Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
felser

Billy Bang recommendations sought

17 posts in this topic

I have totally missed on him over the past 40+ years.  Listening to and enjoying "Vietnam Reflections" (thank you Stefan!), which just got here a couple days ago, after having been blown away by his FAB Trio "History of Jazz in Reverse" (thank you Clifford!) earlier in the week.  If I really like both of those titles, what else do I want/need by him?   I always thought Bang would strike me along the lines of Leroy Jenkins, who I always wanted to like but seldom did all that much, but Bang turns out to be something very different.  

VALVE NO. 10 with Frank Lowe is a favorite. Really, all of his Soul Note recordings are worth a listen; after VALVE NO. 10 I'd single out RAINBOW GLADIATOR with Charles Tyler, the Stuff Smith tribute with Sun Ra and John Ore, and the LIVE AT CARLOS I date.

"Vietnam: The Aftermath" and/or "Big Bang Theory".

I saw Billy Bang in two impressive duo concerts with Gunter Hampel in Göttingen (October 1995) and William Parker in Bydgoscz (November 7, 2007). In my shelf: 

25630648hw.jpg

BILLY BANG: OUTLINE NO. 12. CELLULOID CELCD 5004 [1983]

I'll second Untitled Gift and Outline No. 12, and add these two:

Bangception (Hat Musics)

MI0001768669.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

and The Jazz Doctors Intensive Care (Cadillac)

jazzdrs.jpg

On 5/21/2016 at 6:10 PM, Joe said:

VALVE NO. 10 with Frank Lowe is a favorite. Really, all of his Soul Note recordings are worth a listen; after VALVE NO. 10 I'd single out RAINBOW GLADIATOR with Charles Tyler, the Stuff Smith tribute with Sun Ra and John Ore, and the LIVE AT CARLOS I date.

I hope CamJazz releases a BS/SN box in the future.

I'm hoping to see Sweet Space on cd one day. It's so good!

parker-william-scrapbook-2003.jpg

2117.jpg

William Parker: Scrapbook (Thirsty Ear) and FAB Trio: Live at the Sunset (Marge) both contain some very fine Billy Bang.

Edited by paul secor

A bit more out-leaning, but New York Collage, which was reissued by NoBusiness on CD a couple/few years back, is also quite strong.

24 minutes ago, Pim said:

https://elusivedisc.com/billy-bang-lucky-man-music-from-the-film-3lp/

This looks pretty promising to me. I love Bang and I loved his two 'Vietnam' albums on Justin Time. Anyone familiar with the music? I haven't seen the documentary yet.

Yeah, I'm interested in that too, but would prefer digital over a 3 LP set...hoping after that set is released they spread across other media. 

BBE usually do digital, definitely stream on Spotify etc