New Dynavector Cartridge for my Rega Planar 3

HutchFan

I'm just back from my local audio shop, where I SPLURGED on a new cartridge for my turntable. I had them install a Dynavector 10X5 on my Rega Planar 3. 

Dynavector-10X5-Cartridge-image.jpg

Now, I've got the improved 'table hooked back up to my system, and I'm spinning some vinyl. At this moment, Richie Kamuca's Richie is playing. 

Phew!!! It sounds great! :g

On 30 May 2016 at 4:02 PM, sidewinder said:

Big fan of Dynavector cartridges here. Looked after well it should give you quite a few years of sterling service !

Seconded . I've had a couple of Dynavectors over the years and they track well especially on the inner grooves and have well balanced and detailed sound. Currently using an XX2 which is good as  I'm ever likely to need.

10 hours ago, Clunky said:

Seconded . I've had a couple of Dynavectors over the years and they track well especially on the inner grooves and have well balanced and detailed sound. Currently using an XX2 which is good as  I'm ever likely to need.

If ever I ever win the lottery I might take a punt on a Te Kaitora Rua..:rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

If ever I ever win the lottery I might take a punt on a Te Kaitora Rua..:rolleyes:

I hear you.  I always tell my kids that if I won the lottery, I'd continue to drive a "normal" car -- but I'd have one HELLUVA stereo system. ;) 

2 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Yikes it looks nice, but that's beyond my price point.

Yeah, it's quite a bit of dough. Honestly, it was a lot more than I planned to spend when I walked in the place. I'd originally intended to get something along the lines of your AT cart.

Here's what sold me on the Dynavector: I was able to do some side-by-side comparisons with the 10X5 and other cartridges at lower price points. The differences were enormous. The Dynavector sounded much, much better in every way. It was no contest, really.

The salesperson knew exactly what he was doing. As soon as I spent a little time with the Dynavector, he knew that I'd want it.  And I did. Doh!!! :huh:

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Dammit I don't want to hear that!!

My audiophile friend praises them too, but he sinks a lot of money into multiple tonearms, cartridges, turntables, amps, etc, etc, whereas I sink my money into records and CDs!

LOL! :D 

I don't consider myself an audiophile. Like you, I'd much rather spend my money on MUSIC -- not equipment. I rarely tinker with my stereo system. My Pinnacle speakers are 25 years old, and I've had my Marantz receiver for about 15 years.

But I'm telling you, this particular piece of kit makes a HUGE difference. If you give it a listen, you will be seduced! ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

Funny; what I thought was my final stereo upgrade a few years back was just that - speakers and receiver/amplifier.  Bought a pair of second hand Paradigm studio 60 v2s and a new Anthem MRX500 amp.  

Maybe if Santa is good to me this Christmas I'll investigate a Dynavector like yours - at least it's high output so I would not have to buy an additional phono stage to power it!

HF, did you have an Elys2 in the RP3? An Ortofan? I have an RP3 decked out with all the Groovetracer upgrades, a TTPSU, the white belt and put an Exact2 cartridge on it. Love the sound, not going to change a thing until I have to (when the cartridge needs replacing, hopefully some years down the road!)

Yes, I had a Rega Elys cartridge on my 'table -- but it was getting worn out. That's why I was in the market for something new.

I've never heard the Exact, but I've read really good things about it. I guess it's in the same neighborhood, price-wise, as the Dynavector, correct?

BTW: I had an Ortofon cartridge on an Music Hall 'table that I owned before the Planar 3. Can't remember the cartridge model. But it was a nice-sounding cartridge. Cost $150-ish, IIRC. (This was years ago.)  But it wasn't in the same league as the Dynavector! ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, I had a Rega Elys cartridge on my 'table -- but it was getting worn out. That's why I was in the market for something new.

I've never heard the Exact, but I've read really good things about it. I guess it's in the same neighborhood, price-wise, as the Dynavector, correct?

BTW: I had an Ortofon cartridge on an Music Hall 'table that I owned before the Planar 3. Can't remember the cartridge model. But it was a nice-sounding cartridge. Cost $150-ish, IIRC. (This was years ago.)  But it wasn't in the same league as the Dynavector! ;) 

Thanks . . . yes, I really liked the Elys2 but the Exact2 is a big step up, and about the same dollars as the Dynavector. I got a great deal on a second RP3 with a new Exact2 and the TTPSU and sold my first RP3 with the Elys2. Adding the Groovetracer upgrades was a further big improvement, I'm really satisfied.

Kevin a cartridge with a bump to high frequencies wouldn't work for me! I'm very sensitive to high end . . flat works best for me.

On 4 June 2016 at 6:51 PM, HutchFan said:

I hear you.  I always tell my kids that if I won the lottery, I'd continue to drive a "normal" car -- but I'd have one HELLUVA stereo system. ;) 

A Naim Statement pre/power amp combo would also be on my list with a lottery win. Have heard one in action with a Linn LP12 and it is absolutely phenomenal. Not sure about the quarter million dollars price tag (US import version) though ! :o

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, the cost of those super-high-end systems can be RIDICULOUS!  

When I was in the local shop here in Atlanta, the salesperson played a few tunes for me on one of his top-of-the-line systems. I don't recall what the components were, but it sounded really, really good, of course. I asked him what the whole system would cost, approximately.  He said the total price would be north of $300,000.  Yikes!

I wouldn't spend THAT MUCH on a stereo even if I DID win the lottery! :blink:  ...Now if we're talking, say, one TENTH of that -- $30K -- post-lottery. I could see that happening pretty easily.

But I probably won't win the lottery anytime soon -- especially since I don't even play! ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

• 5 months later...

Catching up on threads so sorry to dredge up an old one. Congrats on the cart. LOVE the DV line and have stepped through the line up from 10x5 (on a Rega variant) to the 20X and have had an XX2 on the NA for 8+ years. I only wish they had a more "affordable" mono cart. I had to deviate from the DV line and go with an Ortofon cart for the mono setup.

So to keep this timely, what are your impressions after six months of "break in?"

Edited by spinlps