powell & Pressburge movies about a year ago, and I've really fallen in love with them. There is a powerful humanism that runs through their films that I find attractive and enriching.

Edited by Matthew
spelling

On 4/23/2019 at 5:12 PM, Larry Kart said:

Don't miss Powell and Pressburger's magical "I Know Where I'm Going" (1945), with Wendy Hiller.

I've seen IKWIG many times, but was still immediately transfixed when I happened to stumble upon it a week or two ago just when it was starting on TCM. Despite it being well past midnight, I wound up glued to my seat watching it until some time past the halfway point, when the need to get more than five hours of sleep before the workday came calling in the morning finally outweighed the need to see the film through to the end. I still remember the first time my wife saw it more then twenty years ago during a Powell & Pressburger retrospective - she was completely captivated by it, and maintained that it was the most romantic film she'd ever seen. 

I have a special fondness for The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, but given how many great films Powell & Pressburger made, it can be a difficult task to argue that one is more essential than another.