Charlie Parker Unheard Bird: The Unissued Takes 2016 Verve

l p

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know just how many of the alternate takes were available at the time "The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve" box was compiled (1988). The same can be said of the recently released "Charlie Parker with Strings" which contains "18 newly discovered, previously unreleased alternate takes". Phil's liner notes make no reference to their "rediscovery". Q

2 hours ago, l p said:

this is the story that they're going with 

"Discovered in a cache of materials owned by a former associate of Norman Granz,..."

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Charlie-Parker------Unheard-Bird--The-Unissued-Takes------July-1--2016-via-Verve-UMe.html?soid=1101403778563&aid=evoigLli29s

Yeah, great story ...

I personally know of one of these alternates an acquaintance has had since at least mid-2011, and it wouldn't seem unreasonable to assume that it and other alternates were circulating well before that date ...

Anyway, I've pre-ordered. Q

• 1 month later...

Does yours say "CD MADE IN MEXICO" on the back? Maybe it's just on the wrapper, I don't know, it just got here today. But yeah, WTF? as in So Freakin' What? Shit gets made all over the world and it gets in fine or finer print, Bird comes in from a day's drive south and itgets advertised in red ink big enough to not go uunnoticed,  racist baiting, internationalist pride, I don't get it, and as soon as I do, I won't. 

south_ofthe_border-1.jpg

On 2 July 2016 at 3:37 AM, JSngry said:

Does yours say "CD MADE IN MEXICO" on the back? Maybe it's just on the wrapper, I don't know, it just got here today. But yeah, WTF? as in So Freakin' What? Shit gets made all over the world and it gets in fine or finer print, Bird comes in from a day's drive south and itgets advertised in red ink big enough to not go uunnoticed,  racist baiting, internationalist pride, I don't get it, and as soon as I do, I won't. 

south_ofthe_border-1.jpg

Help me. I thought we were talking about the strings album.  What is this release?

here in germany, jpc and amazon has street day for the unheard bird changed from 01. july to 08. july! have to wait one week more.

btw: phil schaap had played some of these tracks over the last years in his bird flight program (and it´s still online over wkcr ny, again!)

keep boppin´

marcel

4 hours ago, John L said:

So this appears to be a CD only offering.  Right?  No legit downloads for sale?    I would buy a legit download, but I am not in a place where it is convenient to order a CD.  So... 

so you are in prison.....?

surprisingly my copy of the double cd arrives today. no time to hear something but it looks great!!!!  :D

keep boppin´

marcel