Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/31/2019 at 8:23 PM, kinuta said:

I haven't read the book so can't make a comparison , but the film was excellent in all departments, especially Gillian Anderson.

I watched it  after rewatching The Age Of Innocence and then reading the book.

The film was very faithful to the book.

Terence Davies is a superb director and I imagine he would

have gone the extra mile in keeping faith with the novel.

Thanks kinuta, much appreciated :tup I just ordered a copy.

Glad you mentioned Gillian Anderson. Otherwise wouldn't have imagined her as Lily Bart. But then, a while back I watched a BBC adaptation of Dickens' Bleak House and Anderson was great in that, so I'm not surprised she's excellent in House of Mirth. I have to confess that I've never watched the x-files, fwiw.

Definitely agree about The Age of Innocence movie and I had read the book before watching it. The novel has many subtleties that I assumed would be discarded/overlooked for the screen but I was very surprised with how good the movie was/is. First saw it when it was released back in '93/94. Big favourite of mine (as is the novel) and I dislike most movie adaptations of 'classic' novels!

Look forward to watching House of Mirth, thanks again for the comments.

viewing tonight - speaking of book adaptations, I'll be watching The Leopard (1963). I've read Lampedusa's novel (Il Gattopardo) but only once and it was a long time ago so it's on my 'to re-read' list. Anyway never seen the movie, but I've heard good things about it. We'll see.

Visconti-The-Leopard.jpg

Edited by Marzz

5 hours ago, Marzz said:

Thanks kinuta, much appreciated :tup I just ordered a copy.

Glad you mentioned Gillian Anderson. Otherwise wouldn't have imagined her as Lily Bart. But then, a while back I watched a BBC adaptation of Dickens' Bleak House and Anderson was great in that, so I'm not surprised she's excellent in House of Mirth. I have to confess that I've never watched the x-files, fwiw.

Definitely agree about The Age of Innocence movie and I had read the book before watching it. The novel has many subtleties that I assumed would be discarded/overlooked for the screen but I was very surprised with how good the movie was/is. First saw it when it was released back in '93/94. Big favourite of mine (as is the novel) and I dislike most movie adaptations of 'classic' novels!

Look forward to watching House of Mirth, thanks again for the comments.

viewing tonight - speaking of book adaptations, I'll be watching The Leopard (1963). I've read Lampedusa's novel (Il Gattopardo) but only once and it was a long time ago so it's on my 'to re-read' list. Anyway never seen the movie, but I've heard good things about it. We'll see.

Visconti-The-Leopard.jpg

The Leopard is a good'un. I've seen it several times.

Gillian Anderson also played Miss Havisham in the 2011 BBC Great Expectations, and she's in the new series of The Crown as Thatcher no less.

That should be interesting.

Edited by kinuta

IMHO, "Chinatown" is the best film of the last half century and a classic in the so-called Neo-noir genre.  Not to mention, Jack Nicholson's finest work.  Perfect scoring from Jerry Goldsmith featuring the haunting trumpet of Uan Rasey.  What's not to like?

Edited by Dave James

Sorcerer - William Friedkin (1977)

Image result for sorcerer blu ray"

Comparisons to the original are almost irrelevant.

This is a superbly made thriller of the highest order and Friedkin's third masterpiece.

I saw it at the cinema in '77 and raved about it to all and sundry.

If you feel jaded with the state of modern cinema, watch this Blu Ray and rejoice.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019)

Image result for once upon a time in hollywood

I liked it but thought it was self indulgent, with an episodic recreation of a nostalgically imagined past given priority over any kind of real story telling.

Too much fragmented detail crammed in just for the sake of it. Top marks for conjuring up an immersive visual treat, low marks for any real substance, although I liked the DiCaprio-Pitt double act.

19 hours ago, kinuta said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino (2019)

Image result for once upon a time in hollywood

I liked it but thought it was self indulgent, with an episodic recreation of a nostalgically imagined past given priority over any kind of real story telling.

Too much fragmented detail crammed in just for the sake of it. Top marks for conjuring up an immersive visual treat, low marks for any real substance, although I liked the DiCaprio-Pitt double act.

This one grew on me. Right afterwards, I felt as you did, but as I thought about it, I really admired DiCaprio's work in it. It's one thing to play a "fading" actor--lots of people have done it--but to play that fading actor playing in a film within a film is much tougher. I thought it was some of his best work. And Pitt was fun!

gregmo