Gil Noble Like it Is

fasstrack

used to try to never miss Gil Noble's Like it Is. It was amazing the criticism of U.S. policies towards blacks, and third world peoples generally that were allowed to get past the ABC suits. I guess the 'dead' non-prime-time slot (Sundays at noon) didn't hurt his case. I've also enjoyed interviews with Sonny Rollins, and Jackie McLean. A show from 1972 on Charlie Parker won, I believe, a Grammy or other award. (Unfortunately, I could not locate these). I met Mr. Noble once, in 1995, and he was very warm and gracious. Here is a Like it Is broadcast about the true origins and importance of jazz, from slavery times on up:

I recently stumbled across Black Omnibus, and L.A.-based show hosted by James Earl Jones, which, while not focused on jazz exclusively, does have an ongoing parade of jazz artists as performing guests. Haven't been able to find anything about it's origins past this: http://www.thirteen.org/broadcastingwhileblack/uncategorized/black-omnibus-hosted-by-james-earl-jones/

Wonder if there were any parallels in the production rosters (at the executive level) between this and the Gil Noble show? I've seen Elvin, Abbey Lincoln, Willie Bobo, and Ahmad Jamal so far. And Oscar Brown Jr. doing "40 Acres and a Mule", which was really something special, I don't know how much footage there is of him doing things like that, spoken-word performance pieces.