Quote function

fasstrack

otoh...I have a problem - on my phone only, not on any other deviceĀ - of the cursor jumping into the quote and not getting out, as well as getting "stuck" on all caps and not being able to backspace to erase the caps. But I think that's a phone-specific issue not necessarily related to the quote function. Doing some Googling and see that this model phone can wig out on the keyboard under certain conditions. But it's a few years old now, and my texting technique is like my typing - I hit it like Monk - so there's probably more than a few tech issues on my end. My son keeps asking me why I don't get a new phone...because this one still works, that's why. At least for now.

Just curious, though - as the board code continues to be refined for mobile devices (it is, right?), is there any anecdotal evidence that older mobile doftware is becoming not up to the newer tasks demanded of it?

Sorry, but wherever I mention it, it goes unnoticed or at least remainsĀ unrepliedĀ to: can't there be a pop-up installed, asking moderators if they really want to delete entire threads before they actually do so (assuming they delete one lone post)? As we lost some great threads, I feel like that's so much more important than the search engine or the odd quote function and whatever else minor bug around here.

5 hours ago, BillF said:

No you are not.

Same here - not just since last weekend, but for several weeks at least (sometimes worse than other times), but most of the times it works out (I had a few instances where an error page loaded, but when I opened the board in another tab of the browser, I saw the post did go through).

Ā 

And thanks Jim (S.) - I'm quite sure there could be a safety measure introduced for that.

I'm a moderator on another site, and for starters, if your permanently logged in, whenever you take some moderation measures - moving posts, merging or deleting threads/post etc. - you are prompted for your password again. At least that interrupts the entire process and you don't get it done - rightly or wrongly - within one or two clicks and one second. And that alone helps, I'm sure! Also we have the option to delete w/restore option vs. permanently delete, and in general you only use the former function anyway.

The forum used to have a special "trash forum" where deleted posts and threads would go, but the software developers took that out. I asked if there was any way it could be re-implemented and they said no.

The thing to do for the time being is to let me know AS SOON AS IT HAPPENS and I can have the database restored from a backup. We may lose a few posts, but that's better than an entire thread. After two days, it is too late.

Okay, too bad. But that sounds like a reasonable workaround - would be the moderator's duty then, though, to let you know right away.

Okay, too bad. But that sounds like a reasonable workaround - would be the moderator's duty then, though, to let you know right away.

Back to the quote function...my gone deftly gets weird when an upper-case "I " gets involved in a way that it does not when making a straight post. Just putting that out there. But my phone is old, and the board software is new, so...who knows?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...