Return Of The Film Corner Thread

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Haven't seen many movies in a long time, but I just saw Almodovar's Pain and Glory at the newly refurbished Paradise Theatre in Toronto.  It has some very strong moments.  Banderas really inhabits his role well (esp. the scene when he reconnects with an old lover), though the most memorable scenes of the film are the childhood flashbacks.  This review generally seems on target - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/25/pain-and-glory-review-pedro-almodovar-antonio-banderas-penelope-cruz

Will probably see Rise of Skywalker over the weekend and then perhaps a showing of 2001 (with 70 mm print) at TIFF.

Where's The Paradise Theatre? 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Where's The Paradise Theatre? 

It's on Bloor between Dufferin and Ossington.

Here's some photos of the interior - https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/12/paradise-theatre-toronto/

It's definitely a bit pricey for a second-run theatre (basically full price tickets), but I'll try to go from time to time, since the owners deserve some major plaudits for bringing this place back from the dead.

7 hours ago, ejp626 said:

It's on Bloor between Dufferin and Ossington.

Here's some photos of the interior - https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/12/paradise-theatre-toronto/

It's definitely a bit pricey for a second-run theatre (basically full price tickets), but I'll try to go from time to time, since the owners deserve some major plaudits for bringing this place back from the dead.

Wow!  Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Utterly lame IMO. Doesn't anyone remember, in this puzzle mystery/joust vein, ... the "Sleuth" semi-offshoot with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve?

Deathtrap? I saw the Broadway play (by Ira Levin) c. 1980 and enjoyed it, but didn't see the later film. Doubt I'll watch Knives Out, either.

Saw Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead at TIFF Lightbox tonight.  I don't think I've seen it since the original release in 1999.  I enjoyed it, though there are plenty of over-the-top moments (and not all are attributed to Nicholas Cage).  I did not realize until I saw the closing credits that the voice of one of the dispatchers was Scorese himself, while the one who banters with Ving Rhames was Queen Latifah!