Charlie Parker Unheard Bird: The Unissued Takes 2016 Verve

l p

2 hours ago, bichos said:

so you are in prison.....?

surprisingly my copy of the double cd arrives today. no time to hear something but it looks great!!!!  :D

keep boppin´

marcel

Prison would be easier for ordering CDs than where I am. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digital versions are often more expensive than the the hard copies if there's a sale price on the atoms (vs bites).  True of books sometimes too. On the other hand, digital versions of music albums often allow you to buy  (some) cuts separately. 

I just got a chance to hear this - a very fine release, indeed.

The highlight for me is all the new music with Bird's working band from the Spring of 1949.   Less than 19 minutes of music from these sessions was released up until now.  Now we have 35 minutes more.   This was the only time that Norman Granz allowed Bird to record with his working band.  It is also the only studio recordings with the Dorham, Haig, Potter, Roach quintet (with Tommy Turk (tb) and Carlos Vidal (bgo) added on the April session).  Bird is in great form too.  

example: cd1, track 33 (0:42).

at 0:32 after they say 'cut', the music continues for a few seconds, then goes on repeat, and fades out. what is the reason for this? i've heard this process before on old recordings. 

Edited by l p

Ok, I get why some people don't like false starts and incomplete takes, I do, but I love this, maybe more because it's Bird, but also just to hear the real life part of people standing there making a record. How they get ready, how they fall out once a cut is called, all that stuff. Plus it's Bird, so even a few notes of a botched head still sounds better to me than no Bird at all.