• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Matthew said:

Double Indemnity.

1944: Double Indemnity Best Year Classic Movie Old Film Retro ...

Interesting: neither James M Cain or Raymond Chandler get their name on the poster. 

50 minutes ago, Matthew said:

The Kennel Murder Case. William Powell & Mary Astor, directed by Michael Curtiz -- what's not to like?

Scottie “Movie Star” Power | Scottie Heaven

I've always thought that Curtiz was under appreciated especially considering he directed Casablanca. 

14 hours ago, medjuck said:

Interesting: neither James M Cain or Raymond Chandler get their name on the poster. 

I've always thought that Curtiz was under appreciated especially considering he directed Casablanca. 

I agree, I find Curtiz's films always fascinating to watch. Think the problem might be that Curtiz's filmography is so vast and varied, it's hard to get a handle on.

Edited by Matthew

3 hours ago, medjuck said:

Like Fred Zinnemann, he had no distinguishable style or themes.  Just great story telling skills. 

Out of the 150+ features movies that Curtiz has directed,  I never came across to more than 5 of them in dvd stores. Another under-appreciated director:

Martin Ritt - Hud

PaulNewmanHud.jpg

Sgt. Bilko. To show you how slow on the up take I am, it was only this afternoon, watching this movie for about the 20th time, that I got the name Bilk-o, that he bilks people out of their money. I don't know I missed that one all these years. It's a dumb movie, but I really enjoy it.

Sgt. Bilko (1996) - IMDb

Watched a couple of absurd, supposedly film noir movies last night.  First up:

91Re-wB55-L._RI_.jpg

A laughably silly story.  Paul Henreid plays a med school dropout turned criminal  He orchestrates a robbery of an underworld gambling den and after his henchmen are bumped off by the mobster he robbed, he comes up with an escape plan.  Turns out there is a psychiatrist who just happens to look exactly like him (and oddly enough, just also happens to have a German accent) save for a scar on his cheek.  Mr. Henreid romances Joan Bennett who is the doctor's secretary.  He then concocts an elaborate plan in which he kills the doctor and takes his place.  To do so, he must put a scar on his face, but -- are you ready for this -- he puts the scar on the wrong side of his face, but no one even seems to notice.  Things do not end well for any one.

Then things got even worse with this stinker:

loretta-young-poster.jpg

That's right -- this nearly 40 year old "girl" is in danger y'all!  Her husband is very ill and has it in his mind that his wife (Ms. Young) is in love with his doctor and they are scheming to kill him.  He secretly writes a letter to the D.A. making his allegation and his wife hands it off to the postman.  After confronting his wife with this allegation and almost killing her with a gun, the husband conveniently dies of his heart condition.  Now, the wife must track down the postman and get that letter back or else she will be suspected of murder.  A truly awful performance by Ms. Young and the whole film seems more like a long Carol Burnett sketch as it is so inane and silly. This movie really deserves an MST3K treatment.   Undistinguished music by Andre Previn.

Edited by duaneiac

17 hours ago, Matthew said:

She.

She (1935) - IMDb

I don't think I've ever seen a Helen Gahagan movie.  Later as Helen Gahagan Douglas, SHE was elected to the US House of Representatives and SHE might have spared us all a lot of trouble had SHE defeated Richard Nixon in their 1950 Senate battle.

46 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Helen Gahagan movie.  Later as Helen Gahagan Douglas, SHE was elected to the US House of Representatives and SHE might have spared us all a lot of trouble had SHE defeated Richard Nixon in their 1950 Senate battle.

Movie's not too bad, Randolph Scott has all the acting range of A to B, incredibly wooden, it says something where Nigel Bruce is the most vibrant presence of the film!

The HGD election was a byword, and a ubiquitous example in California politics even when I was growing up. It set the tone for a long time.