Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

strangewoman.jpg

Here's what I love about movies in the 1940's.  They could take Hedy Lamarr and George Sanders and cast them as characters in a story set in 1850's Maine and no one would question the fact that they both have these odd, definitely non-Maine accents.  Hedy Lamar is cast as a poor but bad girl (named "Hager", not even "Lindquist" or something which might have explained the accent) who grows up to be a woman who uses her feminine wiles to move up in the world by getting men (including a father & son duo) to do her bidding and, frequently, marry her.  George Sanders is cast as a lumberjack.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Maybe this film was steamy stuff in its day, but it's pretty tepid tea today.

3 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

strangewoman.jpg

Here's what I love about movies in the 1940's.  They could take Hedy Lamarr and George Sanders and cast them as characters in a story set in 1850's Maine and no one would question the fact that they both have these odd, definitely non-Maine accents.  Hedy Lamar is cast as a poor but bad girl (named "Hager", not even "Lindquist" or something which might have explained the accent) who grows up to be a woman who uses her feminine wiles to move up in the world by getting men (including a father & son duo) to do her bidding and, frequently, marry her.  George Sanders is cast as a lumberjack.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Maybe this film was steamy stuff in its day, but it's pretty tepid tea today.

Yeah, that's a good movie to just look at and say ever-changing "wow"a about damn near every second.

son_of_dracula_xlg.jpg

First time seeing this (it's on Youtube) and I'm happy to report it's not as bad as I expected.  It's not good, but I've sat through worse movies.  Of course, I'm willing to forget a lot of cinematic faults for just the few minutes here of Harry Nilsson singing the gorgeous "Remember".  Why hasn't this bit of Beatles ephemera been given the full Criterion Collection treatment?

On 2019-09-24 at 3:21 PM, duaneiac said:

...with Vincent Price's character running around turn-of-the-century San Francisco engaging in various chases/fights/escapes in the midst of a Tong war as he tries to break up a kidnapping/yellow slavery ring and free several nubile, young, imprisoned Asian women.  Sorry, it doesn't make any better sense than that.  The story is confusing, the pacing is bad, yet somehow Vincent Price manages to retain his dignity and soldiers through it all like the professional he was.  It's rather fitting that the movie literally ends up in the sewer

Spoiler alert:  No opium is actually eaten in this film.

This does sound pretty horrible.  I'm not quite sure where they got the chutzpah to claim this was based off of de Quincy's book, more like coincidentally they both discuss opium addiction, though de Quincy tries to deglamourize addiction (and while my memory is foggy, I think he claims there are positive uses of opium when used in moderation, though enabling one to kidnap young women didn't make the list for some reason).

Two old movies on TCM:  Valiant and Safe in Hell.  The former only interesting because it's Paul Muni's first movie and is an early talked from 1929-- which means it's really static.  Safe in Hell is something else again.  A pre-code William Wellman film, I recommend it highly. 

Edited by medjuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 2:34 PM, medjuck said:

Two old movies on TCM:  Valiant and Safe in Hell.  The former only interesting because it's Paul Muni's first movie and is an early talked from 1929-- which means it's really static.  Safe in Hell is something else again.  A pre-code William Wellman film, I recommend it highly. 

Yes, Safe in Hell is something else indeed! ( Dorothy Mackaill sadly only shows up for a second dressed like this) Struck me odd how there was no credits at the beginning of the film. Never have read why this was the case, as I can't think of another film that did that from the 1930s (or 40s, 50s, etc) Did ya know Dorothy Mackaill  was British? I sure never did. Gave up movies in 1937, but....naturally, her last 2 acting roles were on the original Hawaii 5-0! I about choked when I looked up an old lady that called the police in a 1976 episode and saw her name! She died in Hawaii, no better place to die.MV5BMTczMDY5NjAyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM4

Edited by BERIGAN

4 hours ago, Marzz said:

How is this kinuta? I wasn't even aware that there was a movie made. The novel it's based on is superb!

I haven't read the book so can't make a comparison , but the film was excellent in all departments, especially Gillian Anderson.

I watched it  after rewatching The Age Of Innocence and then reading the book.

The film was very faithful to the book.

Terence Davies is a superb director and I imagine he would

have gone the extra mile in keeping faith with the novel.