• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bohemian Rhapsody - Bryan Singer (2018)

Related image

Rami Malek is good as Freddie Mercury.

The band do a very credible job of imitating Queen.

The final concert is note perfect.

And maybe that's the film's biggest flaw, it's imitation.

Didn't really work for me as a film, it seemed all over the place.

Walk The Line is still king of the musicbios imho.

33 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Maybe because I wasn't that familiar with Queen or maybe because the LA Times was so incredulous that it won the Golden Globes, I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody.  But I think  "Ray" is even better than "Walk the Line", maybe because I like the music even better. 

I do agree about the music, I'd listen to Ray anytime rather than Johnny Cash.

What makes Walk The Line my pic is the acting and the fact that Phoenix & Witherspoon actually did the vocals, and did them very well imo.

Finally managed to see Roma, and in the theatre (70mm print no less).  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a few flashes of Tati here and there, particularly in the way the sound functioned and then the way that Cleo and her boss end up photobombing some wedding shots, which then turns into a dance.

Just saw a great, hilarious, crazy Japanese film, "Survive Style Five+" (2004). Nothing as profound as Sono (my fave Japanese director), but just unbelievable visual imagination, and wild sense of humor. The director and writer never made another feature, and went back into advertising, so you're not gonna find it in the Criterion Collection.

Definitely up to Miike's "Happiness of the Kakuturi's", but no singing. 

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Finally managed to see Roma, and in the theatre (70mm print no less).  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a few flashes of Tati here and there, particularly in the way the sound functioned and then the way that Cleo and her boss end up photobombing some wedding shots, which then turns into a dance.

Good point.  He uses few close-ups rather like Tati. 

Relative to the Green Book comments, here are a couple of articles well worth reading:

The Green Book's Black History

Why Do the Oscars Keep Falling for Racial Reconciliation Fantasies?

The last article by Wesley Morris is particularly good and posits movies like Green Book and Driving Ms. Daisy against movies like Do the Right Thing. 

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Relative to the Green Book comments, here are a couple of articles well worth reading:

Why Do the Oscars Keep Falling for Racial Reconciliation Fantasies?

I can address that last one in a few words: The business of American entertainment culture has always been about making white Americans feel that they are ultimately going to be safe. Not convinced that it's a conspiracy, but am pretty sure that it's a collective consciousness at work. Conservatives push fear, liberals push reconciliation, but implicit in both approaches is that it's our world in which to decide how it's going to go. The safety of ownership.

If you want to build that out to matters like who's in the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame" and who's not, feel free. Soft Machine (for example) will never in there becuase what do they do to make White Americans feel safe about Black People?

This should be common knowledge by now, but the fact that it keeps being news is simply proof that the system is working as planned.