• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Hester Street

Fantastic movie from Joan Micklin Street. When I was a kid being from Hester Street was not considered a good thing. When we misbehaved, my grandmother (and people of her generation) would say that “you act like you were brought up on Hester Street.”

On 2/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, Brad said:

This is excellent, a semi fictional look at the collapse of Lehman Brothers.  Just as good as The Big Short, which was a tremendous movie. 

3A0DA860-8824-4BC2-8BC5-92AD6D0ED8EF.jpeg

That's as well-acted a film as I've seen in awhile.  Even Demi Moore is good.  Some real heavyweights here, especially Jeremy Irons who perfectly captures the greed and avarice that characterized Wall Street before the fall.  The scene where he makes his first appearance is riveting.  I'm a fan of The Big Short" as well, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go with "Margin Call."  No aesthetic distance here...it's a film that really draws you in and makes you feel like you have seat at the table. 

Edited by Dave James

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

That's as well-acted a film as I've seen in awhile.  Even Demi Moore is good.  Some real heavyweights here, especially Jeremy Irons who perfectly captures the greed and avarice that characterized Wall Street before the fall.  The scene where he makes his first appearance is riveting.  I'm a fan of The Big Short" as well, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go with "Margin Call."  No aesthetic distance here...it's a film that really draws you in and makes you feel like you have seat at the table. 

I got a kick out of the name of the  Irons character: John Tuld vs Lehman’s Richard Fuld.

I never read The Big Short but did read Charles Gasparino’s The Sellout. Pretty amazing. 

Edited by Brad

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I got a kick out of the name of the  Irons character: John Tuld vs Lehman’s Richard Fuld.

I never read The Big Short but did read Charles Gasparino’s The Sellout. Pretty amazing. 

"Liar's Poker" by Michael Lewis and "Den Of Thieves" by James B. Stewart are also excellent reads. 

Watched a nice movie with my flu-bound wife last night.  "Last Chance Harvey", starring Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson.  It struck a lot of chords with me on alienation, the impact of divorce on kids, aging, career "settling" , elder care, etc.  Look foreward to seeing it again.  Filmed ca. 2009.

Edited by felser

Last night I watched this triple feature:

51333-gOVbL._AC_.jpg

613bZTRUUoL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Charles Laughton is superb and well deserved the Best Actor Oscar awarded him for his work.  The actresses portraying his wives are also splendid, Merle Oberon,  Wendy Barrie, Binnie Barnes and the wonderful Elsa Lanchester.

beefcake-movie-cover.jpg?v=1456208011

An odd docudrama about Bob Mizer, who was sort of a low-rent, gay version of Hugh Hefner as a pioneering purveyor of "adult entertainment", in Mr. Mizer's case, as the photographer and publisher behind Physique Pictorial, a "men's fitness" magazine which featured very scantily clad (later to be fully naked) young men.  The film includes interview segments with men who were actually around and part of the scene back in the L.A. of the late 1940's-1950's, the two gentlemen listed on the above DVD cover being the most well known names.  The film also dramatizes events to show the rise of and some of the heyday of Mr. Mizer's photographic and filmmaking career.  This part seems a bit too campy and less seedy than the reality likely was.  The movie just kind of winds down around 1964, even though Mr. Mizer continued on with his work/passion until his death in 1992.

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Was that "the final cut"?  I thought he should have cut some more.   (The French plantation scene makes no sense to me and slows the film down a lot.) 

It wasn’t the final cut because there’s no plantation scene. The movie ends with Martin Sheen saying “the horror.” The way I remember it when I first saw it was with Kurtz’s being destroyed and the Doors singing. I was expecting this when I saw it last night so that surprised me.  

3 hours ago, Brad said:

It wasn’t the final cut because there’s no plantation scene. The movie ends with Martin Sheen saying “the horror.” The way I remember it when I first saw it was with Kurtz’s being destroyed and the Doors singing. I was expecting this when I saw it last night so that surprised me.  

I'm no longer sure what that version is, I've seen so many different ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

04.jpg?w=640

Peter Cushing gets to be one of the good guys in this one.  It's a pretty lame sci-fi horror pic in which a research doctor working on a cure for cancer on a remote, secluded island accidentally develops some creatures that live by sucking the bones out of living things.  The creatures themselves are laughable -- a kind of rubbery, armor-plated stingray which some stagehand has to throw/drop onto a couple of poor actors who then have to roll around on the ground and make it look like they are engaged in a vicious battle against gruesome death instead of frolicking wit an exotic but beloved family pet.  Very workmanlike direction by Terence Fisher.

• 2 weeks later...