New Live in Paris Series

Dan Gould

Tried searching by "paris" in the title and didn't find anything so here goes ...

Discovered at The Bastards a new "Live in Paris" series on the Fremeaux & Associes label when I snagged the Les McCann Trio entry.  So far there's an Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Quincy Jones, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, JATP, Nat Cole & The Quincy Jones Big Band, and my probable next target, American Folk Blues 1962. Seems very recent so I am hopeful that there are more to come.

Anyone familiar with these?  As always thanks in advance.

I bought a few ... the Charles, Ella, Q, Sinatra ... they look pretty nice, probably the recordings come from the source. The booklets are pretty short though, but you get all info. The Miles Davis 1960 concerts have been reissued as well.

Will skip the Basie as it's mostly stuff that has earlier been on Laserlight (and before that on whatever the label was called, that "Pour ceux qui aiment le jazz" series).

Here's the list:

Collection Live in Paris            

FA5451    MILES DAVIS    4    CDs
FA5455    GEORGES BRASSENS    1    CD
FA5460    QUINCY JONES    2    CDs
FA5466    RAY CHARLES    3    CDs
FA5470    FRANK SINATRA    1    CD
FA5476    ELLA FITZGERALD    3    CDs
FA5489    JOHNNY HALLYDAY    1    CD
FA5494    NAT KING COLE & THE QUINCY JONES BIG BAND    1    CD
FA5610    HENRI SALVADOR    1    CD
FA5612    LOUIS ARMSTRONG    1    CD
FA5614    AMERICAN FOLK BLUES FESTIVAL    3    CDs
FA5617    ÉDITH PIAF    2    CDs
FA5619    COUNT BASIE    2    CDs

you can currently get the entire collection for 83€ from Frémeaux ... that's where I got the above listing from, hope the links to the individual volumes do work!

here's the link to the offer, just in case:

http://www.lalibrairiesonore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1686&Itemid=13

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Haven't listened to that one yet.

And of course some of this isn't new!

There's more on mp3 it seems:

http://www.live-in-paris.fr/live-in-paris-jazz/

That Horace Silver:  :o:excited::excited:

Can I download from Amazon.fr? I can't seem to select USA as my location.

I need this recording!!

59 minutes ago, l p said:

Show me the Horace Silver then. The only commercially available Paris recording was issued on Pablo and is from 1962. This is 1959.

I've many live Silver recordings from his European tours but never seen a 1959 Paris recording on the trading networks.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the liner notes of the American Folk Blues Festival release, the tapes of the two concerts presented were rediscovered in December of 2014. 

The first two CDs present a complete and unedited evening concert at the Olympia Theater in Paris, in clear and well recorded sound. The third disc is a midnight concert from the same day.

I've just listened to the first disc; it is fantastic.

Edited by kh1958

Not on the lîst is this one:

JATP 1958-1960, à 3CD set with mostly unissued items by the JATP all stars (Roy, Hawk, Carter, Stitt, Byas), Shelly Manne (with Joe Gordon and Richie Kamuca) , Stan Getz

(With  Jan Johansson, Daniel Jordan, William Schlopffe), also Diz and Getz and JJ.

Great set and good sound recorded in Paris.

The second disc of the AFBF begins with several songs by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee in good form. Then, several excellent songs by T-Bone Walker, backed by a trio including Willie Dixon on bass and Jump Jackson on  drums. Some "purists"/idiots  in the audience are offended by T-Bone Walker's showmanship and start to boo. T-Bone Walker and group then back up vocals from Helen Humes for several songs, before a closing song featuring everyone from the concert.

The third disc awaits, but I did have to skip ahead to hear T-Bone Walker perform Moanin'.

Edited by kh1958

7 hours ago, brownie said:

JATP 1958-1960, à 3CD set with mostly unissued items by the JATP all stars (Roy, Hawk, Carter, Stitt, Byas), Shelly Manne (with Joe Gordon and Richie Kamuca) , Stan Getz

(With  Jan Johansson, Daniel Jordan, William Schlopffe), also Diz and Getz and JJ.

Thanks I ordered a copy.

12 hours ago, brownie said:

This sounds interesting. Do you have a url or something on it?  Where did you see it?!

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

And Ubu, are you sure it's not new, at least to cd? The last JATP concert I have on disc is the Seattle concert from '56.

gregmo

Was just poking ... I like this series a lot and am somewhat pissed by the fact that there's always someone on these sides to step in and mention that "I've known this even before WW I broke out, why are you so excited about this?" ... not everybody was around to buy the Miles and Basie concerts in previous incarnations, not everyone is in some Sinatra fan club that allows 'em to know that this Paris gig was around before, not everyone has 200+ Satchmo discs including some fifty or sixty concerts by the All Stars etc., so this is a nice series, be it to fill gaps, be it to make people aware of some stuff for the first time.

And with Fremeaux, usually production credits are very high, even if, like with this series, booklets are on the small side (and yeah, much higher, for instance, than with the previous two incarnations of Trema/Laserlight reissues ... the old "Pour ceux qui aiment le jazz" edition of the Miles concerts from the 90s has a large booklet, but again, the only other release I have from that time is Ellington's "Théâtre des Champs Elysées, 29-30 Janvier 1965" - I was simply not able to buy more in the day (and probably not even aware this was a series worth looking for, beyond the Miles)

12 hours ago, l p said:

Fremeaux consistently omits previously released tunes from live sessions on the louis armstrong integrale "complete" volumes, i.e. 1948 paris.

Okay, I have to confess I'm not deeply enough into Armstrong's discography ... I'm still a big fan of the series, and in light of their communicating that this Intégrale won't contain each and every note recorded but that they will omit some stuff, I assume they were frank enough about it.

However, now that you mention it, I am interested in this - maybe you feel like expanding on it in the thread dedicated to the series?

The Basie and the Cole/Jones do look new to me.  At least, I can't remember seeing them issued anywhere else.  I'll be in Paris next month, so I'm thinking of picking one or both of them up.  Has anyone heard them? Ubu? (Were they issued before WW1?! ;))

gregmo