medjuck

Jim S. has alluded to the matter on this forum several times in the past (though years ago iirc). I got the impression it was fairly widely known, Googled a few times (also years ago) but couldn't find anything significant, so thought no further of it. I enjoy Williams's pianism and own several recordings, and none of the liner notes even hint at the trans-gender issue.

I was worried when I clicked on this thread that it'd be about her encountering further health problems.  I'm glad that after all of her back problems that she hopes to resume touring and is in a good place.  I'd be interested in her book, and I commend her for speaking out.  

In a case of not being able to keep up with my purchases sometimes, I have a solo release of hers on Candid that I'll spin for the first time tonight.  I should also revisit my other Williams albums.

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Jim S. has alluded to the matter  on this forum several times in the past (though years ago iirc). I got the impression it was fairly widely known, Googled a few times (also years ago) but couldn't find anything significant, so thought no further of it. I enjoy Williams's pianism and own several recordings, and none of the liner notes even hint at the trans-gender issue.

Me? I recall somebody else mentioning II and me wanting to be sure that It was not just gossip, but otherwise, not a subject relevant to my concerns one way or another. Not really a fan, but never hsve been.

Somebody else, perhaps?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Me? I recall somebody else mentioning II and me wanting to be sure that It was not just gossip, but otherwise, not a subject relevant to my concerns one way or another. Not really a fan, but never hsve been.

Somebody else, perhaps?

Jim, I could of course be wrong, because it was a long time ago.

But the memory is pretty strong, since I was a newbie to this board, owned some Williams recordings, and was really surprised. I'm pretty sure there was more than one post (though on different threads), though maybe the reference was offhand. If it was an arbitrary poster rather than a seasoned and knowledgeable veteran like yourself, I wouldn't have bothered to Google.

OTOH, I just searched and couldn't find anything, so maybe I'm out to lunch on this.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

J im, I could of coursinbe wrong,itbecause it was a long time ago.

But the memory anythingty strong, since I was a  newbie to this board, owned some Williams recordings, and was really surprised. I'm pretty sure there was more than one post (though on different threads), though maybe the reference was offhand. If it was an arbitrary poster rather than a seasoned and knowledgeable veteran like yourself, I wouldn't have bothered to Google.

OTOH, I just searched and couldn't find anything, so maybe I'm out to lunch on this.

Fsir enough. In all honesty, all I recall getting Involved In at about that was making sure that there was no gossip being spead, because, hell, I had never heard that before, and you know, something like that can be passed around maliscioulsly., like It's a jokeprank. NOT cool.

Past that, really, Irrelevant to me. If anything past that happened... I would not be happy with myself about that. An Ambient randomness riff,  maybe, but anyting of a "sensational" natoure, god forgive both for doing It and for not remembering.

Btw, my phone keyboard is wagging out, the cursor jumping all over the place. So anything that looks like an editing of thequote, purely inadvertant, sorry. This phone shit is weird for trying to really communicate like on a real keyboard.

I remember being curious having heard this about ten or so years ago on another board and could find no verification. It's unfortunate the current interest in legislating silly things that brings transgender persons into the news.

Edited by jazzbo

Long ago, there was an internet group of SF area gay & lesbian jazz fans (a small group, to be sure).  One of the outings we took was to hear Jessica Williams at Yoshi's in 2003.  It was the first of 2 nights which were recorded for 2 volumes of music released on the MaxJazz label.  I recall one of the women in our group saying that Ms. Williams was a trans woman.  This was the first time I'd ever heard that.  I was very surprised and pretty much discounted it as a rumor, believing that the community of jazz musicians is rather small and insular and if such a thing were true, news of it would have leaked out long ago.

I can't even begin to imagine what she has been through in her life.  Certainly in the 1970's and 80's, being known as a trans woman would not have made it any easier for her to get gigs.  Just being a woman made it difficult enough in jazz.  Working for guys like Stan Getz -- not exactly known as Mr. Sensitivity -- as she did on the recently released CD recorded at Keystone Korner, must have been a tad stressful.  I wonder if that gig was pre-op or post-op for her as she says her surgery also took place in 1976.

She has long been one of my favorite pianists and I certainly applaud her for speaking out.  I hope she is back to full strength and ready to tour and record again soon.

On 5/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, duaneiac said:

Long ago, there was an internet group of SF area gay & lesbian jazz fans (a small group, to be sure).  One of the outings we took was to hear Jessica Williams at Yoshi's in 2003.  It was the first of 2 nights which were recorded for 2 volumes of music released on the MaxJazz label.  I recall one of the women in our group saying that Ms. Williams was a trans woman.  This was the first time I'd ever heard that.  I was very surprised and pretty much discounted it as a rumor, believing that the community of jazz musicians is rather small and insular and if such a thing were true, news of it would have leaked out long ago.

I can't even begin to imagine what she has been through in her life.  Certainly in the 1970's and 80's, being known as a trans woman would not have made it any easier for her to get gigs.  Just being a woman made it difficult enough in jazz.  Working for guys like Stan Getz -- not exactly known as Mr. Sensitivity -- as she did on the recently released CD recorded at Keystone Korner, must have been a tad stressful.  I wonder if that gig was pre-op or post-op for her as she says her surgery also took place in 1976.

She has long been one of my favorite pianists and I certainly applaud her for speaking out.  I hope she is back to full strength and ready to tour and record again soon.

That was Joanne Brackeen with Getz at Keystone Korner, wasn't it?  The Resonance CD, right? 

Jessica Williams is a fantastic piano player. As a jazz fan that's all I care about really. I have a number of her CD's in my collection, though it's only a fairly small slice of her discography. She has recorded a massive number of CD's.  

Edited by John Tapscott

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

That was Joanne Brackeen with Getz at Keystone Korner, wasn't it?  The Resonance CD, right? 

Jessica Williams is a fantastic piano player. As a jazz fan that's all I care about really. I have a number of her CD's in my collection, though it's only a fairly small slice of her discography. She has recorded a massive number of CD's.  

Du'ohh!  You are quite correct.  My mistake.  I have the CD, but was too lazy to get it and double check the facts before writing.

She has recorded a lot of CDs over the years for various labels, but I think most recently she has been recording on her own.  She has many discs available for sale on her website. 

She is also a good, interesting writer and many of her essays & poems can be found on her website as well:

http://www.jessicawilliams.com/currents/index.html

• 8 months later...

Just in case anyone isn't aware, the latest update to Jessica Williams' website has some rather dire news, financially speaking.  It's been ongoing, due to health issues, but it seems to have reached a critical point.

http://www.jessicawilliams.com/

It seems that despite her optimism about a return to performing, things haven't been happening or just aren't possible.  As someone who has been listening to her albums lately and periodically checking her website, I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

Just spreading the word...

Aaron

• 5 months later...

Five years ago I had a serious back fusion operation, after 55 years of playing piano. I was financially devastated and lost my piano, too. Please donate to help with rent, food, shelter, and hopefully a piano if you can, or buy a few of my CDs. I get no money for my music from other Internet sites. Thank you all so very much. — Jessica, July 15th, 2017

http://www.jessicawilliams.com/
Edited by EKE BBB