• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, jlhoots said:

Don't like the Swintons I guess!!

I like the Swintons just fine, but I found the movie aimless and without any coherence. [Spoilers ahead!] Why on earth was she attracted to this guy? And what did the film she was supposed to be making have to do with the relationship? The classroom scenes and scenes with classmates didn't seem to fit with anything else, and the mother's monologue at the end in the film within a film mystified me. None of the film within a film seemed autobiographical to the relationship between her and her mother, of which we got very little (I thought the great Tilda Swinton was entirely wasted here.) And now someone is talking about a sequel?? To what?! I'd love to see these two women (the Swintons) in a good movie in which they really interact with each other!

gregmo

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I like the Swintons just fine, but I found the movie aimless and without any coherence. [Spoilers ahead!] Why on earth was she attracted to this guy? And what did the film she was supposed to be making have to do with the relationship? The classroom scenes and scenes with classmates didn't seem to fit with anything else, and the mother's monologue at the end in the film within a film mystified me. None of the film within a film seemed autobiographical to the relationship between her and her mother, of which we got very little (I thought the great Tilda Swinton was entirely wasted here.) And now someone is talking about a sequel?? To what?! I'd love to see these two women (the Swintons) in a good movie in which they really interact with each other!

gregmo

Interesting perspective. Seems to be a film that critics like & audiences hate.:ph34r::alien:

The Tale - Jennifer Fox (2018)

Image result for the tale

Great cast and an extraordinary but disturbing story that constantly switches between past and present.

Laura Dern is especially praiseworthy.

*** This is a pretty explicit and unvarnished look at child abuse and should be avoided if the subject is a no go area for you.

Red Joan - Trevor Nunn (2018)

Image result for red joan

Judi Dench is detained by special branch and questioned about her role in leaking nuclear secrets to The Soviet Union during the war.

The bulk of the film is told in flashback with , obviously, a different actor as the young Dame Judi.

And that's where everything goes wrong, big time. Weak and underpowered, it never gains any momentum and is , sin of sins, boring.

Dame Judi is great but the rest of the film is pretty woeful.

Edited by kinuta