Return Of The Film Corner Thread

Under The Shadow - Babak Anvari (2016)

http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/2016/09/under_the_shadow.jpg

Very good Iranian film set during the missile attacks on Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war.

Gradually morphs into a psychological thriller with shades of The Babadook and Repulsion.

Don't expect jump out of the seat horror, it's not that kind of film.

Recommended.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/24/2016 at 11:28 PM, kinuta said:

The Hand by Oliver Stone has a similar plot. Michael Caine plays the lead.

On 10/22/2016 at 2:15 PM, duaneiac said:

51sdieB4%2BDL.jpg

It's just your typical "concert pianist loses his hands in a train wreck and a doctor transplants the hands of a recently executed convicted murder onto the pianist's arms" story.  Do the hands control the man or vice versa?  The first third of the movie is really slow moving even by silent film standards -- how long did it take audiences to understand the concept of "establishing shot" anyway?  The movie picks up the pace the rest of the way and leads to an unlikely melodramatic conclusion.

heh, I was thinking, wow....I didn't know that Peter Lorre film about the hand was Originally the Hands of Orlac (I've never seen, only heard about Hands of Orlac) The film I was thinking of, the Beast with 5 Fingers plot is.... "In a turn-of-the-century Renaissance Italian mansion, its tyrannical owner, a one-handed, wheelchair-bound pianist, with a strong belief in the occult is..."(imdb gives away too much of the plot sometimes) 26f7dc513093868.jpg

Well, that's not the film I was thinking of ... (just how many films are there with pianists that lose a hand?) but digging some more, found the one I was thinking of....and still a Peter Lorre film, Mad Love from 1935 , which is a Remake of Hands of Orlac...never seen any of them....need to rectify that one of these days....

Both posters are cool so uploaded both

8aead2513094043.jpg a574f6513094047.jpg

Edited by BERIGAN

Blood Father - Jean Francois Richet (2016)

https://filmmafia.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/blood-father-french-poster.jpg

Thrilling, no messing about action B movie that has two things going for it, the director did Mesrine, which speaks volumes if you've seen it, and a terrific performance from Mel Gibson.

After seeing this, Tarantino must be kicking himself for not resurrecting Mel's shattered career.

Edited by kinuta

12 hours ago, kinuta said:

Hyena - Gerard Johnson (2014)

http://images2.static-bluray.com/products/20/37791_1_large.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

Moved the dirty cop theme up, or is it down, to new levels of depravity.

Well done but exceedingly grim in parts.

Glad you liked it - if you did! London to Brighton is another in similar genre that I found extremely grim.

220px-A_Fistful_of_Dollars_poster.jpg

Never noticed how stupid this movie was before (though I haven't seen it in decades).  A building in a sparse western town is on fire, and the front door is the only way out?  That's about as moronic as you can get.  Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a rip off of Yojimbo, or Red Harvest, or something, but that's just stupid.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Glad you liked it - if you did! London to Brighton is another in similar genre that I found extremely grim.

I prefered London To Brighton and think it's the better film of the two.

For  A Few Dollars More is a better film. Despite the on screen charisma of Clint, I've always thought A Fistful Of Dollars was quite a ramshackle B movie.

The other day:
"Een echte Vermeer" (A real Vermeer), about the master forger Han van Meegeren, based on a true story. I had expected more of it, but still it was a nice movie.
MV5BMGY4YzAxZTUtZWNjYy00OTg3LWFiNjctYjhm

Before that, in the past months:
"Elle" a film of Paul Verhoeven. He still has this touch and directed this French! movie. Hats off! Horrible, nonetheless fantastic movie with a extraordinary role by Isabelle Huppert.
MV5BMTc5NDI5MzA1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQz

"Men and chicken", weird movie, still quite enjoyable. Two brothers looking for their father. Made in Denmark. Something else, definitely.
MV5BMTcwMjI0OTgxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg3

"Eye in the sky". Good. Frightening scenario. I would not be able to have a job like that.
MV5BNTY4Nzg5MTU0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjY2

1962%20Five%20weeks%20in%20a%20balloon%2

I've never read the Jules Verne book, but I'm guessing this film had very little to do with that anyway.  Beautifully filmed and with some good special effects for the era -- just don't waste your time trying to make much sense of the story.  The performers are good, but the casting is questionable.  Red Buttons has to portray the playboy/journalist/love interest to Barbara Eden.  There are few screen performers more annoying than Red Buttons.  "Five Weeks In a Balloon With Red Buttons" would be a chilling horror movie!  Peter Lorre is cast as an Arabian (!?!?!) slave trader.  His part is played for laughs, so we have a film where Peter Lorre is the funny guy and Red Buttons is the dramatic lead (?!?!?).  Sir Cedric Hardwicke was near the end of his distinguished career and he gives a good performance here (although the only time he seems to try to remind the audience that his Prof. Fergusson character is Scottish is when he pronounces "about" as "aboot").  However, he is very stiff and not just the British "stiff upper lip" kind, but completely "stiff upper torso" kind.  I don't know if he had some sort of physical problems in his later years, but he really should not have been cast in an action/adventure film when watching him only makes the audience fear that he may fall and break a hip at any moment.  Needless to say, the Africans, whether Arabs or "natives", are portrayed as comic book stereotypes.

Raoul Walsh double bill  #2

They Died With Their Boots On (1941)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51EDP73ZBJL._SX342_.jpg

WB's fictionalised take on Custer.

Despite many problems , it's a good swashbuckler with Flynn and De Havilland made for each other.

Actually it's almost two films with the first half showing Custer as a comedic, headstrong clutz, and the second half beefing up the heroics with some really effective scenes between the two leads.

Pursued (1947)  UCLA restoration.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51q2emOfNGL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by kinuta