Return Of The Film Corner Thread

4 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Helen Gahagan movie.  Later as Helen Gahagan Douglas, SHE was elected to the US House of Representatives and SHE might have spared us all a lot of trouble had SHE defeated Richard Nixon in their 1950 Senate battle.

Nixon’s conduct in that campaign was red baiting at its worst. She also had a relationship with LBJ, as recounted in Robert Caro’s Master of the Senate.

Edited by Brad

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Screen-Shot-2020-06-18-at-9-33-44-AM.png

This movie is wild in so many ways.  Can't believe I've never seen it or even heard much about  it before. If you get a chance, watch it, or at least the Shanghai Lil number at the end. 

Ruby Keeler is all of a sudden Chinese! It is a crazy film! where Cagney and Blondel are running wild! Dick Powell is playing himself again! All the musical numbers are at the end of the movie! I'm using too many exclamation points!!!! 

31 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Ruby Keeler is all of a sudden Chinese! It is a crazy film! where Cagney and Blondel are running wild! Dick Powell is playing himself again! All the musical numbers are at the end of the movie! I'm using too many exclamation points!!!! 

It cries out for exclamation points.  ( I restrained myself-- once I started I knew I'd never stop.)  Yes, Ruby Keeler, surrounded by  prostitutes and an opium den, but it ends with the  Stars & Stripes and FDR. 

On 5/18/2016 at 10:57 PM, Jazzmoose said:

Blandings1948.jpg

Little known factoid.  To promote the film, RKO Studios actually built 73 so-called "Dream Houses" across the country.  Some of them were sold by raffle.  One is located in Cedar Hills, Oregon which is about ten miles from where I live.  I've driven by it many times. 

Edited by Dave James

• 2 weeks later...

The Boy Who Found Gold. A documentary on Fr. William Hart McNichols, who is a Catholic priest and also one of America's preeminent icon writers. Very interesting, clearly a person who is very spiritual and a great artist. Watched on Amazon Prime.

The Boy Who Found Gold” looks at unlikely art fame of William Hart ...