Concord enters the 5 LPs box market

Ok, then, I was wondering...:)

Actually, this is a good chance for Americans to pick up on Rita Reyes and Klaus Doldinger. Don't know how much, if any, of their Mercury output was made available over here. The Crusaders set covers some prime 70s material too, with no American equivalent that I can see.

And OBTW, these sets are being offered through American Amazon, as imports: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=5+Original+Albums

In no way could these be considered "boots", since the "legal" owners - there and here - are the ones releasing them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24.9.2017 at 4:00 AM, medjuck said:

So they do distribute stuff they don't have a contract on? 

Not sure why you follow up so earnestly on a tongue-in-cheek remark from 1.5 years ago, but as I already replied ...

I think there's a huge grey area (which is basically how amazon, feghbook, twitter and others made their indecent gazillions of profit) and I would not trust on product licensed (without any royalties due) for European market NOT being sold/distributed in the US, where royalties would still be due. Can you buy Fresh Sound, Avid etc. at American shops? Well, surely not, right?

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Not sure why you follow up so earnestly on a tongue-in-cheek remark from 1.5 years ago, but as I already replied ...

I think there's a huge grey area (which is basically how amazon, feghbook, twitter and others made their indecent gazillions of profit) and I would not trust on product licensed (without any royalties due) for European market NOT being sold/distributed in the US, where royalties would still be due. Can you buy Fresh Sound, Avid etc. at American shops? Well, surely not, right?

Sorry, I didn't realize the thread had started so long ago.   I'm seriously interested in how it all works.  I know that Amazon and Apple offer grey area material (I suspect Apple doesn't know it's doing it) but they can't be victimized by others doing it to them.  Universal, on the other hand, is (I think) the largest purveyor of  music in the world and holds the American rights to things that other people are exploiting overseas. Since I'm in the US I can't check whether they exploit the law and offer cds from other rights holders and thought you might know. 

Can you buy Fresh Sound, Avid etc. at American shops? Well, surely not, right?

Well, surely yes, such as there are any left that would be so inclined. Don't ask me how they get there, I don't know.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I know that Amazon and Apple offer grey area material (I suspect Apple doesn't know it's doing it)

Apple thanks you for your child-like benevolence, it is truly the way to a better world for all.

And Amazon thanks you for your money, as it too is a way to a better world for all.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well, surely yes, such as there are any left that would be so inclined. Don't ask me how they get there, I don't know.

Apple thanks you for your child-like benevolence, it is truly the way to a better world for all.

And Amazon thanks you for your money, as it too is a way to a better world for all.

No need for sarcasm.  But thanks, it's been a long time since anyone called me child-like. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sorry, nothing towards you. I just find it hard to give either Apple or Amazon the benefit of the doubt about anything. :)

I know a bit about how  you get things on the iTunes store. Once you're accepted as a supplier no humans are involved on their end so unless someone complains  you can put up anything. 

Another Fantasy box I would grab immediately: Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk. I do not have this material yet.

I never understand this complaint of material being 're-released to death'. People are born and die every minute, there is always a new potential market, although youngsters do prefer downloads.

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

Another Fantasy box I would grab immediately: Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk. I do not have this material yet.

I never understand this complaint of material being 're-released to death'. People are born and die every minute, there is always a new potential market, although youngsters do prefer downloads.

I can get you used CDs of volumes 3 & 4 for under $10 each at my local Bull Moose Music. I hate seeing those CDs sitting in that used bin every time I go there. :)

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

That's kind of what drives the Japanese reissue market (as I understand it). Limited quantities at relevant intervals, relevant markets served.

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

Neither Concord or the grey marketeers seem to know the actual order the songs were played in. I wonder if the original tapes exist. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Prestige followed that example in the '60s and '70s. Miles and Trane new releases forever. Smart.

Better than the Japanese model, imo, because they always came with "contemporary" liner notes that were generally quite good reads. And new covers too, not at all "historically accurate" relevant to material, but still...if you know it's old music going in, why not? And if you don't, hey, that worked, didn't it! :g

123790.jpg.

16 hours ago, bertrand said:

Downloads are for the middle-aged - youngsters prefer streaming. :):):)

As for the question of PD material I may be missing the point entirely, but I suspect that when Universal et al are reissuing material in Europe that is PD there they don't pay more fees than necessary, even if they actually do own the material. However, as far as these 5 CD sets are concerned there seem to be individual albums that are actually not in the PD in Europe.