Billy Bang recommendations sought

felser

I have totally missed on him over the past 40+ years.  Listening to and enjoying "Vietnam Reflections" (thank you Stefan!), which just got here a couple days ago, after having been blown away by his FAB Trio "History of Jazz in Reverse" (thank you Clifford!) earlier in the week.  If I really like both of those titles, what else do I want/need by him?   I always thought Bang would strike me along the lines of Leroy Jenkins, who I always wanted to like but seldom did all that much, but Bang turns out to be something very different.  

VALVE NO. 10 with Frank Lowe is a favorite. Really, all of his Soul Note recordings are worth a listen; after VALVE NO. 10 I'd single out RAINBOW GLADIATOR with Charles Tyler, the Stuff Smith tribute with Sun Ra and John Ore, and the LIVE AT CARLOS I date.

On 5/21/2016 at 6:10 PM, Joe said:

VALVE NO. 10 with Frank Lowe is a favorite. Really, all of his Soul Note recordings are worth a listen; after VALVE NO. 10 I'd single out RAINBOW GLADIATOR with Charles Tyler, the Stuff Smith tribute with Sun Ra and John Ore, and the LIVE AT CARLOS I date.

I hope CamJazz releases a BS/SN box in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Swinger said:

I'm hoping to see Sweet Space on cd one day. It's so good!

SWEET SPACE was paired with UNTITLED GIFT on a CD reissue by 8the Harmonic Breakdown in 2004. OOP now I'm afraid, but used copies are floating around out there in the 2nd-hand market.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Bang-Sweet-SpaceUntitled-Gift/release/4593175

2 hours ago, Joe said:

SWEET SPACE was paired with UNTITLED GIFT on a CD reissue by 8the Harmonic Breakdown in 2004. OOP now I'm afraid, but used copies are floating around out there in the 2nd-hand market.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Bang-Sweet-SpaceUntitled-Gift/release/4593175

Nice to know :) I will add that one on my wantlist @ discogs.

• 4 years later...
24 minutes ago, Pim said:

https://elusivedisc.com/billy-bang-lucky-man-music-from-the-film-3lp/

This looks pretty promising to me. I love Bang and I loved his two 'Vietnam' albums on Justin Time. Anyone familiar with the music? I haven't seen the documentary yet.

Yeah, I'm interested in that too, but would prefer digital over a 3 LP set...hoping after that set is released they spread across other media.