JSngry

Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2,087 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, medjuck said:

I saw it at a preview screening at the  Cinerama Theater in Toronto.  It was shot in 70mm anamorphic which gave it almost the same aspect ratio as Cinerama and I think they did something optically to compensate for the curved screen. The main thing I remember about it is James Garner and a lot of split screen and multiple images.  

I might wet my pants if I ever got the chance to see a Super Panavision print of GRAND PRIX projected in a Cinerama theater. There are really no other racing movies that compare, with the possible exception of Steve McQueen's LE MANS.

I believe the optical compensation or rectification wasn't done for any of the Super Panavision films like GRAND PRIX, only for Ultra Panavision films. Instead of an anamorphic squeeze being applied uniformly across the frame, rectified prints had a gradient squeeze, with no anamorphosis at the center of the frame but applying it increasingly toward the edges of the frame. So when such a print was projected on a deep-curve Cinerama screen, the squeeze along the sides of the frame was offset by the curved sides of the screen and appeared to be unsqueezed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dave Garrett said:

I might wet my pants if I ever got the chance to see a Super Panavision print of GRAND PRIX projected in a Cinerama theater. There are really no other racing movies that compare, with the possible exception of Steve McQueen's LE MANS.

I believe the optical compensation or rectification wasn't done for any of the Super Panavision films like GRAND PRIX, only for Ultra Panavision films. Instead of an anamorphic squeeze being applied uniformly across the frame, rectified prints had a gradient squeeze, with no anamorphosis at the center of the frame but applying it increasingly toward the edges of the frame. So when such a print was projected on a deep-curve Cinerama screen, the squeeze along the sides of the frame was offset by the curved sides of the screen and appeared to be unsqueezed. 

What was the difference between the two: Was Ultra Panavision anamorphic 65mm and Super Panavision just 65mm?  BTW As you might expect when I saw it the sound was terrific.  8 track I presume but I don't really know a lot about it.    As I remember it when I saw West Side Story on its first release the whistle that opened the film came from the very back of the theater.  Of course, what I remember, and the facts aren't necessarily the same thing. 

 

Just looked it up (Google is your friend): you're right Super Panavision is spherical  and does not have as wide an aspect ratio. Grand Prix was Super Panavision.  However according to Wikipedia the they also compensated for the curve when Superpanavison films were shown in Cinerama theaters.   What do you know about the sound? 

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had forgotten that it was on Cinerama or something like that. I saw it when I lived in Barcelona and it made a big impression on me. My heroes were people like Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill. They were cool, driving those race cars. A year later, they held the Grand Prix of Barcelona, which I attended. It wasn't Formula 1 but Formula 2 but still good enough for me. I took some photos with my Brownie camera, which I will try to post later tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 8:26 PM, medjuck said:

What was the difference between the two: Was Ultra Panavision anamorphic 65mm and Super Panavision just 65mm?  BTW As you might expect when I saw it the sound was terrific.  8 track I presume but I don't really know a lot about it.    As I remember it when I saw West Side Story on its first release the whistle that opened the film came from the very back of the theater.  Of course, what I remember, and the facts aren't necessarily the same thing. 

 

Just looked it up (Google is your friend): you're right Super Panavision is spherical  and does not have as wide an aspect ratio. Grand Prix was Super Panavision.  However according to Wikipedia the they also compensated for the curve when Superpanavison films were shown in Cinerama theaters.   What do you know about the sound? 

AFAIK, Super Panavision used 6-track mag sound (five channels up front and a mono surround channel). There's a summary of the format specs here:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/superpanavisionspecs.htm

in contrast with Ultra Panavision's specs:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/ultrapanavisionspecs.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

AFAIK, Super Panavision used 6-track mag sound (five channels up front and a mono surround channel). There's a summary of the format specs here:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/superpanavisionspecs.htm

in contrast with Ultra Panavision's specs:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/ultrapanavisionspecs.htm

So they were both 6 track with 5 of the tracks up front and mono surrounds.  I remember (wrongly I guess)  it being more directional.  I'm surprised there is no sub woofer.  In the ''80s when we made 70mm prints of anamorphic 35mm films the main attraction was the subwoofer. 

The three films that made the greatest impression on me in terms of sound were Grand Prix, West Side Story and The Guns of Navarone  (which I believe was shot anamorphic 35mm but blown up to 70mm with 6 track sound for big cities).  In each case I remember them being more directional than they probably were if they were mono surround.  In the case of Grand Prix it was probably just loud in the surrounds. 

 

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, medjuck said:

So they were both 6 track with 5 of the tracks up front and mono surrounds.  I remember (wrongly I guess)  it being more directional.  I'm surprised there is no sub woofer.  In the ''80s when we made 70mm prints of anamorphic 35mm films the main attraction was the subwoofer. 

Well, on a huge deep-curve screen, I can see 5 front channels giving more of an illusion of directionality than may really exist, especially in a movie like GRAND PRIX with the cars zipping back and forth within the frame.

As far as the subwoofer, 6-track mag can deliver pretty substantial low-frequency effects without one, given the right sound mix and B-chain. Around twenty years ago I saw a 70mm print of BEN-HUR with 6-track mag, and when it got to the scene with the thunderstorm and Christ on the cross, the rumble was definitely visceral and quite impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This is a very odd Hungarian movie about a young woman who supposedly stumbles into a plot in 1913 to start WWI. 

IMG_0968.JPG

My son made me rent this and then he decided he changed his mind so not wanting to throw the $6 away I watched it.  I never read the book or saw the 1989 version so I thought it was good and gripping in its later stages.  Maybe that's more a testimonial to Stephen King than the movie. 

IMG_0969.png

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short Cuts - Robert Altman (1993)

Image result for short cuts film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sullivan's Travels

MV5BOTU3MzNlYTQtZTVkMC00OTA1LTlkZTktYzMw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood (2004)

Image result for million dollar baby blu ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 6:35 AM, Brad said:

Fabulous movie. 

Jean Pierre !!!  Jean Pierre !!!  A bit soapy at times but when they stick to racing, it's excellent.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Country For Old Men - Coen Bros. (2007)

Image result for no country for old men blu ray

Umpteenth viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Departed - Martin Scorsese (2006)

Image result for the departed blu ray

Easter Parade - Charles Walters (1948)

Image result for easter parade blu ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodnight And Goodluck - George Clooney (2005)

Image result for goodnight and goodluck

Homicide - David Mamet (1991)

Image result for homicide film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kinuta said:

Goodnight And Goodluck - George Clooney (2005)

Image result for goodnight and goodluck

If you’re interested in Edward R Murrow — and he was a God in our house — I highly recommend A.M. Sperber’s biography. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brad said:

If you’re interested in Edward R Murrow — and he was a God in our house — I highly recommend A.M. Sperber’s biography. 

Thank you. Noted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Klute  - Alan J Pakula (1971)

Image result for klute criterion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas in Evergreen. Yes, I proudly shout out that Hallmark Christmas movies rule!!!

MV5BOWI1MGMyZTQtMTFmZC00MmE4LTk2OGYtNzg2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Heiress - William Wyler (1949)

Image result for the heiress 1949 criterion

Beautifully made film. Not one wasted shot and the camera is always in the right place at the right time. IMO at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

3286f3072c6942050f1f1db25dedb46c4e553676

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lady Bird - Greta Gerwig (2017)

Image result for lady bird blu ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Classic Fassbinder.

0774A922-5721-433C-A493-824F120FAEA7.jpeg

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumed Innocent - Alan J Pakula (1990)

Related image

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.