Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The_Maltese_Falcon_1931_Poster.jpg

First time for this one.  A very interesting movie.  Like the more familiar one, the dialogue is largely straight from the book, so it's almost like watching same movie-a "dueling directors" clash of sorts.  I certainly wouldn't pick it over the Bogie version, but I can't help but wish Huston hadn't had to deal with the code.

By the way, this came in the three pack along with the original and The Devil Meets a Lady, the middle version.  I've seen it before, and you couldn't pay me enough to watch it again.

Edited by Jazzmoose
double double post post

John Huston double bill.

Moulin Rouge (1952)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sites/bfi.org.uk.films-tv-people/files/styles/gallery_full/public/bfi_stills/bfi-00m-f7a.jpg?itok=5iypoq7i

HD copy from tv

Freud  (1962)

http://ww1.experiencela.com/Uploads/20070906212201-65166.jpg

Fantastic film.  Why is it so hard to obtain ?

Dark, moody, incredibly inventive, impressionist filmmaking coupled with a straight forward narrative and powerful avant garde type score

The Lynchian flashbacks and dream sequences are amazing, 

I've watched this twice recently and there's still enough left to appreciate to warrant a third viewing.

The best ' previously unseen classic' I've seen in ages.

First time for me seeing this classic:

24430_3_large.jpg

There's so much to like about it, beginning with the screenplay by Billy Wilder & Charles Brackett.  The two stars were excellent, even if one does not naturally think of Gary Cooper as a comedic actor, and the supporting cast was terrific with legendary character actors like Oscar Homolka, Cuddles Sakall, Dan Duryea, Elisha Cook, Jr. and even a youngish version of the perpetually old Charles Lane.  And there's a brief appearance by Roy Eldridge in the Gene Krupa band's scene playing "Drum Boogie".

My question is, why was the "G" of MGM producing this picture at RKO?

On July 24, 2016 at 10:38 PM, duaneiac said:

First time for me seeing this classic:

24430_3_large.jpg

There's so much to like about it, beginning with the screenplay by Billy Wilder & Charles Brackett.  The two stars were excellent, even if one does not naturally think of Gary Cooper as a comedic actor, and the supporting cast was terrific with legendary character actors like Oscar Homolka, Cuddles Sakall, Dan Duryea, Elisha Cook, Jr. and even a youngish version of the perpetually old Charles Lane.  And there's a brief appearance by Roy Eldridge in the Gene Krupa band's scene playing "Drum Boogie".

My question is, why was the "G" of MGM producing this picture at RKO?

I've probably watched this one nearly a dozen times over the years, just endlessly enjoyable.  

This was an independent production by Samuel Goldwyn, RKO was only the distributor (that's why the credit states; "released through RKO Radio Pictures, Inc").  

Here's a Wiki page about Samuel Goldwyn Productions.  It mentions that despite his name being part of "MGM" he never produced films at the studio.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Goldwyn_Productions

Star Trek Beyond (2016, Justin Lin) 

star-trek-beyond-2016-poster.jpg

Saw this in IMAX 3-D at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday.  I don't often spend the extra dough for IMAX screenings but Star Trek is a special occasion.  

A fun, action/adventure film that basically plays out like a big-budget variation of the TV series.   Heavy on action, light on plot, with many nice character moments.  Doesn't break any new ground, but in a series this long-running that's not even really a necessity, the fans just want to spend a couple hours with characters they're familiar with.  It's not as overtly earnest as the second J.J. Abrams film, feeling much more like a popcorn serial entertainment (which is what it really is after all).  Lin put his action chops from the Fast & Furious series to good use here, the film contains many dizzying action set-pieces.  

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

Louis Malle double bill.

Le Feu Follet/The Fire Within (1963)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_boxshots/491-ccb7bba2ddafd5991f19d6b8c8a0cb4f/430_box_348x490_original.jpg

Le Souffle Au Coeur / Murmur Of The Heart (1971)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_boxshots/1082-8e3402ceceaf62969f72c866cd2af6ee/328_box_348x490_original.jpg

Great favourites from the past. Wasn't  Le souffle the one with the Charlie Parker/Hank Jones session on the soundtrack?