BFT 147 Discussion

mjzee

Hmmm...took a quick cursory listen of all 15 tracks to see if any were instantly familiar but nope!  Track two had a distinct Kwela feel so of course Dudu Pukwana and/or Chris McGregor immediately spring to mind but I'm not sure about that.  Track one has a UK sound with that electric varitone sax sound..somewhere in the Nucleus camp I'd guess.  

Track 12

Sounds like an Oscar Pettiford group with Pettiford soloing on cello and Julius Watkins on French horn. I don't think the tenorman is Rouse who played with O.P. - could it be Frank Foster or Jimmy Heath?

Track 13

O.P. again! This time in a Lucky Thompson group with, I think, Jimmy Cleveland on trombone - and is that Hank Jones-ish piano in fact Don Abney?

#8 is very familiar, but I’m blanking at the moment.  Groovy, and something I haven’t heard in a long time.

#9 is less familiar, but also groovy.  Need to listen some more to this one…

#10 is “It was a very good year” from “Introducing the Fabulous Trudy Pitts” (Prestige, 1967) with Pat Martino.  Love it.

#11 is Kenny Burrell’s tune “Loie”, from Ike Quebec’s “Bossa Nova Soul Samba” (Blue Note, 1962 ) with Burrell, Wendell Marshall and Willie Bobo.

#12  Some badass bebop.  Oscar Pettiford?  The sextet on Debut?  Gotta be Julius Watkins on french horn.

#13 sounds like one of those 80’s Golson and Fuller sessions… on Contemporary?

#14… “7 Come 11”.  A Concord date?  Guitarist reminds me of Herb Ellis, but I’m not sure it’s him.  Maybe Terry Gibbs on vibes?  The somewhat “modern” soprano is stumping me…

1. Sounds like UK trio 'Back Door'?

2. Carlos Ward Group?

3. Wild-ass guess - Ginger Baker?

4. Lee Morgan with Curtis Fuller on Blue Note. One of Lee's trademark calypsos. I have this one but can't immediately place it. Is this from 'Tom Cat'?

5. Kolbe/Illenberger on Mood Records?

6. Sounds like it might be Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy with Bob Stewart on tuba.

7. 'On The Sunny Side Of The Street'. No idea on the vocalist.

8. Art Farmer with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins. 'Ditty' from 'The Summer Knows' on East Wind.

9. Sounds like a Thad Jones 1950s group. WIth Frank Wess?

10. Late 60s organ group - immediately recognised the styles of Trudi Pitts and Pat Martino but no idea on the album. 'It Was A Very Good Year'.

11. Ike Quebec on Blue Note from 'Bossa Nova Soul Samba'.

12. Julius Watkins Sextet on Blue Note with a young Hank Mobley.

13. Lucky Thompson (tenor) and Jimmy Cleveland (trombone) with Hank Jones and Oscar Pettiford. From the 'Dancing Sunbeam' reissue I think.

14. That must be Dexter Gordon on soprano - only Dexter phrases like that. Presumably the album with Lionel Hampton (sure sounds like Hamp) on 'Lionel Hampton Presents'.

15. John Scofield on guitar with Eddie Harris (sax) from 'Hand Jive' on Blue Note. Another one which I have and really must dig out..

All in all a very listenable collection !

Edited by sidewinder

Great answers, everyone!

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

1. Sounds like UK trio 'Back Door'?

It is indeed!  From their first album.

2. Carlos Ward Group?

8 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Track two had a distinct Kwela feel so of course Dudu Pukwana and/or Chris McGregor immediately spring to mind but I'm not sure about that.

Both close guesses.  Carlos Ward is on sax, but is not the leader.

3. Wild-ass guess - Ginger Baker?

This one is a bit obscure.  But try putting some mustard on that pie...

4. Lee Morgan with Curtis Fuller on Blue Note. One of Lee's trademark calypsos. I have this one but can't immediately place it. Is this from 'Tom Cat'?

You're on the right track.  It is Lee but not Curtis.  Not from Tom Cat.

5. Kolbe/Illenberger on Mood Records?

Nope.  Point your compass elsewhere.

6. Sounds like it might be Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy with Bob Stewart on tuba.

Again, no.  This one might surprise you.

8. Art Farmer with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins. 'Ditty' from 'The Summer Knows' on East Wind.

Correct!  I don't know why I've always loved this track.  Is it in an unusual key?  Something about it sounds very '50's, even though it was recorded in 1976.

6 hours ago, Jim R said:

#9 is less familiar, but also groovy.  Need to listen some more to this one…

9. Sounds like a Thad Jones 1950s group. WIth Frank Wess?

Nope.  This one will definitely surprise you.

6 hours ago, Jim R said:

#10 is “It was a very good year” from “Introducing the Fabulous Trudy Pitts” (Prestige, 1967) with Pat Martino.  Love it.

10. Late 60s organ group - immediately recognised the styles of Trudi Pitts and Pat Martino but no idea on the album. 'It Was A Very Good Year'.

Correct!  I have this on her Legends of Acid Jazz release.

6 hours ago, Jim R said:

#11 is Kenny Burrell’s tune “Loie”, from Ike Quebec’s “Bossa Nova Soul Samba” (Blue Note, 1962 ) with Burrell, Wendell Marshall and Willie Bobo.

11. Ike Quebec on Blue Note from 'Bossa Nova Soul Samba'.

Correct again!

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 12

Sounds like an Oscar Pettiford group with Pettiford soloing on cello and Julius Watkins on French horn. I don't think the tenorman is Rouse who played with O.P. - could it be Frank Foster or Jimmy Heath?

6 hours ago, Jim R said:

#12  Some badass bebop.  Oscar Pettiford?  The sextet on Debut?  Gotta be Julius Watkins on french horn.

3 hours ago, Caravan said:

#12 - Oscar Pettiford on cello with Julius Watkins (french horn), Phil Urso (ts), Walter Bishop (p), Mingus (b), Percy Brice (dr). The tune is called Pendulum IIRC.

Again, correct!  It is Oscar with Julius.  Phil Urso on tenor.  "Pendulum At Falcon's Lair" - what an atmospheric title!

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 13

O.P. again! This time in a Lucky Thompson group with, I think, Jimmy Cleveland on trombone - and is that Hank Jones-ish piano in fact Don Abney?

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

13. Lucky Thompson (tenor) and Jimmy Cleveland (trombone) with Hank Jones and Oscar Pettiford. From the 'Dancing Sunbeam' reissue I think.

#13 - Lucky Thompson

It is indeed Lucky with Cleveland and Oscar.  Osie Johnson on drums and Hank Jones on piano.  I sometimes think anything with Jimmy Cleveland, Oscar, or Osie on it is gonna be good.  I have this on both Dancing Sunbeam and its CD reissue "Tricotism."  Essential music.

6 hours ago, Jim R said:

#14… “7 Come 11”.  A Concord date?  Guitarist reminds me of Herb Ellis, but I’m not sure it’s him.  Maybe Terry Gibbs on vibes?  The somewhat “modern” soprano is stumping me…

14. That must be Dexter Gordon on soprano - only Dexter phrases like that. Presumably the album with Lionel Hampton (sure sounds like Hamp) on 'Lionel Hampton Presents'.

#14 - Dexter Gordon on soprano

Excellent.  The giants of jazz have such a recognizable sound that it's difficult to have something on a BFT that's not obvious.  I thought presenting Dex on soprano would be fun.  It is the Lionel Hampton date.  The guitarist is not Herb Ellis.  And who is that pianist?

15. John Scofield on guitar with Eddie Harris (sax) from 'Hand Jive' on Blue Note. Another one which I have and really must dig out..

Correct!

1 – Quite the bass player.  Reminds me of a british guy named Colin Hodgkinson, who played in a group called Back Door.  Haven’t heard them in 40+ years, but he left a lasting impression on me.

2 – Another impressive bass player, but the island groove is not my kind of groove overall.

3 – N/A to my world.

4 – Another island groove lost on me.

5 – Don’t think this is jazz.  Sort of a Leo Kottke groove but not Kottke, too sprightly for John Fahey.

6 – Dirty Dozen brass band?  Certainly learned their JB lessons, whoever they are.  Good trumpet for what it is.

7 – Raucus “On The Sunny Side of the Street”.  Ancient.  Did I hear that first line correctly?

8 – Very nice.

9 –  Tasteful for sure, but doesn’t do a lot for me.  I’m sure I know the trumpet player and pianist.  Flute player sounds off his game to me.

10 – “It Was A Very Good Year” by Philly’s own Trudy Pitts and Pat Martino from ‘Introducing Trudy Pitts’.  First thing on the BFT that falls into “love it/gotta have it” territory for me.   Thankfully, I do.   Don’t sleep on the Prestige Legends of Acid Jazz CD that has this set.

11 – One of those pre-bop tenor players who grew up on Coleman Hawkins.  Could be Hawk himself from the bossa nova album he did on Prestige.  I’m not good at that breed of player.

12 – Oscar Pettiford  on cello with Julius Watkins and Phil Urso from ‘The New Oscar Petttiford Sextet’.  “Pendulum at Falcon’s Lair”.   

13 – I like this.  Benny Golson with Curtis Fuller?  Not placing the tune

14 – Great control of soprano, enjoy the walking bass  Vibes sounds like Lionel Hampton, so I am going to assume it is a later album by him, as something this old sounding would seem to be from before the soprano caught on for modern jazz.  Very clean guitar.  Sort of recognize the tune as swing era?  Look forward to the ID.

15 – Annoying guitar player.  John Scofield?  He annoys me like that. 

Edited by felser
misspelled Scofield, remembering old Pirates SS.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

It is indeed!  From their first album.

That first 'Back Door' LP with Colin Hodgkinson and Ron Aspery was initially a private pressing I think on the 'Blakey' label. Nothing to do with Art but the pub where they used to do gigs - the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, a pretty remote spot in the North Yorkshire countryside . It was reissued on a major label (Warners?) but that first issue for me is unique in that to originally get hold of it not only would you have had to not only have been a keen jazz collector but also most likely a keen outward bounds trekker training for a Duke of Edinburgh Award !  :D

I saw the 'Back Door II' lineup a few years ago and it was great fun. Sadly, Colin Hodkinson was the only survivor of the original lineup.

52 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That first 'Back Door' LP with Colin Hodgkinson and Ron Aspery was initially a private pressing I think on the 'Blakey' label. Nothing to do with Art but the pub where they used to do gigs - the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, a pretty remote spot in the North Yorkshire countryside . 

Blakey Ridge, eh? That takes me back! At a tender age - though not too young to be already diggin' the sounds - a group of us hitchiked from Leeds to the north Yorkshire coast, raising a cheer as Blakey Topping came into view. The experience inspired us to make a subsequent pilgrimage to Monk Bridge Road in Leeds. Those were the days! :lol:

4 hours ago, felser said:

1 – Quite the bass player.  Reminds me of a british guy named Colin Hodgkinson, who played in a group called Back Door.  Haven’t heard them in 40+ years, but he left a lasting impression on me.

It is Colin Hodgkinson and Back Door.

5 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

Is #2 Abdullah Ibrahim/Dollar Brand?

Yes!

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

4. Eureka  !  Its Lee with Julian Priester. From that second session included on 'The Procrastinator'. 'Craw-till-da' by Mickey Roker. George Coleman is also on that session. Harry Belafonte rip-off/cash-in.:cool:

Close enough.  It's all correct except it's from the extra session included on Sonic Boom.  I wanted to include something on BN in this BFT, but it seemed like most of what was released on that label would be obvious to board members.  This track had the potential to stump some here.

5 – Don’t think this is jazz.  Sort of a Leo Kottke groove but not Kottke, too sprightly for John Fahey.

Actually, it is Leo Kottke.  There is a jazz connection to this track that I will reveal in due time, unless someone beats me to it.

6 – Dirty Dozen brass band?  Certainly learned their JB lessons, whoever they are.  Good trumpet for what it is.

Not the Dirty Dozen brass band, but interesting that you mention JB...

7 – Raucus “On The Sunny Side of the Street”.  Ancient.  Did I hear that first line correctly?

:g  I believe she's singing "Grab your hat, coat, cane..."

10 – “It Was A Very Good Year” by Philly’s own Trudy Pitts and Pat Martino from ‘Introducing Trudy Pitts’.  First thing on the BFT that falls into “love it/gotta have it” territory for me.   Thankfully, I do.   Don’t sleep on the Prestige Legends of Acid Jazz CD that has this set.

Love all the love being thrown to Trudy Pitts.  I worked alongside Danny Davis at a record store for a few years.  He was also from Philadelphia, and he always brought up Trudy Pitts as the punchline to a joke he didn't mention.  Like if someone was disparaging some musician, Danny would say "At least it wasn't Trudy Pitts!"  It was just funny to him.  Once I actually heard Ms. Pitts, I decided she was fine with me.

5 hours ago, felser said:

11 – One of those pre-bop tenor players who grew up on Coleman Hawkins. 

A good description of Ike Quebec.

#14 - Guitar player is Billy Mackel?

Interesting.  I actually had to look up Billy Mackel, but it's not him.  Think all-star date.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My 'Procrastinator' is on Toshiba for the CD and also Liberty blue label 2LP set - which include this session. So do I get the points? :cool:

Oh hell yeah!  With your name, I should've known you'd get your Lee Morgan correct!

1. Ornette from Body Meta or Of Human Feelings period.
2. Something familiar here.  Sounds like Township jazz from South Africa. Dudu Pukwana, or Chris McGregor?
3. Mostly Drums.  Not Max.  Maybe Blakey.
4. Composition reminiscent of Harry Belafonte - maybe that's just a dispoportionate share of the calypso I've heard
5. Almost solo guitar but not quite.  Who's the Brazilian guitarist I am trying to think of? Googling Brazilian Jazz Guitar gives me Baden Powell as the name I was trying to think of
6. Reminiscent of Maceo, except there's too much trumpet.  Gil Evans?
7. On the sunny side of the street.  Maybe Helen Humes
8. Bass and piano have a modern sound.  Later Art Farmer?
9. Early Lee Morgan?  
10. Joey DeFrancesco and Pat Martino?
11. Getz with Johnny Smith?
12. A bassist (or cellist) usually has to be the leader to get this much featured soloist time.  Oscar Pettiford?
13. Jazz Messengers?  Griffin and Golson come to mind for the effortless speed on tenor.
14. If it's Milt Jackson it has to be late in his career, they didn't record basses this way before the 70s.  Perhaps an accomplished Criss Cross crew?
15. Guitarist who's not afraid to allow some rock influence back in.  Bill Frisell is a possibility

2 hours ago, randyhersom said:

1. Ornette from Body Meta or Of Human Feelings period.
2. Something familiar here.  Sounds like Township jazz from South Africa. Dudu Pukwana, or Chris McGregor?
3. Mostly Drums.  Not Max.  Maybe Blakey.
4. Composition reminiscent of Harry Belafonte - maybe that's just a dispoportionate share of the calypso I've heard
5. Almost solo guitar but not quite.  Who's the Brazilian guitarist I am trying to think of? Googling Brazilian Jazz Guitar gives me Baden Powell as the name I was trying to think of
6. Reminiscent of Maceo, except there's too much trumpet.  Gil Evans?
7. On the sunny side of the street.  Maybe Helen Humes
8. Bass and piano have a modern sound.  Later Art Farmer?
9. Early Lee Morgan?  
10. Joey DeFrancesco and Pat Martino?
11. Getz with Johnny Smith?
12. A bassist (or cellist) usually has to be the leader to get this much featured soloist time.  Oscar Pettiford?
13. Jazz Messengers?  Griffin and Golson come to mind for the effortless speed on tenor.
14. If it's Milt Jackson it has to be late in his career, they didn't record basses this way before the 70s.  Perhaps an accomplished Criss Cross crew?
15. Guitarist who's not afraid to allow some rock influence back in.  Bill Frisell is a possibility

I liked your answers, Randy.  I especially liked #6...