Oliver Nelson on Prestige

JSngry

$_1.JPG

Very groovy record, Oliver Nelson basically invisible except as a credit, but still, very nice record, reminds me of why they don't make records like this anymore, naivete has devolved into irony, cynicism now is guilt-free, and, oh, let King Curtis bring a band for the session, yeah, right, what hat-pimping asshole of any color will that be, eh? The line is out the door.

Note that there is no hat on this album covrr. Not needed.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found my DL of the Clea Bradford date today, and...seems that I recall Ms. Bradford being from St. Louis, so, sure, Nelson and Clark Terry, why not, but their contribution are so minimal that never mind why not, WHY?

That + to my ears, the singing sounds like a sincere collection of all the mannerism I don't like of singers I do like, without anything additional added.

All is not lost, though. Patti Bown, both in solo and accompaniment, keeps throwing out all these Cole/Garner-ish tidbits that would not be out of place on some 78 from 15-20 years earlier. Kind of a treat, that is, and if not a treat, at least incentive to listen to the record all the way through once.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to Clark Terry's All-American album, and it is a very subtle ear-opener.

As Chuck noted earlier, fresh takes on tunes I only knew through Ellington readings, and that itself was interesting. What gets really ear-opening is listening really closely to the orchestrations, listening to who's doing what when.

The first thing is that Clark Terry himself is very, very adept at switching from a section, lead trumpet part, to a solo spot with total transparency. So right there, you can write two trumpet parts for just one player. Nelson does this a lot here.

Then there's a trombone, something that Nelson generally didn't use on his Prestige dates. In this case, the trombone's tone & Terry's tone in the same ranges are very similar. So, you can use the trombone as a second trumpet, or pass lines back and forth, start a line with the trombone, pass it to the trumpet and give the trombone a new part without any obvious change in the ensemble texture.

Also, the tenor/bari team is very often written without trombone involved, which gives a different texture, more of a sax section texture, Nelson uses this to his advantage, to create different section sounds at different points in the same arrangement, to create a lot more variety than the instrumentation would allow for a less imaginative arranger.

In fact, that's the biggest fascination about this album for me. Budd Johnson is a treat, as always, and yeah, these players do what these players did (for better and not-so-better). And no, the source material is what it is (which is neither here nor there, really), but the real ear-work is listening to the writing, especially getting to the inner parts and where they all go, and how. It's just four horns, but four horns that are put to maximal variety, especially considering that one of the four is also the lead soloist for the record.

My first listen to the record was a casual one and I was kinda, eh, that's ok. But with subsequent listening, I focused on details and once the game of huh, where did that come from,? I thought he was doing this, if that's not him then who is it, I thought they were doing THAT...starts getting played, fun happens. Especially when you start listening to the bottom notes, now you hear them, now you don't, where did they go?

Very skillful record. Not particularly..."exciting", but for me, I get excited by the way notes can be put together in so many different ways but so seldom are. So in that way, this IS an exciting record.

Ok, that does it, that's almost the entirety of Oliver Nelson's work on and for Prestige, it has been an enlightening and entertaining trip. I considered myself a pretty sharp Oliver Nelson fan going in, but this exploration has really broadened  my appreciation, a lot more than I was expecting. The guy was gifted and prolific from jump, it appears, an original improvisational voice and a pen that never stopped flowing. Esmond Edwards gave him the opportunities, and as far as I can see, he carpe diemed with all of them. Results might have been uneven on occasion, but nothing flat out fails. And the successes soar.

Also notable is the continuity of players from date to date. Personnel evolves over time, but it seems like there's always a continuity between this project and some others, a bit of musical networking no doubt, but also a real ongoing sense that this music is being played as intended in a deeper sense than just getting a satisfactory read-down and then a take, the "read and roll" approach.

So let's look at the schedules that Oliver Nelson had working for Esmond Edwards and Prestige. The guy stayed busy.

All information from http://dougpayne.com/on51-66.htm

10/30 - Meet Oliver Nelson, debut album with Kenny Dorham

3/22 - Taking Care Of Business

4/19 - Lem's Beat (Lem Winchester)

4/22 - Talk That Talk (Johnny Hammond Smith), 3 cuts

5/27 - Screamin' The Blues

8/23 - Nocturne

9/09 - Soul Battle

9/16 - Hollar! (Etta Jones) - 3(? I only really hear 2) cuts + Something Nice  (1 cut)

9/20 - Trane Whistle (Lockjaw)

3/01 - Straight Ahead

3/16 - session with Red Garland, split over two albums

6/09 - First session for Etta Jones' So Warm

6/13 - session with Gene Ammons, split over three albums

6/21 - These Blues (Clea Bradford)

7/25 & 7/28 - remaining sessions for So Warm

8/22 - Blue Seven (Shirley Scott)

8/25 - Main Stem

9/29 & 10/10 - African-American Sketches

12/08 - sessions for It's the Blues, Man (Eddie Kirkland)

2/08 & 2/09 - From the Heart (Etta Jones)

3/09 - second session for for It's the Blues, Man

3/22 - Southern Comfort (Frank Wess)

3/11 & 3/15 - Clark Terry Plays The JAzz Version Of All-American

6/01 - session for Soul Street (Jimmy Forrest), 3 cuts

and finally, two 45 sessions which I have yet to hear (anybody who has these, let's talk):

Faye Adams
New York City: June 26, 1962
Faye Adams (vcl) with orchestra dir. by Oliver Nelson.

a. (3545) Goodnight My Love
b. (3546) You Can Trust In Me
c. (3547) Come On To Me
d. (3548) Blue Raindrops

Issues: a & b on Prestige 45-224 [45].

Jimmy Grissom
New York City: July 3, 1962
Jimmy Grissom (vcl) with Oliver Nelson (as, ts, prob. arr, prob. cond); Dick Hyman (org); Hank Jones (p); Wendell Marshall (b); Ed Shaughnessy (d).

a. (3549) I've Got You On My Mind
b. (3550) Lover's Reverie
c. (3551) Love Has A Thousand Eyes
d. (3552) Get Yourself Another Fool

Issues: a & b on Prestige 45-225 [45].

Nelson continued to work with Edwards on Argo, and of course, Creed Taylor & Bob Thiele came along. But this run of one artist, one producer, multi-faceted output (leader, sideman, arranger, composer), Duke Pearson at Blue Note comes to mind as an immediate comparison, but who else, to this extent?

Anyway, it's been more than a little fun. Now to make shelf space...

A very interesting listening project. I have almost all of this material in LP and/or CD form (no Faye Adams or Jimmy Grissom though), but acquired over many years in random order; it sounds worthwhile to  listen to it all in short order..  

Yeah, it's one helluva run, really. 1962 slows down a little in terms of quantity due to his expanding work elsewhere, but geez...

Also, the Red Garland & Gene Ammons dates are in serious need of collated releases. The Ammons date in particular comes alive when heard at once in a way that it really doesn't when heard as parts of other records (three other records!), that was a very nice date.

Gotta find those 45s...Faye Adams is not necessarily my favorite singers, but I'd like to hear how Oliver treats the bridge on "Goodnight My Love", that's a nifty part of an otherwise mundane song), and I do like me some Jimmy Grissom, actually.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lord, just read this for the first time.

I put the Ammons Mal Waldron session together on 2008 and put it on a CD with 'Night Lights', half from 'Stranger in Town', half ripped from LP. But I NEVER noticed there was another session divided up like the one with Nelson, Holloway, et al.

Will put that together today some time.

Anyone got a suggestion for a cover?

This is what I did for the Mal Waldron Session

MG

The Mal Waldron session.jpg

OK, I've done this one, too. Cover is attached.

I'm glad to have put this together and listened to it as a whole. I think Jug wasn't nearly as comfortable with Oliver and the band as with a piano or organ trio.  I don't think he felt able to phrase as freely as he usually did. This seems to give it a flavour of being a bunch of experiments, rather than an album that conveys something as a whole thing - as the Mal Waldron session does.

Mind you, repeated plays might change my view.

The outstanding track, for me, is 'Love' I've found you'. I've had this since the sixties on the B side of Tubby (both edited down to les than three minutes). On the full length version, we get the full Gene Ammons treatment.

But where the hell did that song COME from? It was written by Berry Gordy and Harvey Fuqua, which clearly suggests some Motown single was the original, but I can't find it on Google. The only versions in Lord are by Gloria Lynne (1959 - arr Melba Liston); Wynton Kelly, with and without Miles, (Mar 1961), Ammons, and Budd Johnson - on a various artist compilation on Argo - 1963. Then Bobo Stenson in 2007. Chequered career for a song.

Gloria's COULDN'T have been the original... could it?

MG

The song is Gene Ammons v1.jpg

Same song.

The Miles Davis and Wynton Kelly recordings have the same credits - Moore & Small

So... Who's mistaken? No one, I think. Who benefits? Fuqua and Gordy, but they didn't need any royalties by sixty-one. But hell, it can't be a genuine error, can it?

I don't get it.

MG

Not sure how much "office" Prestige had in those days...who was the producer? Esmond Edwards, right?

No matter...Danny Small is out some money here.

R-6395139-1418162705-8356.jpeg.jpg

R-4109740-1358448458-5454.jpeg.jpg

Danny Small made a record, but not with that song.

R-4009348-1581519256-4028.jpeg.jpg

R-4009348-1581519259-3588.jpeg.jpg

Dead or alive, he is owed money...unless the Fuquas bought the song from him. Can't rule that out altogether.