Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, catesta said:

I didn't enjoy this one at all. I was expecting the "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused and instead got something totally ridiculous.

Well, I have not seen Dazed and Confused, so i didn't have any expectations built up for this movie.  I plan on watching D&C "someday", as I have heard good things about it.  I also liked Boyhood by the same director.  I have read that he also considers this film as a kind of "spiritual sequel" to that film, since that one ends with the boy/man going off to college and this one begins with a boy/man arriving for his first year of college.

I could see some one not liking this movie.  I would have been kind of "meh" about it, but I thought the denouement regarding the central character helped push it into the "like" column.  Not "strongly like" or "love", but "like" nonetheless.

I guess the nostalgia factor also played a part in my enjoyment of this movie.  I would have been in the same age group as these characters in 1980, so the clothes, cars and music all brought back some pleasant memories of college days long gone.

Edited by duaneiac

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

I recall enjoying it in a theatre when it was released. I look forward to seeing it again.

A genuinely charming film, and a welcome distraction from the daily maelstrom of depressing news.

I doubt any kids could be that hip & cool, but the Halloween mini sequence is beautiful.

Jawbone - Thomas Napper (2017)

http://www.ifco.ie/website/ifco/ifcoweb.nsf/0/550A6C8458D5A30380258115004F52A4/$File/Jawbone.jpg?Openelement

Well, here's the kind of surprise that makes film viewing worthwhile.

Mark Kermode heaped praise on this little gem and, although I often disagree with him, he was on the nail with this one.

A fight film that is really a haunting character study, with real heart and soul, carried along by four terrific central performances, a fine script and businesslike direction.

Watch it if you get chance. It's one of the year's best imo.

Sing-Your-Song-DVD-F.jpg

I recently finished listening to the audiobook version of Harry Belafonte's memoir.  Now I watched this documentary which is kind of a condensed version of that story.  And what a story it is encompassing Broadway, Hollywood, Vegas, best-selling albums (the very first million seller), award-winning TV programs, in addition to the whole civil rights movement in which he played several important roles, in addition to leading the international fight against apartheid and to free Nelson Mandela, in addition to helping organize the whole USA For Africa and the "We Are The World" recording, in addition to being a UNICEF representative on the ground in famine stricken Ethiopia and later in war-torn Rwanda, in addition to (in his 80's) attempting to  bring peace and a path to another way of life to gang members in L.A.  Like him or hate him, no one can ever say this man didn't make a difference with his life.

On 6/2/2017 at 6:14 PM, duaneiac said:

Well, I have not seen Dazed and Confused, so i didn't have any expectations built up for this movie.  I plan on watching D&C "someday", as I have heard good things about it.  I also liked Boyhood by the same director.  I have read that he also considers this film as a kind of "spiritual sequel" to that film, since that one ends with the boy/man going off to college and this one begins with a boy/man arriving for his first year of college.

I could see some one not liking this movie.  I would have been kind of "meh" about it, but I thought the denouement regarding the central character helped push it into the "like" column.  Not "strongly like" or "love", but "like" nonetheless.

I guess the nostalgia factor also played a part in my enjoyment of this movie.  I would have been in the same age group as these characters in 1980, so the clothes, cars and music all brought back some pleasant memories of college days long gone.

After you've watched Dazed and Confused you'll see what a turd this movie was. :)