Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, medjuck said:

No.  But I do know Any Davis who directed the film of The Fugitive.  I'm seeing him Saturday and I'll ask him if he  did. 

Great!  I have the eBook of The Double Take, which was the basis for 77 Sunset Strip.  One day I'll get around to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Take-Roy-Huggins/dp/1627553681/

On 7/6/2019 at 9:24 PM, GA Russell said:

Great!  I have the eBook of The Double Take, which was the basis for 77 Sunset Strip.  One day I'll get around to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Take-Roy-Huggins/dp/1627553681/

Wow I didn't realize what a long prolific career he had.   Andy Davis said he'd met with him before shooting the film and he was very gracious.  After the film came out he wrote a very nice congratulatory letter to Andy.  

18 hours ago, medjuck said:

Wow I didn't realize what a long prolific career he had.   Andy Davis said he'd met with him before shooting the film and he was very gracious.  After the film came out he wrote a very nice congratulatory letter to Andy.  

My first thought of Huggins is always as the creator of Maverick.  I once saw him say that he had a love-hate relationship with James Garner.  "I love him, and he hates me!"

Thanks for asking your friend about him!

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

For me, Bette Davis is an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it yet! Too mannered in my opinion, very off-putting. Of course, YMMV

Well, here she's an old-ish widowed librarian in a small town who gets Red-Baited out of her gig and then quietly suffers the resultant indignity. And then this kid who used to love her burns down the town library because all those books she encouraged him to read drove him nuts, that and his asshole dad who is adamant that books are the tools of Commies.

Not exactly a typical Bette Davis role and/or film, but not a particularly good one either. Not sure if there's a correlation there or not.

Rocketman - Dexter Fletcher (2019)

Image result for rocketman

Messy kaleidoscope of high energy song and dance clips loosely connected by events from his life.

Felt a bit Ken Russell like on occasion. Admired some of the film making but can't honestly say it was satisfactory.

McCabe & Mrs Miller - Robert Altman (1971)

Related image

Edited by kinuta

52 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Rocketman - Dexter Fletcher (2019)

Image result for rocketman

Messy kaleidoscope of high energy song and dance clips loosely connected by events from his life.

Felt a bit Ken Russell like on occasion. Admired some of the film making but can't honestly say it was satisfactory.

McCabe & Mrs Miller - Robert Altman (1971)

Related image

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is an all time favorite. Leonard Cohen songs fit well.

I was also underwhelmed by Rocketman.

Interesting reaction to "Rocketman." I thought it was better than "Bohemian Rhapsody." I liked how they took the music out of its original chronological order and used the themes to tell the story, and I thought Egerton did a fine job singing. But, to each his own!!

gregmo

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

I thought I was the only that liked it! Never hear it mentioned anymore.

I saw it when it first came out. I used to be a Formula i racing fan at the time. I then saw it a few years ago when TCM was running their Days of Oscar and thought it was still great. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I used to be a Formula i racing fan at the time.

I used to be one too in my teens, in the seventies. First reaction when I saw this I thought it was that movie about that fateful season with the Lauda accident and the great Lauda Hunt rivalry, 1975 or 76 IIRC. And that movie I've seen, in TV some years ago.

I saw it at a preview screening at the  Cinerama Theater in Toronto.  It was shot in 70mm anamorphic which gave it almost the same aspect ratio as Cinerama and I think they did something optically to compensate for the curved screen. The main thing I remember about it is James Garner and a lot of split screen and multiple images.  

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I saw it at a preview screening at the  Cinerama Theater in Toronto.  It was shot in 70mm anamorphic which gave it almost the same aspect ratio as Cinerama and I think they did something optically to compensate for the curved screen. The main thing I remember about it is James Garner and a lot of split screen and multiple images.  

The split-screen and multi images thing started for me at Expo 67 at the Ontario Pavilion, with Christopher Chapman's "A Place To Stand".  It's still impressive film making, I think.

...and a note about the music.  It's by Dolores Claman, a deft composer of commercial jingles and film music, including the unofficial anthem Hockey Night In Canada.  The orchestrations were by my friend Jerry Toth, a great musician and member of the Boss Brass, where he recorded this superb performance:  Autumn In New York, arranged for Jerry by Rob McConnell.  

Edited by Ted O'Reilly
addition