• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thethief.JPG

I hadn't seen this film in almost 40 years until I found it on YouTube.  Granted, it's a gimmick movie, but it still kinda works.  It's clearly an attempt at a Hitchcock style film, but the suspense isn't always maintained.  Ray Milland's character is an American physicist who is engaged in sending secret nuclear documents to  . . . well, this being 1952, the audience would know to who/where.  The G-men grow wise and he has to take it on the lam and hide out in some cheap NYC hotel until his "partners" can smuggle him out of the country.  There is a chase up the stairs of the Empire State Bldg. which Hitchcock probably could have made into something more suspenseful/memorable than the extended scene of two guys just running up flight after flight of stairs that exists here.  It has a very wimpy ending, but it's still worth seeing at least once.

Self Discovery For Social Survival. Surf movie, mostly shots of surfers riding the waves, interspersed with cosmic narration. A group of musicians improvised over the film and created a wonderful sound track of surfer style instrumental songs. Enjoyed it very much, only fifty minutes but worth the watch. Highly recommend watching with headphones. 

42-og-770x770.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&ssl=

Edited by Matthew

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Haven't seen it in ages, but just watched Dr. Strangelove.

MV5BZWI3ZTMxNjctMjdlNS00NmUwLWFiM2YtZDUy

My son had to watch a movie about the Cold War and write a short report, and I thought he should go with one of the very best.

While this movie is great and I’ve seen it umpteen times so is Failsafe. It’s very good and I’d recommend that to anyone.  The novel by Burdick and Wheeler was also very good. 

Edited by Brad

12 hours ago, duaneiac said:

No I didn't.  Now I'm curious what extras are in the restored version?

I don't have the DVD/Blu-Ray, Eddie Muller , host of Film Noir Alley, and a big part of the reason this film was finally restored (it had been in public domain hell for decades) showed it on TCM a few years ago, my first time seeing it. Just an amazing film.

Here's info in the Blu-Ray release and the extras

https://www.amazon.com/Late-Tears-Newly-Restored-Blu-ray/dp/B01AXGCW9W

On 5/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, Brad said:

While this movie is great and I’ve seen it umpteen times so is Failsafe. It’s very good and I’d recommend that to anyone.  The novel by Burdick and Wheeler was also very good. 

"Seven Days In May" very much walks in the footprint of "Fail Safe.".  Both are real nail biters.  Great cast that includes Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Frederic March, Edmond O'Brien, Martin Balsam and a cameo from John Houseman.  

Just now, Dave James said:

"Seven Days In May" very much walks in the footprint of "Fail Safe.".  Both are real nail biters.  Great cast that includes Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Frederic March, Edmond O'Brien, Martin Balsam and a cameo from John Houseman.  

Seven Days is a great one. Seen all three movies several times. However, I think Fail Safe is or seems a bit more realistic than Seven Days. 

On 5/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, BERIGAN said:

I don't have the DVD/Blu-Ray, Eddie Muller , host of Film Noir Alley, and a big part of the reason this film was finally restored (it had been in public domain hell for decades) showed it on TCM a few years ago, my first time seeing it. Just an amazing film.

Here's info in the Blu-Ray release and the extras

https://www.amazon.com/Late-Tears-Newly-Restored-Blu-ray/dp/B01AXGCW9W

It's also streaming on Amazon Prime.  I watched it and it is great, but it looks like they couldn't find very good materials for the restoration. I've never seen a tv broadcast of such a high contrast film or one with as many jump-cuts because of missing frames. 

And considering the ban here on politics why don't you change your signatures?    Chris Albertson  died a year ago. 

Edited by medjuck

On 5/10/2020 at 2:07 AM, medjuck said:

It's also streaming on Amazon Prime.  I watched it and it is great, but it looks like they couldn't find very good materials for the restoration. I've never seen a tv broadcast of such a high contrast film or one with as many jump-cuts because of missing frames. 

I think the versions streaming on Amazon Prime are old, PD versions, not the new restoration. At least, that's what appears to be the case from an admittedly cursory search I just did there. 

IIRC the restoration was based on a 35mm release print, none of which had been previously thought to survive. The PD versions are sourced from dupey 16mm prints. 

7 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I think the versions streaming on Amazon Prime are old, PD versions, not the new restoration. At least, that's what appears to be the case from an admittedly cursory search I just did there. 

IIRC the restoration was based on a 35mm release print, none of which had been previously thought to survive. The PD versions are sourced from dupey 16mm prints. 

It looked that way but it was advertised as the restored version. BTW I forgot to mention it was written by Roy Huggins who created The Fugitive. 

Edited by medjuck

• 2 weeks later...

Hollywood Hotel. Musicals from the 1930s seem to have a unique feel to them, a "rough-and-ready" atmosphere, that the more polished ones from the 50s lack. I always found the opening sequence to Hollywood Hotel very weird and bizarre. 

Hollywood Hotel (1937) - IMDb

Edited by Matthew
spelling