Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Caught the last part of The Hot Rock today. I’ve seen it several times. What a cast: Mostel, Redford, George Segal, Ron Leibman, Moses Gunn. Terrific 

IIRC it's Donald Westlake via Bill Goldman.   Hard to beat that combination.   And Peter Yates was a pretty good director. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the re-release of Inception in the theatre two weeks ago.  Only 4 of us in there, and the tickets were only $5!  I will have to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses though...

Probably will see Tenet this upcoming weekend.  Expecting somewhat larger crowds, but probably still not up to the 35% capacity limit.

57 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Saw the re-release of Inception in the theatre two weeks ago.  Only 4 of us in there, and the tickets were only $5!  I will have to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses though...

Probably will see Tenet this upcoming weekend.  Expecting somewhat larger crowds, but probably still not up to the 35% capacity limit.

Theatres are closed for the foreseeable future in NJ so I’m wondering how seating worked. I assume that at least every other seat is closed off but what about seats in the row in front of and behind you. I also assume they are numbered seats. 

17 hours ago, Brad said:

Theatres are closed for the foreseeable future in NJ so I’m wondering how seating worked. I assume that at least every other seat is closed off but what about seats in the row in front of and behind you. I also assume they are numbered seats. 

I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but here, they sell reserved seats (in pairs, though you can order just one ticket) and then the entire row in front and behind are blocked off.  Then there are three or four seats left vacant until the next available pair, on both sides.  I didn't calculate, but at this theatre, max. capacity is probably closer to 15%, not 35%, with all the blocked off seats.  This could be an issue this weekend, but if it is too crowded, we obviously won't go (or even be let in).

It is fair to say, I am only considering going (to the movies and also to the gym) because community spread is pretty low in Toronto, though edging up very slightly.  In states where there are still thousands of new cases a day, it would be very foolish to go.

Edited by ejp626

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but here, they sell reserved seats (in pairs, though you can order just one ticket) and then the entire row in front and behind are blocked off.  Then there are three or four seats left vacant until the next available pair, on both sides.  I didn't calculate, but at this theatre, max. capacity is probably closer to 15%, not 35%, with all the blocked off seats.  This could be an issue this weekend, but if it is too crowded, we obviously won't go (or even be let in).

It is fair to say, I am only considering going (to the movies and also to the gym) because community spread is pretty low in Toronto, though edging up very slightly.  In states where there are still thousands of new cases a day, it would be very foolish to go.

Our governor has been very cautious so no gyms or movie theatres. 

Just saw Tenet in the theatre.  6 of us, including my son.  It felt pretty safe, and we were well spread out.  Still thinking it through, but there seem to be a handful of huge plot holes.  I guess that's always the case with movies that involve time travel or time inversion in this case.  Still, the effects were pretty cool and probably worth catching on the big screen if you can...

I generally don't go see films at TIFF during the festival itself, though I sometimes go to see films at TIFF Lightbox after the festival is over.  A couple caught my eye this time around, with Night of the Kings/La Nuit des Rois by Philippe Lacôte probably being the most interesting.  However, it is impossible to get in-person tickets, and the streaming costs $19, which seems on the high side.

I'll wait around and see if it gets picked by another streaming service at some point.

The next film I am likely to see in person is the new Wes Anderson, The French Dispatch, which opens in about a month.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, catesta said:

I watched this once before several weeks ago and then again this weekend. It's a good one.

The Gentlemen (2019 film) - Wikipedia

Agreed! Saw it in the theatre and just watched it again last night. I do love Guy Ritchie's British gangster movies!

Hugh Grant is especially good in this one!

gregmo

Rewatched one of my all-time favorite films --

9343845_1.jpg?v=8CC9B2F3E7328E0

It's so brilliant on so many levels -- the acting, the writing, the choreography, the cinematography, the editing (Oscar winner Alan Heim), the musical score (Oscar winner Ralph Burns), the costuming (Oscar winner Albert Wolsky) and set designing.  And if none of that impresses you, there is always Ann Reinking :wub:!!!  For a film so centered around death, it's simply brimming with life.  I remember when I first saw it when it came out in 1979, I was so  gobsmacked by the whole experience, I stayed in my seat to watch the next showing.  Rarely have I done that with a film.