Intakt Festival (London) 15-27 April 2017

Nearly a year away but this looks rather good.

From Vortex website:

The Vortex is delighted to be hosting a festival of the innovative and well-established label Intakt in 2017.

"15th April is at King’s Place for London Jazz Composers Orchestra (which is their first performance in the UK for over 15 years) and celebrating Barry Guy’s 70th. The rest is at the Vortex and is just now getting confirmed. But we are particularly excited that it will also include Irene Schweizer who is celebrating her 75th birthday this year and hasn’t visited UK for over a decade. (Though she was here in 1961 working behind the bar at Ronnie Scotts making sandwiches!) And others hopefully involved will include Sylvie Courvoisier, Alexander von Schlippenbach, Louis Moholo (who first played with Irene in 1963 when the Blue Notes first left South Africa), Aki Takase, Ingrid Laubrock, Sleepthief, Mark Feldman and a number of the leading Swiss musicians such as Lucas Niggli, Pierre Favre, Christoph Irniger and Sylvie Courvoisier.

It has been about 4 years in the making since initial discussions with Patrik Landolt in Zurich. Until the funding was sorted out was not simple and so, only now, can we start firming up the line-up.
The only other time that Intakt has done something similar is when they did a two week festival at the Stone in New York.It is also the first time that the Vortex is giving over such a substantial period to one particular festival like this."

That LJCO concert is a must - hopefully there will be a few more over the next couple of days to make an Easter long weekend of it (Easter Sunday is 16th). London residents will be spoilt for choice. 

• 2 months later...

More details:

http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/2016/04/30/intakt-festival-15-27-april-2017/

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/breaking-news/14307-intakt-fest-2017-s-inaugural-day-redux

Sadly the LJCO concert at King's Place has been cancelled due to 'mounting financial costs'. 

Might try to get to the first couple of days - can't afford London for 12 (not sure I've got the stamina!). 

• 4 months later...

london_logo.png

http://www.intaktrec.ch/160901_london-2017_programm.pdf

Verein London Concerts · Intakt Records

Vortex Jazz Club, 11 Gillett Square, London, N16 8AZ
http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk

Sunday, April 16, 2017, 7.30 pm + 9.15 pm

MAYA HOMBURGER – BARRY GUY
Maya Homburger: Violine
Barry Guy: Bass

HOWARD RILEY TRIO WITH BARRY GUY & LUCAS NIGGLI
Howard Riley: Piano
Lucas Niggli: Drums

EVAN PARKER – BARRY GUY
Evan Parker: Saxophone

JÜRG WICKIHALDER – BARRY GUY – LUCAS NIGGLI
BEYOND
Jürg Wickihalder: Saxophone

Monday, April 17, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

TREVOR WATTS – DIETER ULRICH
Trevor Watts: Saxophone
Dieter Ulrich: Drums

LUCAS NIGGLI – JAN GALEGA BRÖNNIMANN – ALY KEÏTA
Jan Galega Brönnimann: Bass Clarinet
Ali Keïta: Balafon

Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

IRÈNE SCHWEIZER – LOUIS MOHOLO MOHOLO
Irène Schweizer: Piano Louis
Moholo Moholo: Drums

OMRI ZIEGELE WHERE’S AFRICA
Feat. Irène Schweizer + Louis Moholo Moholo
Omri Ziegele: Saxophone
Irène Schweizer: Piano
Louis Moholo Moholo: Drums

Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

IRÈNE SCHWEIZER – MAGGIE NICOLS
Irène Schweizer: Piano
Maggie Nicols: Voice

OMRI ZIEGELE NOISY MINORITY
Feat. Percy Pursglove
Jan Schlegel: Bass
Dieter Ulrich: Drums
Percy Pursglove: Trumpet

Thursday, April 20, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

SCHLIPPENBACH PLAYS MONK
Alexander von Schlippenbach: Piano

OMRI ZIEGELE – JOHN EDWARDS – MARK SANDERS
John Edwards: Bass
Mark Sanders: Drums

Friday, April 21, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

BUECHI – KINSELLA – EDWARDS – MARSHALL
WOOD AND BONES
Sarah Buechi: Voice, Composition
Lauren Kinsella: Voice
Hannah Marshall: Cello
John Edwards: Double Bass

SCHLIPPENBACH TRIO
Alexander Von Schlippenbach: Piano
Paul Lovens: Drums

Saturday, April 22, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

INGRID LAUBROCK SLEEPTHIEF
Ingrid Laubrock: Saxophone
Liam Noble: Piano
Tom Rainey: Drums

SARAH BUECHI SHADOW GARDEN
Sarah Buechi: Voice
Stefan Aeby: Piano
André Pousaz: Bass
Lionel Friedli: Drums

Sunday, April 23, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

CHRISTOPH IRNIGER PILGRIM
Christoph Irniger: Saxophone
Dave Gisler: Guitar
Raffaele Bossard: Bass
Michi Stulz: Drums

AKI TAKASE – INGRID LAUBROCK
Aki Takase: Piano
Ingrid Laubrock: Saxophone

Monday, April 24, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

STEFAN AEBY TRIO
André Pousaz: Bass
Michi Stulz: Drums

AKI TAKASE – RUDI MAHALL
Aki Takase: Piano
Rudi Mahall: Saxophone

Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

FLORIAN EGLI WEIRD BEARD
Florian Egli: Saxophone
Dave Gisler: Guitar
Martina Berther: E-Bass
Rico Baumann: Drums

STEVE BERESFORD – JULIAN SARTORIUS
Steve Beresford: Piano
Julian Sartorius: Drums

Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

SYLVIE COURVOISIER – MARK FELDMAN
Sylvie Courvoisier: Piano
Mark Feldman: Violine

PIERRE FAVRE DRUMSIGHTS
Pierre Favre: Drums
Valeria Zangger: Drums
Markus Lauterburg: Drums
Chris Jaeger: Drums

Thursday, April 27, 2017, 8.30 pm + 10.00 pm

PIERRE FAVRE SOLO
Pierre Favre: Drums

COURVOISIER – FELDMAN FEAT. EVAN PARKER
Sylvie Courvoisier: Piano
Mark Feldman: Violine

---

Organisation
Verein London Concerts · Intakt Records
Präsident: Lucas Niggli
Vizepräsidentin: Sarah Buechi
Executive Producers: Anja Illmaier, Florian Keller, Patrik Landolt
Für Vortex: Oliver Weindling, Kathianne Hingwan

No LJCO, alas, and no so special opening night (would have busted the budget, as I was told).

I have booked tickets for the first six nights by now, will be my first London visit since 2001 or 2002 ... if anyone else is there, get in touch!

Also, I see Alex is playing at Cafe Oto on April 14th with Louis Moholo's 5 Blokes, but as I have already booked a (rather cheap, non-refundable) flight for 16th, I'm not going to make that, alas.

Tickets can be bought easiest by selecting the concerts here:

http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/series/intakt-records-festival/

Oh how I wish to at least get there for 4/16, 4/18, 4/20 & 4/21

my bucket list includes seeing Louis Moholo-Moholo, John Edwards, once more Barry Guy (I've only seen the great man once) and of course one more time for Paul Lovens & Alexander von Schlippenbach (I've only seen them one time each) and then of course I've never experienced the original one and only Schlippenbach Trio with Lovens - I was blessed to sees Evan Parker with Alex & Paul Lytton in 2003 in NYC.

and to stay for what really could be the last Schlippenbach Trio gig as I am very surprised to see Paul Lovens listed as it was my understanding due to health issues that he wouldn't be driven to, let alone flying to any gigs in the future.

Lovens is still playing, but not travelling much. When Schlippenbach-Parker-Lytton played here recently, I saw the car with Berlin plates outside  (tiny, by US measurements) ... and I can fully understand why Lovens doesn't feel like ...

Anyway, having heard the original Schlippenbach Trio (once, a few years ago), the current trio is an entirely different band to my ears. Wonderful just as well, but different. More playful, less driven, if that makes sense.

Btw April 18 is my birthday--can't hope for a better party than hearing Moholo all night!

All in all it's pretty much the nights you menton that I am looking forward to!

Edited by king ubu

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 9:38 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Oh how I wish to at least get there for 4/16, 4/18, 4/20 & 4/21

my bucket list includes seeing Louis Moholo-Moholo, John Edwards, once more Barry Guy (I've only seen the great man once) and of course one more time for Paul Lovens & Alexander von Schlippenbach (I've only seen them one time each) and then of course I've never experienced the original one and only Schlippenbach Trio with Lovens - I was blessed to sees Evan Parker with Alex & Paul Lytton in 2003 in NYC.

and to stay for what really could be the last Schlippenbach Trio gig as I am very surprised to see Paul Lovens listed as it was my understanding due to health issues that he wouldn't be driven to, let alone flying to any gigs in the future.

Come to Chicago at the beginning of next September. Louis Moholo-Moholo will lead a group with Alexander Hawkins at the Chicago Jazz Festival. Surely they'll both play at after-festival sets in clubs  and music halls, too.

18 hours ago, Jason Drake said:

"King," nice to meet you at such a great great gig.  Hope the journey home is ok.

Cheers, nice meeting you indeed!! Got home alright, got up way too early, not knowing just how easy and quick things are handled at London City Airport ... boarding started like 5 minutes before take-off and the gate was communicated later than the time given for boarding on the boarding pass. Next time I know and will make good use of it (caught only about 4 hours of sleep as we went for food - and more drinks - after everything was done at the Vortex ... the young guy working for Intakt is an old friend of mine and we hung out together a few times after the concerts, also had some nice chats with many of the musicians ... I met a few of them over breakfast or went to eat with them - a few guys from Zurich, whom I didn't really know in person before though - on my own ... so it got late almost every night for me, glad I had a hotel just around the corner).

Will try and write a few bits about nights 2-5 tomorrow.

Btw, I guess it's okay to tell about it here: the London Jazz Composers Orchestra reunion (that was planned as the festival's opening event but would have busted the budget) will indeed take place ... on the first Sunday of the upcoming 2017 edition of Unerhört festival in Zurich (I think the date should be Sun 19th of November, but not 100% sure ... anyway, flights from CTY to ZRH can be found for around 100 per way, but with hotel, ticket for the evening and some money for food and drinks, it will easily amount to 450-500 in whatever sorta decent money you're calculating, so definitely not cheap, but maybe doable ... usually though it's the second weekend that I find most interesting at Unerhört, when from Thursday to Sunday they have nightly concerts with at least two bands per night, while the beginning of the week consists of scattered concerts ... so far, first Sunday was the opening night, but this time they'll include the first weekend, though not sure yet if that means just Sat/Sun, or even Fri as well ... Patrick Landolt was getting excited when I asked him about this year's line-up though and I hope that means something - I guess it's okay to say that my taste is often, but not always, in line with his, so ...)