Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had Chimes at Midnight as a Spanish import for some time, but finally had a chance to watch the Criterion version (which came out in 2016) where they really got it cleaned up and the sound synced a bit better.  https://www.criterion.com/films/28756-chimes-at-midnight

I'll probably have to watch it another time or two to decide if it really is up there with Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil, but likely so.

Anyway, definitely worth checking out the interview with Beatrice Welles (his daughter who had a role in the movie though apparently they dubbed her voice...)

Still on a bit of a Criterion binge.  Had a chance to watch this dark comedy for this first time tonight - The Inheritance by Masaki Kobayashi.  Really interesting.  Pretty much everyone hatches a scheme to get part of the dying man's inheritance.  There was one plot twist that I did catch but I missed whether another character was also plotting or was actually innocent, more or less.

T612OsV48c1zR4Xc5eq2sBAGUarTfv_large.jpg

I probably won't get to the actual film for another week or so, but I was watching the extras and was intrigued to learn that Jacques Demy's The Young Girls of Rochefort was simultaneously shot as a French version and an English version.  There are some behind the scenes shots of the choreographer speaking to the principals in English!  And quite a bit of dubbing during the songs.  It doesn't appear that the English version is available anywhere, which seems quite unfortunate.  It surely would have fit on the Criterion Blu-Ray as a bonus feature.

UuPFXlH0fFka8JfO68P6pvtLLtIFTX_large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Night of the Iguana for the first time.

51vy1upiPHL._SY445_.jpg

Definitely interesting.  I had seen the play many years ago.  I hope to again some day, though it is not staged all that often.  At any rate, I went through the script to see what Huston had changed or more typically rearranged.  Williams' play is more direct about several things that are left a bit ambiguous in the movie, and the play also contains a couple of Germans who are Nazi supporters (!) (wisely left out of the film).  Huston also seems to have moved the setting up to the early 1960s whereas the play is set in the 40s.  I thought the rearranging of the very final scene worked pretty well, though there are certainly those who feel the stage version ends better.

The special features were pretty nice, especially the color shots of the set (and apparently Huston pulled a Herzog, long before Herzog, building a set in a completely remote area where everything had to be hauled up a small mountain).  And some clips of Elizabeth Taylor hanging out with the cast -- her presence was particularly scandalous as she was still married to Eddie Fisher...

• 1 month later...

Trying to make up for lost time/major gaps in my film education.

Last week was Satyajit Ray's Mahapurush (The Holy Man), which I find quite droll and focused (it runs just over an hour).

Tonight was Nayak (The Hero)

ng8FodQqzi3lNTIORgaOy4HgxDqmbm_large.jpg

This is a film very much in conversation with Fellini's 8 1/2 (which I happened to see for the first time recently), but to be honest I felt The Hero flowed a bit better.  I liked it quite a bit, though The Holy Man is probably better when you are just looking for a comedy.

https://i2.wp.com/curnblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-1978-poster.jpg

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), an excellent remake of Don Siegel's 1956 film starring Donald Sutherland. Got to this through the Denny Zeitlin connection after having listened to the very interesting interview with Ben Sidran. The soundtrack of the movie is really special.

54 minutes ago, OliverM said:

https://i2.wp.com/curnblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-1978-poster.jpg

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), an excellent remake of Don Siegel's 1956 film starring Donald Sutherland. Got to this through the Denny Zeitlin connection after having listened to the very interesting interview with Ben Sidran. The soundtrack of the movie is really special.

hell yes, great great film!

last flick I caught was Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker with early appearances from Julia Duffy and Bill Paxton, and convincing work by Susan Tyrrell and Bo Svenson. Weird one!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 11:18 PM, kinuta said:

The Big Combo - Joseph H Lewis (1955)

Image result for Big Combo blu ray

Some absolutely iconic b&w noir photography makes up for the impenetrable storyline 

Someone called it ' a symphony in light & shadow '

I see two releases of The Big Combo, one part of a box set.  Both are $5.95.  At least one is widescreen.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-big-combo-dvd
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/drama-pack-cinema-deluxe-dvd