Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Only posting the ones I've enjoyed.

Keep in mind that I enjoy them for different reasons, from picture to picture. Some I enjoy for the dialogue, some for the acting "style"s, some for the look, some for the sociological elements of different periods of American life captured at times quite inadvertently, any number of reasons besides them being "great cinema". But I have been both entertained and engaged by all of them. If I put up the poster, that means I felt like the movie was worth the hour or so that it took to watch it.

Thanks!

gregmo

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like, when was a "coupe" referred to as a "coo-pay"? Seen that in a few of these. That and drivers of a car getting in and out on the passenger side, front bench seats, I guess. That and the whole phone thing and how it affects behaviors, timings, etc.

These movies tend to be about an hour long, and are every bit as well made as a typical hour long TV drama of today, and usually have better acting...or at least acting that's more fun to "play along" with. Not great art, ever, but, you know, so little of anything really is.

On 6.5.2018 at 8:38 PM, JSngry said:

MV5BYTRlMjYzZjQtMDYxYS00NTcwLWI4N2YtM2Zj

I remember listening to radio episodes of the "Inner Sanctum" mystery series on AFN radio during my schol days. Predating this movie. For some reasons AFN radio had regular hours broadcasting very, very old radio shows from the 40s, 50s and early 60s over here. This is where I listened to countless hours of the Jack Benny Show and also quite a bit of Bergen & McCarthy. Zany!! But I do wonder what their ACTUAL audience (beyond nostalgia/period flair-minded listeners-in like me) was among the average G.I.s of the "all-volunteer army" dispatched overseas at that time (1975-80)? No doubt other, more up-to-date radio series would have constituted more of a "touch of home"?

These old radio shows suited me fine but later on I wondered if maybe they had had a stack of those old tapes (that they had brought along when they set up their services after 1945) stacked away in a corner and decided to broadcast them over and over again until the tapes finally crumbled to dust ... ;)

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Like, when was a "coupe" referred to as a "coo-pay"? Seen that in a few of these. That and drivers of a car getting in and out on the passenger side, front bench seats, I guess. That and the whole phone thing and how it affects behaviors, timings, etc.

These movies tend to be about an hour long, and are every bit as well made as a typical hour long TV drama of today, and usually have better acting...or at least acting that's more fun to "play along" with. Not great art, ever, but, you know, so little of anything really is.

Must be very much pre-1960 indeed. "Little Deuce Coupe" (pronounced "coop") came up c. 1960.

Yes, getting in an out of the car on the passenger side was a trademark. Makes us "Yurpeens" admire the size if those classic US car interiors.
Unless, of course, you just jump over the edge of the body tub and into the seat (cf. Kookie in 77 Sunset Strip ;))

And yes, their acting cannot have been any worse than that of many TV series of today. And often it's more fun to watch.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

another thing I like about the REALLY old B Movies is watching both actors and directors leave all kinds of vestiges of silent acting in there, It's not unlike listening to a jazz record where there's a "modern" element in place, but it's all interpreted "older".

And then there's the cast members who were active in silent films aging into support/character roles in soundies. That's a trip when you look up some name that you saw in a side role in, like, 1935 and find out that 20 years earlier, this cat was a PLAYER.

MV5BOTVhN2IyYmEtYWQ1Zi00ZTZmLWE1MzgtYTRm

MV5BZjEwMjVkODgtNzhlNC00NTE1LThhZGMtNWE3

My first look at a Tim McCoy movie. It's a western with airplanes, parachutes, portable short wave radios, and radon rays that cause airplanes to lose power when shot up from a ghost town. And of course, good guys and bad guys, both with guns.

It an experience not unlike listening to an early 70s Cannonball record, and I think I would enjoy seeing some more Tim McCoy pictures.

GW252H191

It's immediately pre-Perry, and he plays a good guy (an attorney!) who gets royally fucked over by Angela Lansbury.

Don't know if it was intentional or not, but it seems like there's a bit of homo-erotic subtext n his character from start to finish. YMMV on that though.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dave Garrett said:

Did you add this channel from the Roku Channel Store, or by entering a code manually? It's apparently no longer available in the Channel Store (searching there for it returns no results, and the link on the Roku Guide page dumps me back to the first page of the Movies & TV section of the Channel Store).

I think I tried to add this channel to my Roku once before, and ran into the same problem, but if it was indeed yanked, it seems to have happened fairly recently, as there are references elsewhere on the web to it being available at the beginning of this year. 

As of last night this gem of a station is no longer available.

However, Roku has a buttload full of PD stations, and I've switched over to this one: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/39925/publicdoma

6c9f63da05314a3bb4e9a1aa2767318b-hd.jpg

Pretty good selection not just of movies but of all sorts of things. It's now gonna be my first choice, inaugurated today by another look at an old favorite:

MV5BMTY5ODAzMTcwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYx

Supposedly this is not US PD, but/so...there it is anyway.