Louis Bellson's "150 MPH"

Larry Kart

Picked up today this 1974 Bellson Big Band CD (orginally recorded for a probably Bellson-owned label, Percussion Power, later on picked up by Concord), and while one pretty much knows how one feels about Bellson’s big band albums, I was surprised by how good this one is. First, it’s fairly early in the band’s lifespan, so the section work is very together and key players are still present: Bobby Shew, Conte Candoli, Sweets, Frank Szabo, Blue Mitchell, Don Menza, Pete Christlieb, Frank Rosolino, Gene Cherico, Ross Tompkins or Nat Pierce, etc. Second, given who the players are, the solo work is consistently inspired: best Shew I’ve ever heard, very intense Sweets and Conte, maniacally virtuosic Rosolino, and a tenor battle between Menza and Christlieb on one track that is seemingly for real and inspires the best/most cohesive Christlieb playing I’ve ever heard, by far. Didn’t know he had it in him. The cherry on top is Bellson’s relatively brief concluding solo on the tenor battle track “Time Check” — admiring his playing as I do, I also tend to find it a bit too rounded off or curved at times, if you know what I mean, but this passage is just raggedy-ass explosive.

I think it was 1979 or 80 I saw them at a London gig. Menza and Shew were still in the lineup. Arnie Lawrence added on saxes. Blue Mitchell had passed not too long before and they did a tribute number to him (I have the feeling it was called 'Blue' - featuring Bobby Shew).

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

I picked up some Louis Bellson LPs on the cheap from Dusty Groove, and have been surprised and impressed.  First there's Louis Bellson Jam (Pablo).  The title is really misleading, because this isn't a jam session; rather, it's a well-arranged and well-rehearsed collection of mostly originals.  7-piece band: Bellson, Blue Mitchell, Pete Christlieb, Ross Tompkins, Gary Pratt, Bob Bain and Emil Richards.  Produced by Bellson (not Granz), which may be why the recording doesn't sound like an afterthought.  I enjoyed this one, and look forward to hearing it again.

The send is Raincheck (Concord).  This is a quintet that includes a teenager named Ted Nash on sax.  He's pretty good, but the true standout is Blue Mitchell - this may be the best Mitchell I've heard.  Again, well thought out and well played.  Bellson is a very tasteful, swinging drummer.

I'm looking forward to listening to Sunshine Rock and Matterhorn (both Pablo), both big band.