2016 Parliamentary Jazz Awards

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Wait until you hear my upcoming ballads album. On which, of course, I have forsaken my beloved piano, and will exclusively be singing ;)

As long as it contains 'distinctive content' you should be pretty safe!

Enjoyed the Mulatu Astatke gig at Cheltenham a couple of weeks back - it had never clicked that he was the musician heavily featured on the Ethiopiques compilation until you played the tune that Radio 4 took to a few years back. What happened to the event in the gardens? Did threat of rain stop play? I caught it at the Tim Berne event a bit later on. Very nice - made me think of an extended opening to Keith Tippett's 'Septober Energy' (shorn of the other 90 minutes!).

Yes - it was the risk of rain! As we were walking over to the gardens, it started spitting, and I didn't want to jeopardise anyone's instruments - so we were moved last minute into the Big Top, before the Jazz Jamaica gig. Really glad you enjoyed the Parabola performance! For me, possibly the most successful iteration was in the Town Hall, where the more extravagant spatial separation really helped.

Sorry not to catch you for a chat!